Cup given out for Beverage/Soda Package

RBRSKI

I love showing off/using my cup post cruise to my friends and family, however, does anyone else feel they should seek out a better quality product?  I would love a "Top Dishwasher Safe" cup because hand washing is for the birds!  I have older ones that are in better shape then the ones I got three months ago!

21 hours ago, RBRSKI said:

I would love a "Top Dishwasher Safe" cup because hand washing is for the birds! 

I agree that in today's day and age, cups need to be dishwasher safe or I don't buy it. Unfortunately too many RC coffee mugs I've bought suffer from not holding up well to the dishwasher, and frankly, I'm not spending time hand washing them.

giphy.gif

Not just the soda cups, but even the specialized drink cups you can get at some bars really are low quality. I have had around a dozen of them and only one remains to this day. Amazing enough, the one that survived was from my Honeymoon cruise back in 2012, almost 7 years ago, even the lights on the cup still work!

Sadly the few cents they are saving on these cheaper made cups is a sign of the times.  All the pennies saved on making merchandise cheaper is bigger profit for whomever and not just R.C..  Our older cruise items are still looking really good.  We never use the dishwasher for insulated mugs,cups,etc.   They are hand washed and they still fog up over time.  

• 2 weeks later...

Yea, I'll be honest it looks a good bit cheaper than the last ones.

Looking the the images the plastic looks thinner. Yea not a fan, certainly no WOW to that change, even it if isn't RC making the change they are certainly a big enough client to push back on the vendor

I'm mixed opinion about these new cups. One one hand they do seem easier to haul around with the carry handle. One benefit is it looks like the handle is removable. Also like the idea of having a straw.

Now the flip side they do seem a bit cheap looking. Then again the current cups aren't all that either. Think maybe if the lid wasn't a dome shape it might be more appealing. Artwork on the outside is just a rehash of the current artwork, just not shiny.

I also think a few years back they had a non-insulated cup that did seem similar. Biggest complaint was the lid was a snap on and difficult to remove and snap back on.

Really for me it comes down to one question. How easy can the "chip" be removed?

7 minutes ago, JerseyJoe said:

That link says the previous cups didn't have a built-in straw. Knowing that they use paper straws on the ships (awful), I would think the addition of a built-in straw would be a good thing. Am I wrong?

No you're not. That's a good idea.

I personally don't use straws, as I tend not to get ice in my drinks. Working in the food service industry for so many years, I've seen the inside of too many ice machines! ?

Ok...so does anyone KNOW if these new cups are insulated?  I think they are ugly and cheap looking, but if they're insulated, we will use them...just needing to know.  I read the blog article and saw the photos, but I cannot find where nayone said whether these new ones are actually insulated or not...

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 4:09 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

Sorry, but I think that thing is hideous.  I don't use any of them so it's no problem for me but....really ?  UGH

I don't know what the old one looks like, but I did see the blog post for the new one.  It just looks cheap, I hope there is enough backlash that they provide something better.

2 minutes ago, 12thman said:

If the cups have a chip so the machines know to dispense product. What keeps used cups from being used on another cruise? Are the chips specific to those machines?

The chips are tied to a system that keeps track of each cup, so it knows how long you can use it and where. So if you took back to back cruises, or a different cruise, without buying a new package, it would not work on the second trip (unless they were really lazy with the setup, I guess).

4 minutes ago, 12thman said:

Okay, I'm sure I'll leave it somewhere and forget. So if someone picks up my cup because I left it they get free pop for the rest of the cruise? Does the system disable that cup when I get a replacement?

I think, like a hotel key card, they can disable the old chip in the cup that you lost and enable the chip in your new cup for the remainder of your cruise.