Safe Size

In my opinion...   theft can occur anywhere, but my biggest concern doesn't always start with my cabin attendant directly.  They might prop a door open on a cabin while they clean it and then a fellow guest walking past could seize the opportunity to dash in and grab something in plain sight. 

With my cabin attendant in the bathroom cleaning it, there could be a brief moment for a scum bag to dash in and dart out.  

For this reason I don't leave things out in plain sight.  

Could a crew member enter your cabin and steal something?  Possibly but IMO that is unlikely.  Thy might get away with it once but if they repeated the crime it would be pretty obvious to ship security that they are a stealing.  If caught they would be put off in the next port without a ticket home.  That's a pretty big deterrent compared to a fellow guest who doesn't think that would ever happen to them.   

Well, any place outside my home my electronics and things of value (monetarily or sentimental) gets locked up. Had items stolen and not a feeling I want to experience again. 

Really don't think a room attendant would take something, my concern would be someone passing by.

• 3 years later...

We bought the base model iPad for travel.  It will fit in a safe and offers a large enough screen to be usable.  We also keep it by the couch in our great room at home.  We use it a quite bit more at home than I thought so it isn't just a nice to have travel item.

10 minutes ago, CruisingNewb said:

I may be wrong, but the safe sizes differ in each class of stateroom.  I think, but could be wrong, that certain suites have bigger safes.  Can anyone verify this?

Yes. Depending on the ship. Some suites have larger safes that can accommodate laptops.

18 minutes ago, CruisingNewb said:

I may be wrong, but the safe sizes differ in each class of stateroom.  I think, but could be wrong, that certain suites have bigger safes.  Can anyone verify this?

Yes, the safe in the GS on Symphony is quite large, in my opinion, and can easily fit a laptop, even 2.

On 4/2/2019 at 11:31 PM, twangster said:

In my opinion...   theft can occur anywhere, but my biggest concern doesn't always start with my cabin attendant directly.  They might prop a door open on a cabin while they clean it and then a fellow guest walking past could seize the opportunity to dash in and grab something in plain sight. 

With my cabin attendant in the bathroom cleaning it, there could be a brief moment for a scum bag to dash in and dart out.  

For this reason I don't leave things out in plain sight.  

Could a crew member enter your cabin and steal something?  Possibly but IMO that is unlikely.  Thy might get away with it once but if they repeated the crime it would be pretty obvious to ship security that they are a stealing.  If caught they would be put off in the next port without a ticket home.  That's a pretty big deterrent compared to a fellow guest who doesn't think that would ever happen to them.   

Not to mention the cameras in the hallway. 

As a retired security professional, I too try to secure whatever I can whenever I leave my room/cabin.  HOWEVER, my laptop is about the only thing that I MAY leave out when I leave the room.  I don't leave it where it is easily viewable and I make sure it is powered off, I don't store any C.C. numbers in it, I try not to use any autofill features, it is password protected, I use an external hard drive to store any/all important documents on/in, I log off of all cloud accounts.  If someone wants to take my laptop and can defeat my password protection, they're in for a great several hours of viewing my personal/family photos and videos.  Everything else of great value goes into the safe, wallet, cash, passports, phone, other small electronics, etc.  Doesn't leave room for a laptop.  So, I'm good.