Cape Liberty New Jersey

Risky.  If the stars align and you are near the front of the self assist line you might make it.  Bear in mind most airlines have luggage cutoff times.  You might make it but your luggage might become delayed.

If one thing goes wrong you’ll miss your flight   If that we’re to happen how much would it cost?

I recommend a later flight.  

The early morning and late evening flights out on Saturdays and Sundays (in particular) are usually priced lower than the ones that leave between 11:00 - 2:00.  That's not a coincidence.  The airlines know that a cruiser is unlikely to be able to make a very early morning flight and not inclined to wait around all day for a late afternoon or evening flight. That is why those "sweet spot" flights are so pricey.

Could you do it ?  Probably.  Should you do it ?  I wouldn't.  I try and get my flights out - even at the really easy access airports (FLL, MIA) - between noon and 2:00 even if they cost more money.  I am not great under pressure. I tend to turn into a real biatch (NO responses are necessary !).

?

In terms of distance it's similar to Miami.  

Even on weekends, like Miami, traffic can be an issue at times. 

There are many things that can slow you down and wreck a tight flight time.  Once in Bayonne I got pulled into secondary in US Customs because someone with my name, somewhere in the country, had a warrant out for them.  45 minutes later I was cleared after they carefully poured over details to make sure I wasn't that person.  

A medical diversion the day before could delay your return by a few hours.  Fog which I've encountered twice returning to Bayonne, can delay your arrival.  

While a 10am flight is in the realm of doable when everything goes perfectly, you alone will bear all costs to deal with a missed flight if things don't go perfectly.  When that happens, don't blame Royal, blame yourself and take ownership of your mistake.

In theory, Cape Liberty to EWR is about a 30-45 minute drive. But this is New Jersey, the land of the pothole-ridden road and home of some of the worst traffic snarls. I live in NJ, about the same distance to both the port and EWR, and I'm with @twangster and @WAAAYTOOO on this. If you can get an 11:00 AM (preferably 11:30) flight you'll be a lot safer; even then, you'll still want to do self-debarkation and be at the very front of the line.

Also be aware that if you plan to use Lyft or Uber, I've heard multiple stories of the drivers deliberately sitting around and waiting for peak hours to kick in so they get the extra charge that carries. Better to use an airport shuttle or other regular service, even though it'll likely cost extra.

7 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

In theory, Cape Liberty to EWR is about a 30-45 minute drive. But this is New Jersey, the land of the pothole-ridden road and home of some of the worst traffic snarls. I live in NJ, about the same distance to both the port and EWR, and I'm with @twangster and @WAAAYTOOO on this. If you can get an 11:00 AM (preferably 11:30) flight you'll be a lot safer; even then, you'll still want to do self-debarkation and be at the very front of the line.

Also be aware that if you plan to use Lyft or Uber, I've heard multiple stories of the drivers deliberately sitting around and waiting for peak hours to kick in so they get the extra charge that carries. Better to use an airport shuttle or other regular service, even though it'll likely cost extra.

Again, not OP but helpful tips.  DH and I go to NY sometimes but we usually fly into LaGuardia, taxi to hotel Times Square-ish area,  and then just walk or subway everywhere.  So horrible of those uber drivers.  Thanks for the heads up.

My delay in the Bayonne customs penalty box cost me an extra $20 in Uber/Lyft price increases.  

I checked as I walked off the ship but before the customs hall.  After my CBP delay due to the "bad twangster", I was now in the midst of the mass exodus.  With hundreds of other ride-sharing guests now requesting rides, surge pricing kicked in plus it was a 25 minute wait for the next available driver.  

What can you do?  Whose fault is that?

4 hours ago, twangster said:

My delay in the Bayonne customs penalty box cost me an extra $20 in Uber/Lyft price increases.  

I checked as I walked off the ship but before the customs hall.  After my CBP delay due to the "bad twangster", I was now in the midst of the mass exodus.  With hundreds of other ride-sharing guests now requesting rides, surge pricing kicked in plus it was a 25 minute wait for the next available driver.  

What can you do?  Whose fault is that?

I blame the jerk who has the nerve to tarnish your good name.   

I've been off the ship and in my car at 8:00 am in Bayonne, home at noon. With checked bags in group "3" - a very early group off of the ship.

ONCE at 10:45 am - again with early tags, but something was up with Customs, and the entire ship was delayed, and there were a LOT of upset people, so it was a slow day.

Bayonne is using facial recognition now, that speeds up debarkation quite a bit. 

I agree with Twangster, noon for the airport.

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 11:22 AM, JLMoran said:

I agree it could take some time getting through customs and getting luggage but not sure when it would "In Theory" take 30-45 minutes to complete a 17 drive. I drive these roads daily including the weekend and there is never traffic from the cruise port towards the airport. The traffic in the morning is always the other direction towards Jersey City/New York.

That said I would try for a later flight to be safe as well...

Cape Liberty.jpg

Yeah, we were on a January cruise that had an emergency (pt ill, needed to be gotten to hospital, ended up diverting to Bermuda to drop her off), which delayed our arrival in Bayonne by a few hours.  There was a huge traffic jam with people trying to be picked up and the next cruisers trying to get dropped off.  You can't predict it, so if something like that happens you are out of luck.