Oasis Crane Crash

I’m not sure those photos are up to date? It looks like they were taken shortly after the incident happened because a picture I saw posted by a crew member (with the theater in the background) showed a different story. They’ve also apparently been working on the theater during the journey so hopefully it’s ready by 5/5. 

It's not known when those pictures were taken.  The seats have been removed so it seems likely they need to remove the decking and work on the supporting structure underneath that is most likely damaged in places.  As you could imagine a crane is pretty heavy.  I'm surprised a falling crane didn't do more damage.  

OMG that looks awful.  I would imagine that the damage is a combination of initial damage and demo work to repair.  I don't want to jinx anything but I sure don't see how they are going to have this feature restored by early May.  I guess just having the ship operational will be enough.  Hoping that everything comes together quickly and effectively.

I think they will get it fixed before October.  I imagine they are planning alternate shows now in Miami at their entertainment studios for the interim.  

Some of the damage to the moving underwater platforms will likely require custom ordered parts they can't source this month.   It's a complex mechanical system with many interlocks to ensure no one is hurt as platforms move during a show with scuba divers underwater to move cast and set pieces underwater out of sight.  It's pretty elaborate and they simply don't have enough time to fix the visible damage and fully test the system before May 5.  

they are working around the clock as it makes it’s way to dry dock.  They may make it look presentable by May 5 but I dought the Aqua show will be up and running. As others mentioned it is a highly technical under/over water show. However. The performers are suppose to board the ship Mid to late April. So there may be some type of scaled down show at the aqua theatre if it is not fully functional. 

29 minutes ago, LeeMannn said:

they are working around the clock as it makes it’s way to dry dock.  They may make it look presentable by May 5 but I dought the Aqua show will be up and running. As others mentioned it is a highly technical under/over water show. However. The performers are suppose to board the ship Mid to late sept. So there may be some type of scaled down show at the aqua theatre if it is not fully functional. 

Don’t see why the performers would join that late it goes into the scheduled dry dock from the 22nd September ?

they are working around the clock as it makes it’s way to dry dock.  They may make it look presentable by May 5 but I dought the Aqua show will be up and running. As others mentioned it is a highly technical under/over water show. However. The performers are suppose to board the ship Mid to late sept. So there may be some type of scaled down show at the aqua theatre if it is not fully functional. 

41 minutes ago, LeeMannn said:

The new cast just boarded a few weeks ago. They are only doing a 6 month contract until drydock. They are currently being taken care of at the studios in miami. And being well taken care of by Royal. 

Must be difficult to stay in show shape despite how good the Miami facilities are.  Nothing like being in the actual aqua pool.  

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

Better to be early rather than late.

Like you said when she was running 18 knots, make up the difference while you can just in case, then you can always slow down.

I don't understand why it's going to take the rest of today and tomorrow, it's only an inch away on the map, lol.

And how much more damage will they find in dry dock?  And how much of that news will even be circulated.  Would not be surprised to see the ship put back in service with a lot of work being done while ship is making cruises to keep income flowing in.  And will they announce or publish it at all and to what extent. And why did it slow down so much. And last it creeps in under the cover of darkness.  HMMMMMMM

So here it goes, this is our first time on a cruise ship and it just so happens we've been planning this for over 2 yrs as we're celebrating our 25th and we hear about this accident. What I would like to know is there anyone from royal Caribbean updating the status? considering they have cancelled April 7th 14 and the 21st cruising dates but the ship did not enter the dry dock until the 22nd of April in spain and from viewing the pictures there is a lot of work on the rear of the ship that needs to be done. For those of us travelling in May and what about those who have decided to travel 2weeks in advance and then take the cruise ship out of Barcelona how do you notify these people who are already on holidays? Oh by the way you cruise has been cancelled...... royal Caribbean needs to step up and notify travelers and be honest. If they were planning 1 month to repair the ship like they previously mentioned that it was going to be in a dry dock April 2nd and it's now April 22nd then that would mean May 5th, 12th and 19th should be cancelled now. Do the right thing royal, notify people now and not later. Also why is it so difficult to find on your web site about these updates? What are you hiding? Your reputation? This should be right underneath "press release " I hope to see a response from royal Caribbean soon.

23 minutes ago, Joeana said:

So here it goes, this is our first time on a cruise ship and it just so happens we've been planning this for over 2 yrs as we're celebrating our 25th and we hear about this accident. What I would like to know is there anyone from royal Caribbean updating the status? considering they have cancelled April 7th 14 and the 21st cruising dates but the ship did not enter the dry dock until the 22nd of April in spain and from viewing the pictures there is a lot of work on the rear of the ship that needs to be done. For those of us travelling in May and what about those who have decided to travel 2weeks in advance and then take the cruise ship out of Barcelona how do you notify these people who are already on holidays? Oh by the way you cruise has been cancelled...... royal Caribbean needs to step up and notify travelers and be honest. If they were planning 1 month to repair the ship like they previously mentioned that it was going to be in a dry dock April 2nd and it's now April 22nd then that would mean May 5th, 12th and 19th should be cancelled now. Do the right thing royal, notify people now and not later. Also why is it so difficult to find on your web site about these updates? What are you hiding? Your reputation? This should be right underneath "press release " I hope to see a response from royal Caribbean soon.

First, welcome to our boards!  

Second, this is a fan blog and not Royal Caribbean.  Unfortunately Royal does not read these posts.  You're best contacting them directly.  They are very responsive on both Facebook and Twitter.