Power strips

No, they will be confiscated when you board the ship when you go through the security check point if you have any in your carry on bags. If you put them in your suitcase, they will be seen when the bags are xrayed and confiscated. Power strips are considered to be a fire hazard. :27_sunglasses:

• 2 weeks later...

I bring a USB hub for my chargeables.  Pretty much everything I have is USB chargeable.  That way all I need to do is plug in my laptop and my USB hub, and I have my charging situation in hand, and if I need an additional outlet, I can always unplug the laptop to use the plug it occupied.  

One tip I like giving is, bring a travel adapter.  That way you can make use of all of the plugs in the room.  In the rooms with a limited plug situation, they'll have one plug that's a US plug, and one Euro plug.  Get the adapter that goes from euro to US, and you now have two outlets when before you'd only have one.  (or if you're Euro, one US to Euro adapter so you can have the benefit of two plugs as well)

People use their phones as their camera and bring more cameras like Go Pros for underwater or other active excursions or a DSLR or mirrorless camera for better photography.

Any one with medical equipment lose an outlet to it.  If both adults had CPAP machines there are no outlets left.  A toothbrush charger consumes an outlet.  

There are lots of ways to consume your available outlets.  

13 hours ago, ThyriC said:

One tip I like giving is, bring a travel adapter.  That way you can make use of all of the plugs in the room.

This is an excellent tip....just remember (those who may be considering it) that your device must be dual power and be compatible with the European currents.  Using a US-only device in a European outlet is an easy way to burn up your hairdryer (or whatever else you have plugged in there).  Most cell phones/computers are already dual voltage so that's a good thing - just be sure before you plug it in.

Another thing about needing plugs and not understanding people who use electronics is that everyone's idea of a great vacation is different. I personally love to read with my kindle by the pool or listen to a podcast with bluetooth headphones while relaxing. I also enjoy the ability to share my vacation in real time with friends and family. All of these things need charging and it's amazing how quickly the plugs get full, especially once you factor in cabin mates. I understand that some people enjoy disconnecting or using very few electronics on a cruise but it's a pet peeve of mine when someone uses their personal preference to look down upon other's choices in how they choose to spend their vacation. I'm not saying anyone here is doing that, but I HAVE seen that condescension elsewhere and it's incredibly uncalled for, in my opinion. 

I have one of these from Amazon.  $13.

879278595_EUChargerandUSB.jpeg.a10eaaacc9da5c84e595997ce670d78b.jpeg

It goes into the European power port so it leaves the North American outlets free, it provides two USB charging ports and allows a North American device that can take 220v to be plugged in as well.  You do need to validate that anything you plug in can take 220v.  Fortunately nearly everything I own can.  USB is USB so no worries there.

The only time I was asked about it was boarding in San Juan.  Security saw it on xray, pulled it out of my backpack and asked me if I was from Europe.  I said I was and that was my cell phone charger.  They let me go.  No other port has blinked at it.   

43 minutes ago, twangster said:

Just don't plug a hairdryer or curling iron into it.  Step daughter made that mistake once ? 

Because I travel to Europe frequently I purchased a dual power hair dryer.  Problem is....it is so damn hard to change from 110 to 220 that I threw it in the trash !  I just use the <wholly inadequate> ones they have in the hotels over there.  I look like a scarecrow but at least I don't have trouble with the crows over there.

?

1 minute ago, tiny260 said:

At the little desk in the room, there will be 1 US and 1 European style. So the hair dryer should not have any problems.

She will have to use it at the little makeup desk, the bathroom only has 1 plug and it is for electric razors only.

Thank you!  I will let her know so she can plan accordingly

• 1 month later...

I just watched a video from 2018 of a room on the Allure of the Seas. I only saw the US outlets, not the European outlets. Can anyone tell me where they are on the Allure of the Seas room? I've cruised several times and I just never paid attention. My daughter is getting married on the Allure of the Seas in September 2019 and we have several first-time cruisers with us. I just want to make sure everyone is covered. I hear bringing the extra power adapters "cruise approved" are getting confiscated these days. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2019 at 11:05 AM, twangster said:

I have one of these from Amazon.  $13.

879278595_EUChargerandUSB.jpeg.a10eaaacc9da5c84e595997ce670d78b.jpeg

It goes into the European power port so it leaves the North American outlets free, it provides two USB charging ports and allows a North American device that can take 220v to be plugged in as well.  You do need to validate that anything you plug in can take 220v.  Fortunately nearly everything I own can.  USB is USB so no worries there.

The only time I was asked about it was boarding in San Juan.  Security saw it on xray, pulled it out of my backpack and asked me if I was from Europe.  I said I was and that was my cell phone charger.  They let me go.  No other port has blinked at it.   

I got this one. It's prefect. Thank you for the recommendation.

19 minutes ago, twangster said:

Just remember the outlet is 220v even though it looks like a North American outlet.  Double check everything you plug into that outlet to ensure it can take 220v.  Never plug hairdryers or curling irons into it.

We will only use the USB's on it, so I think we will be good, unless you know otherwise. ?

I had a very standard 3 outlet extension that they didnt confiscate but the room attendant would unplug it every single day no matter what was plugged into it. 

Seems to be some unknowns as to what is allowed or maybe they only want you using them when you are in the room?

white-gray-3-outlets-1-ft-cord-ge-surge-protectors-45190-64_1000.jpg

35 minutes ago, packercruising said:

Do they make them with built in converters these days? All of our Devices are 120. 

Possibly but in a small form factor they would likely be for limited current or power consumption.  

If your devices are 120v only you are better to stick with the North American outlets in the cabin. 

On 6/18/2019 at 12:33 PM, twangster said:

Possibly but in a small form factor they would likely be for limited current or power consumption.  

If your devices are 120v only you are better to stick with the North American outlets in the cabin. 

That is what we figured. We haven't had any problem with that.

On 4/15/2019 at 11:38 AM, spiralqueen said:

Another thing about needing plugs and not understanding people who use electronics is that everyone's idea of a great vacation is different. I personally love to read with my kindle by the pool or listen to a podcast with bluetooth headphones while relaxing. I also enjoy the ability to share my vacation in real time with friends and family. All of these things need charging and it's amazing how quickly the plugs get full, especially once you factor in cabin mates. I understand that some people enjoy disconnecting or using very few electronics on a cruise but it's a pet peeve of mine when someone uses their personal preference to look down upon other's choices in how they choose to spend their vacation. I'm not saying anyone here is doing that, but I HAVE seen that condescension elsewhere and it's incredibly uncalled for, in my opinion. 

THIS!!!!!! 

You said exactly what I was getting ready to say!