Cococay Infrastructure?

OK, I'm a cruiser and an engineer. I have been to Cococay once and saw that there was very little need for a typical infrastructure (electricity, fresh water, etc) for the previous activities on the island. With all of the new water park, the new freshwater pool and other facilities, how have they beefed up the physical plant on the island? I mean, surely the ships do not provide the electricity and they haven't shipped in the water for that pool. Does anyone know?

Steven

To date there have been something like 90 full time employees who live there and care for the island, perform guest related functions, operate the tenders (up to now).  They lived in buildings on the island.  A desalination plant, waste water reclamation and power plant existed before all this. 

Full time staff are expected to approach 370 going forward.   New housing was built for them,  I'm assuming other infrastructure was modified or replaced to scale CocoCay larger.

7 hours ago, twangster said:

To date there have been something like 90 full time employees who live there and care for the island, perform guest related functions, operate the tenders (up to now).  They lived in buildings on the island.  A desalination plant, waste water reclamation and power plant existed before all this. 

Wow. I wouldn't have thought that the island was that large of an operation. Impressive.

• 5 months later...
On 3/29/2019 at 12:35 AM, twangster said:

Full time staff are expected to approach 370 going forward.   New housing was built for them,  I'm assuming other infrastructure was modified or replaced to scale CocoCay larger.

OK @twangster just have to say that the knowledge that you possess about all things RCCL as well as sailing is absolutely AMAZING!  I am sure that sitting at the dinner table (wether in the MDR, Windjammer, or CK) would be an absolutely amazing and informative meal!?  

When I had a conversation with the Hotel Director on Mariner (Ron Ness), the 1st 2 questions I asked him about Coco Cay were "how did they fill the pool" and "can the slide towers handle a hurricane".  He said that had a desalination plant as @twangster mentioned and he said they designed Perfect Day to withstand a cat 5.

• 2 years later...
On 3/28/2019 at 9:56 PM, cookingyo said:

Here is a 12 panel Panorama of the island I took. All the stuff on the right side of the island looks new.  Check it Out.

CoCoCay_12Pano.jpg

Thank you for posting this. My son made a version of this beautiful photo with the watermark removed so it will look great if you choose to print it out. Note that the 12 panels the final dimensions are 1' x 6'.

CoCoCay_12Pano.jpg.2f1b4eeb3ec50a0bfefd1a0e4f18845e.jpg

When I was at coco cay this past November, I was waiting in line at one of the thrill water park slides and as you were going up the stairs you could see some support infrastructure in one corner of the island. It looked to me like there were housing for the staff that reside on the island, generators, garage/ repair facilities for the trams, and satellites arrays.  

8 hours ago, Mr. Green said:

If you find the island on Google Maps/Earth, you can see the support buildings and areas that are not visible to the guest when on the island.

I wish they would do tours of the "behind the scenes" things like power plants, deliveries, all the support buildings on the island. Now THAT would be a fun excursion for those nerds like my husband and I! He's an engineer so he's into all that, and got me into it, too.