Formal night attire

CAMAM

We are traveling on the allure of the seas. For formal nights, will a jacket, tie and pants suffice or does it need to be a suit. My teenager do not have suits so that’s what they’ll wear. Does my husband need to bring a suit or Will jacket tie and pants be okay for him, too. 

Long pants and a collared shirt will suffice.  

Formal night is more like business casual than formal these days.  

Jeans full of holes and a tshirt would in theory work, but would be under dressed compared to most.  

For bonus points a blazer with no tie would be average but even that isn't an absolute requirement.  A proper suit will be more dressy than most. A tuxedo would place him in the top 1%.

3 hours ago, melski94 said:

My husband will wear a sports coat, button down shirt and slacks but no tie

That's how I do it also on "formal night", but I do wear a tie. However, no socks and I go commando style, much to my wife's chagrin. Hey it is formal night indeed! :3_grin:

To my opinion , formal night attire is what you feel comfortable with as long its not shorts , bathing suites and flip flops.

After all you are on vacation , some people want to dress up , its good its nice and I guess they like it , for some it will be tuxedo , for some suites , other will feel Ok with sport jackets while other are OK with dress shirt and nice trousers.

Sometime I take with me a sport jacket, there were times I used a tie , now mostly I will take a nice button shirt and a dress pants , I feel very comfortable with that  even while I am in Europe cruises ,believe me , there were many people that dressed much less official. 

While thinking about what to take for official night, you should consider , suitcase space , wight,  (if you are traveling by air,  family picture opportunity,  weather (it can be very unconformable to walk around outside when its 90f and humid  in a tuxedo ...

Also , the official attire is only for the Main Dining Room and special restaurants , you can always choose to eat at the buffet or other places .  

This reply is for MEN ONLY. Women, DO NOT read this post! Okay, now that we men are together by ourselves.... here's where I stand on formal night. Women like to dress up. Sorry but they do. Ask the wife what she's wearing. Ask her to suggest something for you. She is thinking not just what you or she will look like, she'll be thinking what you'll look like together, standing in that line or in front of the photographer. Of course you can suggest a slight downgrade "Honey the jacket is nice but I don't think the tie is necessary" might get you out of the tie, but if the wife wants to dress to the hilt.... sorry bud, you will too. Think about it... it's all really about making them happy, and if a night or two of pinched collars, tight shoes and sweating in a jacket will do it, it's really a small price to pay. When dinner's over suggest grabbing a drink to take back to the room. Then change out of that monkey suit as fast as you can and continue on with your plans for the night. 

We're taking my 16yo DS and his best friend this summer and we told them about formal night and showed pictures of all different people from our past cruises, some super fancy, us just "dressed up" for "church"...some in formal formal attire, some in nice jeans...we're letting them choose how formal they want to be...they both said they'd like to get new "suits", to dress up. 

On 3/30/2019 at 7:23 AM, marton2 said:

This reply is for MEN ONLY. Women, DO NOT read this post! Okay, now that we men are together by ourselves.... here's where I stand on formal night. Women like to dress up. Sorry but they do. Ask the wife what she's wearing. Ask her to suggest something for you. She is thinking not just what you or she will look like, she'll be thinking what you'll look like together, standing in that line or in front of the photographer. Of course you can suggest a slight downgrade "Honey the jacket is nice but I don't think the tie is necessary" might get you out of the tie, but if the wife wants to dress to the hilt.... sorry bud, you will too. Think about it... it's all really about making them happy, and if a night or two of pinched collars, tight shoes and sweating in a jacket will do it, it's really a small price to pay. When dinner's over suggest grabbing a drink to take back to the room. Then change out of that monkey suit as fast as you can and continue on with your plans for the night. 

So @Matt,  can we consider a “slap” reaction face?! ??

My wife gets all gussied up. I will wear khaki`s, a polo shirt, sport coat, and sandals.  I used to do the shirt, jacket, and tie. But after being all dressed up a few years back on formal night and this couple came to the table in their work out clothes and nothing was said. That did it for me and now its relaxed casual on formal night.  Our next cruise is on Anthem in Sept.  I might get a tuxedo t shirt for formal night.  No sandals just penny loafers sans socks.  Its a cruise.  Got`s to relax.   

In reaction to the "mens only" post, that's pretty much what my hub did.  I told him he didnt need to wear a tuxedo, but he'll do the suit thing because I'm wearing a formal dress.

For me, formal night is like adult prom, I get to have fun dressing up in something I almost never get a chance to wear, and hub isnt too put off by having a suit on for a few hours.  

6 hours ago, JennyB said:

I've been dying to wear the dress I wore to my daughter's wedding...LOL.  but seriously, I bought that specific dress in hopes of one day wearing in to formal night on a cruise...I felt like the 2nd prettiest woman at the wedding!  LOL

Those dresses can easily be $500, no sense wearing them only once!

6 hours ago, JennyB said:

Nope...$84 after shipping and everything from eBay!  whoopwhoop!!!

Great deal! I think I went overboard on the dress that I wore for my step son’s wedding, but then I intended to look as fabulous as I could manage since I was going to have to spend the entire evening with my husband’s ex wife and I wasn’t about to go in looking second best no matter what it cost ??

My wife & I just got off of the NOTS on Sunday. Over two formal nights we saw everything. I am a golf shorts & polo golf shirt guy. But I wore a suit n tie and she wore dresses for both formal nights. It is called formal night for a reason.  Well it used to be anyway. If you don't want to dress up then go to the Windjammer. First night the family beside us was waaay under dressed in my opinion. Father in shorts & a t-shirt. Mother in cut off jean shorts and a spaghetti strap white shirt. One on the kids was in camo. 

1 hour ago, wville21 said:

My wife & I just got off of the NOTS on Sunday. Over two formal nights we saw everything. I am a golf shorts & polo golf shirt guy. But I wore a suit n tie and she wore dresses for both formal nights. It is called formal night for a reason.  Well it used to be anyway. If you don't want to dress up then go to the Windjammer. First night the family beside us was waaay under dressed in my opinion. Father in shorts & a t-shirt. Mother in cut off jean shorts and a spaghetti strap white shirt. One on the kids was in camo. 

Isnt it great that you can observe them and say they are "underdressed" and they have the ability to observe you and say you look sharp or overdressed etc.... 

I stopped caring what others do/look like and focus on what i want to do.  I love looking snazzy, getting some nice pictures and yes being uncomfortable for a few hours.  

3 hours ago, marti314 said:

Isnt it great that you can observe them and say they are "underdressed" and they have the ability to observe you and say you look sharp or overdressed etc.... 

I stopped caring what others do/look like and focus on what i want to do.  I love looking snazzy, getting some nice pictures and yes being uncomfortable for a few hours.  

Exactly!  Don't concern yourself with what others are wearing.  Wear what you feel comfortable,  if you are underdressed in Wville21's eyes....so be it

On 4/3/2019 at 10:48 PM, fonemanbob said:

My wife gets all gussied up. I will wear khaki`s, a polo shirt, sport coat, and sandals.  I used to do the shirt, jacket, and tie. But after being all dressed up a few years back on formal night and this couple came to the table in their work out clothes and nothing was said. That did it for me and now its relaxed casual on formal night.  Our next cruise is on Anthem in Sept.  I might get a tuxedo t shirt for formal night.  No sandals just penny loafers sans socks.  Its a cruise.  Got`s to relax.   

A tuxedo T-shirt says "I'm formal but I'm here to party"!!

On 4/10/2019 at 6:06 AM, wville21 said:

Surprised you saw him  ?

On 4/11/2019 at 5:49 AM, 12thman said:

Anyone know how much to rent a tuxedo onboard?

Glad Matt sent you in the right direction because it is tough to find - I ended up in a google search to find it (they clearly aren’t interested in anyone knowing about the option since we only knew about it because some friends of ours cruise almost monthly and rent a tux on every possible cruise). 

See I love that look!  There are a few videos on Youtube about getting a bermuda shorts suit in bermuda, about the colors used.  Like that suit there isnt as vibrant as many of the bermuda shorts suits I've seen.  Dont get me wrong, that's a great suit, but I want one in vibrant colors! These men look so SHARP!  

men-bermuda-shorts.jpg