Oasis Crane Crash

10 minutes ago, Jaymac Radio said:

So It May Be Cheaper Now For Them To Do The Big Dry Dock Here In Freeport.

The whole dock is probably damaged. Weight of those cranes is not enough to tilt ship like oasis. Something else has failed before those cranes. Good idea to reschedule the big dry dock, not sure if they can do it there. If there is salt water in the electric motors, transformers or other electric stuff thats going to be pain in the ass to fix. And i would also be worried about the condition of propellers. If whole dock has collapsed somehow they can be damaged. Not your everyday spare parts. 

The crane in the Aqua Theater is most likely a cosmetic issue with localized damage to the pool itself such as the platforms that rise up and down.  No aqua shows until repairs are made is an inconvenience but superficial relatively speaking. Damaged railings are clearly an issue but relatively speaking a "quick(er)" fix.  

The bigger issue is the cofferdams and azipods. 

Problem one is how the cofferdams settled once the dry dock collapsed and if they did any damage to the azipods or propellors.  Cofferdams can be cut away with underwater cutting torches assuming it settled slowly and nicely.  If they buckled or bent and damaged the azipods or propellors that is a problem.

Problem two depends on how far they progressed preparing to access and remove the bearings.  Were they just in the process of removing the propellors or had they begun to remove the azipod housing which could now lead to sea water contamination.  If so, that's a potentially huge problem.  One that can't be fixed by divers underwater, it would require a proper dry dock all of which are in Europe.  

It appeared that two cofferdams were in use so in theory they have one good or useable azipod.  Is that enough to limp over to Europe?  

Problem three - how stable is the dry dock?  Can they remove the one leaning crane so that it doesn't fall on anyone?  Can they put divers in the water to survey the azipods or is the dry dock subject to shifting and therefore it's too dangerous to put divers in the water right now? 

It's hard to see a scenario where they get it operational in mere weeks.  I think it's going to be parked there a while and even then it won't likely leave the shipyard 100%. 

In my mind I think it's a matter of how long will it take to extricate it from it's current spot and once it's free to float away, how long to get it somewhere where repairs can be made to make it whole again?

Hopefully I'm wrong.  

12 minutes ago, BrandonOwen said:

Oasis appears to be listing to starboard side in this video. 

Oasis is sitting in the dry dock.  The dry dock lowered on it's right side so Oasis, sitting on the dry dock, also lowered on that side.  

It's likely the dry dock is now resting on the bottom, on that one side only while the other side remains floating as it is supposed to.  

So while it appears Oasis is listing, she is lifted on the port side by the dry dock while the starboard side is lowered in the water likely floating normally.  

After watching the Allure video and some of the other media about the accident they could have a real problem in a worst case scenario. The cofferdams were drained this morning which means they had already started work. The azipods may be partially disassembled. One of the photos above shows the dams are submerged again after the accident. The cofferdams are unique and if damaged would take a while to fix and/or replace. The ship does not fit in the floating dock so there is no way to seal it and drain the whole thing. They might be able to pull the ship out, fix the dock damage, and then bring it back in to do the pod repair.

Best case is that since its Monday they hadn't gotten to disassembling the azipods yet and all three are Ok. Then it is just a matter of removing the crane, fixing that damage, and making a new plan to do the azipod maintenance.

6 hours ago, Jacobwlynn said:

I'm glad everyone is ok. We have a booking on this ship on April 14th. I would take a educated guess that thats not going to happen. What is usually the procedure if they cancel a trip?

Too early to know.  Next week might cancel.  The 14th May be a go.  They'll need a day or two to stabilize the scene, deal with that leaning crane and then the whole scene can be better surveyed without risk of the other crane coming down on them.  Once they can do a proper damage assessment only then can they formulate a go forward plan. 

I'm on the week after you so I do understand your interest but it's a situation where they won't make a premature decision just to make a decision.   We'll need some patience while they determine the damage and a go forward plan.  

If they do cancel on short notice they'll communicate options which will likely include a full refund, some allowance for airline change fees and possibly a future credit for another cruise.  This close to the sail date there may not be a lot of alternative ships to place 5,000+ guests on.  This is part of what they need to figure out over the coming days.   

16 minutes ago, twangster said:

Too early to know.  Next week might cancel.  The 14th May be a go.  They'll need a day or two to stabilize the scene, deal with that leaning crane and then the whole scene can be better surveyed without risk of the other crane coming down on them.  Once they can do a proper damage assessment only then can they formulate a go forward plan. 

I'm on the week after you so I do understand your interest but it's a situation where they won't make a premature decision just to make a decision.   We'll need some patience while they determine the damage and a go forward plan.  

If they do cancel on short notice they'll communicate options which will likely include a full refund, some allowance for airline change fees and possibly a future credit for another cruise.  This close to the sail date there may not be a lot of alternative ships to place 5,000+ guests on.  This is part of they need to figure out over the coming days.   

Thank you so much for your response. This is our first vacation in 2 years but you are 100% correct. All we can do is relax and hope for the best. They will make the right choice depending on the situation. 

50 minutes ago, Joe01 said:

If you're sailing on the 7th or 14th, try to see if there is a way to get transferred to Allure, Harmony or Symphony.

Until RC will not officially canceled the 7th or 14th no one will allow him to transfer his Oasis cruise to another (well they will allow but he will lose all the cruise cost beside the taxes). The only other option is to gamble , book (And pay 100%) on the other ship and hope to get refunds if canceled.  

5 hours ago, twangster said:

If they do cancel on short notice they'll communicate options which will likely include a full refund, some allowance for airline change fees and possibly a future credit for another cruise. 

I really hope if they do cancel RC refund people who book own flights, we have had two cancelled and lost airfares we booked our own, they say will only refund if part of package booked with RC...

we sail on her in September so watching with interest, just hope lighting does not strike for a 3rd time ?

11 minutes ago, Jason12 said:

I really hope if they do cancel RC refund people who book own flights, we have had two cancelled and lost airfares we booked our own, they say will only refund if part of package booked with RC...

we sail on her in September so watching with interest, just hope lighting does not strike for a 3rd time ?

Unfortunately RC are not liable for flights etc that aren’t booked through them. You will have to claim that from your travel insurance. The downside to booking everything separately. We are due to sail 2nd June so I’m watching this very closely. I may well contact my insurer to see where I stand. in the meantime we have ceased booking excursions etc. 

Here is some experienced cruiser advice for anyone with a cruise on Oasis departing in the next oh.... 3 or 4 months.

Sit down and make a written contingency list of substitute places, people, events, opportunities, or even cruises. Make it a written list and the longer the better. And under each one write how you would get to the Grand Canyon, visit Aunt Edna, kick back at a caribbean resort,  spend some quality time in Montreal, etc. etc. Explore each of those possibilities what a room might cost per night, daily allowance for meals, airfare, car rental. Get yourself some ball park numbers for each of those proposals. Figure out some sort of ranking system as to the ones you like the best, the amount of hassle, and perhaps most importantly the potential cost; taking into account Royal might not immediately pony up the money you have already paid for your trip.

Be prepared! Be Proactive! Do some of that legwork now. Waiting till you get a email from Royal saying your trip has been canceled and they are working closely with an insurance company to issue a full refund---ahhh, important time will have been lost to plug something else in. About 5,500 other passengers receiving the same email will be saying the same words "Well, just put me on another boat." Sorry Charlie, 5,500 people are not just going to get on another RCL ship next week.

Please don't get mad and frustrated at Royal over this. This is a part of cruising we passengers all risk. At sometime in your cruising career your are going to encounter a hurricane, miss an important flight, have all your checked bags lost, a war being fought, all kinds of potential disappointing events that are going to step on your cruise buzz. We are all rolling the dice. Let this be a good lesson on how to make lemonade out of a bunch of lemons.

24 minutes ago, bobroo said:

Here is some experienced cruiser advice for anyone with a cruise on Oasis departing in the next oh.... 3 or 4 months.

Sit down and make a written contingency list of substitute places, people, events, opportunities, or even cruises. Make it a written list and the longer the better. And under each one write how you would get to the Grand Canyon, visit Aunt Edna, kick back at a caribbean resort,  spend some quality time in Montreal, etc. etc. Explore each of those possibilities what a room might cost per night, daily allowance for meals, airfare, car rental. Get yourself some ball park numbers for each of those proposals. Figure out some sort of ranking system as to the ones you like the best, the amount of hassle, and perhaps most importantly the potential cost; taking into account Royal might not immediately pony up the money you have already paid for your trip.

Be prepared! Be Proactive! Do some of that legwork now. Waiting till you get a email from Royal saying your trip has been canceled and they are working closely with an insurance company to issue a full refund---ahhh, important time will have been lost to plug something else in. About 5,500 other passengers receiving the same email will be saying the same words "Well, just put me on another boat." Sorry Charlie, 5,500 people are not just going to get on another RCL ship next week.

Please don't get mad and frustrated at Royal over this. This is a part of cruising we passengers all risk. At sometime in your cruising career your are going to encounter a hurricane, miss an important flight, have all your checked bags lost, a war being fought, all kinds of potential disappointing events that are going to step on your cruise buzz. We are all rolling the dice. Let this be a good lesson on how to make lemonade out of a bunch of lemons.

Excellent advice we did exactly this last November when the Navigator lost a stabiliser, I knew the Oasis was perfect for our dates and flights already booked, once the email came with offers we jumped straight for the swap with just 3 days before sailing only 3 cabins available..others missed out and stayed home..? 

16 hours ago, twangster said:

Th Is that enough to limp over to Europe?  

Problem four:  Even if they get Oasis to a point where they could limp to  Europe, will they be able to find a dry dock available ?  Those big mamas are few and far between and adhere to a very tight schedule.  Throwing a wild card in there, like an unexpected Oasis class ship, would likely be a difficult schedule squeeze.

14 hours ago, Atlantix2000 said:

With 4 Oasis class ships in the Caribbean and more on the way, I think it's about time to invest in a bigger dry dock on this side of the Atlantic!!!

They could build a large dry dock that won't return much on the investment or amplify 5 ships.  If you owned RCCL what would you do?

RCCL own 40% of this shipyard but Carnival own 40% too.  Most Carnival ships fit in dock 2.  I doubt CCL wants to invest in something it doesn't need just to benefit RCCL.  

They might not have a choice now.  

7 hours ago, Joe01 said:

If you're sailing on the 7th or 14th, try to see if there is a way to get transferred to Allure, Harmony or Symphony.

Even if one of those ships had 100 cabins available under 14 days out (unlikely) that is still less than 4% of Oasis guests accommodated.  

2 minutes ago, Barbara T said:

I'm super sad.......booked for the 14th for my 25th wedding anniversary:(  I'm glad no one was seriously hurt or killed though.

That is the silver lining.  This could have been tragic.  Very fortunate outcome.

Interesting observation...  I looked at new cruise options for Oasis, and April is now completely off the available options.  October is still out for the Amp.  The TA that would have left on 4/14 cannot be booked.  There are now only cruises starting in May in Europe listed...

image.png.8e97dcb9f40a21e5b99c44aacdddc375.png

5 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

Pure speculation, but I wonder if the listing could be caused by the moorings on one side failing.  If so, perhaps there will be less damage to the ship and azopods.

I ran through several scenarios in my head before coming to the conclusion there are so many possibilities it's pointless to speculate.

Just now, MarvinS said:

Interesting observation...  I looked at new cruise options for Oasis, and April is now completely off the available options.  October is still out for the Amp.  The TA that would have left on 4/14 cannot be booked.  There are now only cruises starting in May in Europe listed...

The TA leaves 4/21.  There are normal scheduled cruises 4/7 and 4/14.

I suspect they froze them to prevent new bookings while they wait to figure this out.  If they do have to provide compensation and refunds best to limit that as well as guest disappointment or else you can hear the complaints...  "I just booked this, they should have known!"

1 minute ago, MarvinS said:

image.png.8e97dcb9f40a21e5b99c44aacdddc375.png

From what my travel agent told me is that April 14th was already sold out.

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

I ran through several scenarios in my head before coming to the conclusion there are so many possibilities it's pointless to speculate.

I have found that many of the things I do or say are point;ess, but I keep doing them and saying them.  Maybe, one day, they will find a cure.  In the meantime...

From the video, it looks like the port coffer damn or the structure around it failed.  In fact, it looks like water is still flowing in, or something was disturbing the water in that area when the video was taken (around 1:22).  I wonder if that is a diver right next to it. Don't hate me 'cause I'm pointless..?

11 minutes ago, Barbara T said:

We are booked for the 14th also!  I'm praying we are good.  I've got all my shows reserved, dinner on my anniversary, purchased the Key and all excursions?

You, me, and 6000 others. Safety is priority number one but I'm going to be extremely disappointed if they cancel it. Hopefully will know at 5 pm when they send out the press release.