Oasis Crane Crash

3 hours ago, Barbara T said:

Just reserved on Harmony in August.  Ended up costing about $800 more than first cruise but still grateful got something to my liking.  Just didn't want to book in summer when kids are out.  The less kids the better since I have 4 of my own and it's an anniversary trip.....lol

Awww, come on Mom, whats one little cruise, take them with you, lol. Just kidding.

Glad this worked out for you, as much as I love Oasis, Harmony is my favorite (Have not been on Symphony), you will love her, I will be on her again in October.

Is the cruise out of Port Canaveral in August? If so you might look at your airplane tickets, Orlando/MCO flights have been some of the most expensive I have bought lately from Tulsa.

5 hours ago, twangster said:

Conversely, when Royal came up with the Oasis and Quantum concepts the business model was planned and executed knowing the shipyards in Europe would be required in the long term plan.  That plan was likely built and approved assuming transatlantic sailings for dry dock.  That will continue to be the support model for these mega ships and I for one am glad of that since I get to take transatlantic sailings on them.

Carnival came up with the Oasis concept; but, never acted upon it. RCCL bought the plans & tweak it a bit...and whala, an Oasis Class ship was born. 

6 hours ago, twangster said:

We are mere guests like yourself so none of us has any inside information but in my opinion, a May 19 cruise is likely to proceed as planned with the information available at this time.

Royal was very quick to email me and text me about my cancellation.  

If I had a cruise and flights booked for May 19 I would assume it's going ahead as planned.  

Thank you; I've been in communication with Royal all morning and they keep saying that the May dates are still scheduled as planed. I did some more research and found out that our airline (Delta)would charge us around $900 to change the international flights which would be covered by the $800 offered by RC as compensation.

In fact, because we're not stuck to our sail date of May 19th, it would be a financially beneficial if they did cancel it because we'd get another cruise out of it for roughly the $100 or so we'd need to pay to change flights. Emotionally it would be a pain to have to move everything though so hoping for the best. Thankfully we booked everything on our own and have complete control over the full process. 

23 minutes ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

Carnival came up with the Oasis concept; but, never acted upon it. RCCL bought the plans & tweak it a bit...and whala, an Oasis Class ship was born. 

Royal developed Oasis plans using a long time relationship with Wilson Butler.  

Here is one of Wilson Butler's earlier concepts:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2018/02/15/meet-the-oasis-of-the-seas-never-was

10 minutes ago, VinceC said:

From what I was hearing RCI was giving a FULL REFUND and an FREE Equivalent Cruise.   Is this true?

From what I have read, the full refund is for the cruise that was cancelled, minus the cost of any cruise insurance purchased.  As far as a future cruise, the future cruise certificate (FCC) will be in the amount of the cruise fare portion only.  So "free equivalent cruise" isn't exactly accurate but pretty close.

16 minutes ago, Barbara T said:

I would have much rather kept my cruise since it was my anniversary.  Rebooking everything has been exhausting.  Luckily I'm not out one dime for rebooking flights, hotel, car rental etc.  Glad Royal made it better by the credit.

No question the best thing would have been the original cruise booked, but... glad it worked out for you!  

6 hours ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

There’s a great YouTube video on that Carnival project. It’s in the Cancelled series, the same guy does Abandoned as well which have some great footage of long gone Disney projects. 

15 minutes ago, DunkelBierJay said:

I just saw this YouTube video speculating that the starboard azipod is crushed due to the list. There are also reports that the dry dock failed causing a domino effect leading to the collapse. 

Too much speculation based on the same crummy cell phone pictures and video that we have seen.  

"It could have azipod damage..." - it also could not.  We don't know.  He doesn't know.    

Furthermore we don't know if the dry dock failed.  It could be a human error.  It could be control system for the ballast tanks malfunctioned, it could a thousand different things that we will likely never know about.  It could be a Meglodon attacked the dry dock.  It could be aliens.  Shall I go on?  

Kudos to @Matt for not blogging just to blog about something without any concrete information to base the blog on.  

6 minutes ago, twangster said:

Too much speculation based on the same crummy cell phone pictures and video that we have seen.  

"It could have azipod damage..." - it also could not.  We don't know.  He doesn't know.    

Furthermore we don't know if the dry dock failed.  It could be a human error.  It could be control system for the ballast tanks malfunctioned, it could a thousand different things that we will likely never know about.  It could be a Meglodon attacked the dry dock.  It could be aliens.  Shall I go on?  

Kudos to @Matt for not blogging just to blog about something without any concrete information to base the blog on.  

You know, dude...I used the term speculation because I thought the video was interesting. So sorry for sparking your snark ass comment. 

49 minutes ago, Andrew72681 said:

There’s a great YouTube video on that Carnival project. It’s in the Cancelled series, the same guy does Abandoned as well which have some great footage of long gone Disney projects. 

I remember watching that before.  I wonder now if Carnival regrets not going mega.  

Developed at the same time as Oasis and launching the same year, Carnival built the Dream, followed by Magic and Breeze.

2018 Revenues

Dream Class:

Magic  $235,350,000, 242,000 passengers

Breeze $222,040,000, 246,000 passengers

Dream $205,190,000, 245,000 passengers

Oasis Class:

Harmony $485,570,000, 295,000 passengers

Allure $422,500,000, 313,000 passengers

Oasis $404,340,000, 307,000 passengers

Symphony $396,500,000, 171,000 passengers (9 months in service)

Revenue from Magic and Breeze combined is still less than Harmony alone. 

I've sailed all seven ships on this list.  Oasis class was and still is a game changer. 

That poor architect from Carnival has to be beside himself seeing how successful Oasis class has become.    

IMO, MSC Seaside looks a lot closer to Carnival's concept ship than Oasis does.

12 hours ago, Barbara T said:

Actually got a credit on my Southwest flights of $42 each!  I booked AA there with points and was able to transfer the date on those.

So glad to hear that we will like Harmony better.  I had to talk my husband into a cruise and so I had to choose one of the big ships to do that.  Super bummed about spending my anniversary at home in T-town but guess I have something to look forward to at the end of summer!

Just have your husband take you downtown to the Bull in the Ally for dinner and make a night of it.

Not the same as Chops on an O class cruise in the middle of Caribbean, but if you have lemons make lemonade.

I love all of the O class ships (Been on Allure 3 times) but I have a soft spot for Harmony, took my first Mediterranean cruise on her right after she came out of being built.

10 hours ago, twangster said:

I wonder now if Carnival regrets not going mega.  

I don't see how they couldn't regret it !  The O class has been such a sensation and has changed the cruise industry forever.

I imagine Carnival is kicking themselves every day for not bringing their concept forward.

3 hours ago, BrandonOwen said:

Has anyone heard the status of Oasis’ propulsion system.  I’m seeing posts on Facebook that she will be towed to Spain.  That seems like a really long tow.

All speculation.  In the world of shipping these ships are not the biggest ships out there.  They are the biggest cruise ships but there are larger ships and all ships get towed from time to time.  Yesterday she became free so divers can do extensive surveys.  Based on those I wouldn't be surprised to see her go to the open sea to test what propulsion may be available as is.  A sea trial as such.  That too is speculation though from an armchair quarterback.  

3 hours ago, Jaymac Radio said:

I Hope They Make One Of Those Dry Dock Bigger To Hold One Of Those Size Of Ships 

Likely depends on the damage to the floating dry dock.  If they can fix it for $250k, they won't build a new one.  If it's a complete loss they might replace it or they might decide the investment isn't worth it relative to the revenue it will generate.  They might not replace the one crane that was destroyed.  Maybe they'll patch it up and leave it with just three cranes.  The shipyard may be owned by Royal and Carnival as majority owners but it has to be revenue positive or it makes no sense to operate it as a business.   The shipyard may move forward and just operate the two remaining dry docks.  

52 minutes ago, Andrew72681 said:

Is she headed to Spain on her own power or are the ships towing just not large enough to register on the marine traffic maps?

I believe she is headed on her own (potentially full) power as the tracker showed her moving at 18.7knts. Per google, her cruising speed is 22knts so she was almost at normal power. I doubt they'd be going that fast if being towed. 

Ships cruise at full speed only when required.  They consume vastly more fuel at top speed compared to normal "cruising" speed.  The most economical speed is likely somewhere around 15-17 knots.  

It's not uncommon for speeds to be higher than the economical cruise speed to meet waypoints on time.  Sometimes that may be based on where a storm is forecasted to be in 4 or 5 days time, or they may run slightly faster for the first part of a long leg in case they run into foul weather or encounter a delay in the second part of a journey.   Running faster now allows them a buffer later in case they need it.  

3 hours ago, twangster said:

Ships cruise at full speed only when required.  They consume vastly more fuel at top speed compared to normal "cruising" speed.  The most economical speed is likely somewhere around 15-17 knots.  

It's not uncommon for speeds to be higher than the economical cruise speed to meet waypoints on time.  Sometimes that may be based on where a storm is forecasted to be in 4 or 5 days time, or they may run slightly faster for the first part of a long leg in case they run into foul weather or encounter a delay in the second part of a journey.   Running faster now allows them a buffer later in case they need it.  

I've just received a mail from  RC about my incoming cruise in may 5th, they said is schedule and just assesing the damage  to the aquatheater, if itsnt ready they develop a "B plan" for entertainment, just in case