Without a (non-alcoholic) drink package, where can we get drinks?

Ashmai

With two teenagers I'm tempted to get drink packages for them so they can have fancy mocktails everywhere they go, sounds awesome. But at the same time, if getting soda is as easy as walking up to a free food spot and filling up, it may not be worth it.

So if one doesn't have a drink package for pop / non-alcoholic drinks, what are the options?

Options other than soda are, water, tea, coffee, orange juice, milk, lemonade, other fruit flavored water based drinks. I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

If you get the soda package or the refreshment package, they will get a souvenir cup and basically walk up to any bar and get a soda. If the ship is equipped with the Coke freestyle machines it is even easier.

If you want your kids to be able to have mocktails, that will require the refreshment package rather than a soda package. That also comes with the special cup for use at the Freestyle machines. If you'd rather they not have soda so easily, you can always take the cups and lock them away somewhere. ? 

On 3/30/2019 at 10:35 AM, JLMoran said:

If you want your kids to be able to have mocktails, that will require the refreshment package rather than a soda package. That also comes with the special cup for use at the Freestyle machines. If you'd rather they not have soda so easily, you can always take the cups and lock them away somewhere. ? 

However, that will just prevent use of the freestyle machines with all the options, they could still get sodas at any bar, it's just fewer choices

5 hours ago, MaryCS62 said:

However, that will just prevent use of the freestyle machines with all the options, they could still get sodas at any bar, it's just fewer choices

Correct. It's also much smaller servings. Those souvenir cups are 20 ounces, maybe even 24. Going at a regular bar, they're going to get a standard 8 ounce glass at a time.

Good morning!  I have three teenagers- 13, 15 and 16. They love getting the virgin daiquiris and all of the other “mocktails” and smoothies. They don’t drink a lot of soda at home, so I decided to go ahead and let them do the refreshment package. Gatorades (maybe not that brand, but that type of drink)  and speciality coffees (not at Starbucks) are also included. To me, it was worth it just to let them “indulge” a little on the ship and knowing how much I would be spending on their drinks ahead of time. Watch the cruise planner because we have seen the price vary about $7 per day from the lowest price I’ve seen $19/day to the most expensive $26/day. 

2 hours ago, aprilgwynne said:

Good morning!  I have three teenagers- 13, 15 and 16. They love getting the virgin daiquiris and all of the other “mocktails” and smoothies. They don’t drink a lot of soda at home, so I decided to go ahead and let them do the refreshment package. Gatorades (maybe not that brand, but that type of drink)  and speciality coffees (not at Starbucks) are also included. To me, it was worth it just to let them “indulge” a little on the ship and knowing how much I would be spending on their drinks ahead of time. Watch the cruise planner because we have seen the price vary about $7 per day from the lowest price I’ve seen $19/day to the most expensive $26/day. 

We felt the same, let them indulge without having to worry about how much they are drinking. There will be 6 of us cruising, and we got the refreshments package for all of us, at $20 per day. Another thing to think about, is that if you get the package, you are pre-paying your gratuities, an 18% charge will be added at checkout. So a 5 day cruise at $20 per day ended up at $118 per person for the package, or $708 total. $708 seems like a big chunk of change to put out at one time just for drinks for a 5 day trip, but I think we would easily buy over $20 per day in drinks, they add up quickly. Or, we'd have to say no, you can't have another soda or mocktail or coffee. Now, we don't have to worry at all. We can all get whatever we want, and not have to worry about tipping either.

20 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Correct. It's also much smaller servings. Those souvenir cups are 20 ounces, maybe even 24. Going at a regular bar, they're going to get a standard 8 ounce glass at a time.

They do look gigantic, and my guess too was about 20-24 ounces. But I got home and measured it to be 16. The illusion results from the thick walls. But still a lot bigger than a glass from the bar.

1 minute ago, Keeves said:

They do look gigantic, and my guess too was about 20-24 ounces. But I got home and measured it to be 16. The illusion results from the thick walls. But still a lot bigger than a glass from the bar.

You're right, I forgot that they have pretty thick sides, probably to help insulate the cups and keep any ice from melting / watering down the drinks too quickly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2019 at 8:57 AM, aprilgwynne said:

could I get a virgin pina colada with the refreshment package? if so I'm gonna be so mad lol that I buy countlless ones without the package...is this considered a "mocktail" 

1 hour ago, mellibee said:

could I get a virgin pina colada with the refreshment package? if so I'm gonna be so mad lol that I buy countlless ones without the package...is this considered a "mocktail" 

Yes, virgin versions of the frozen drinks like pina coladas or daiquiris count as mocktails that the refreshment package covers. When you order a couple of those a day the refreshment package very quickly starts to pay for itself. 

• 4 weeks later...

Related question: We are taking our kids for the first time on our next cruise. I am getting them the soda package.  Will they have to have their special cups when we eat in the main dining room, or will the server bring them a soda in a glass? Do the ships that have the freestyle machines usually have one in the Windjammer?

1 hour ago, Clay Purvis said:

Related question: We are taking our kids for the first time on our next cruise. I am getting them the soda package.  Will they have to have their special cups when we eat in the main dining room, or will the server bring them a soda in a glass? Do the ships that have the freestyle machines usually have one in the Windjammer?

The cups will be in your room when you get there. 

And, yes, I believe there is a freestyle machine in the WJ.  USUALLY two there and two on the Promenade.

• 3 weeks later...