Galveston and Drink Package

Hello,

I was reading on Cruise Critic about the drinks packages on Carnival, something about due to Texas Law you cannot "give" away alchol therefore there is no drink package for Embarkation day. Is this an actual thing, if I buy a drink package for my upcoming RC cruise will alcohol be allowed through it on embarkation day.

Thanks 

RCL allows you to utilize your drink package upon boarding, they will just have a limited number of liquors and beers available for you.  Its not BAD liquor but its not the TOP SHELF stuff.

Get yourself a few TEXAS TEAS (Long island with tequila in it) and you will feel ALL GOOOOOOOOOOOOOD until approx 7 pm when they serve all the good stuff.

For Royal, you can absolutely use your drink package immediately however TABC law limits cruise ships to only sell alcohol made in the great state of Texas while in port.  once the ship has moved into international waters, full bars open up.  '

Carnival on the other hand just chooses to hold off all together with their drink package making their CHEERS begin on day 2 (You don't pay for day 1).  you can still purchase drink by drink, but they too have to follow the same TABC laws mentioned.  

1 minute ago, Todd W said:

For Royal, you can absolutely use your drink package immediately however TABC law limits cruise ships to only sell alcohol made in the great state of Texas while in port.  once the ship has moved into international waters, full bars open up.  '

It doesnt have anything to do with the liquor made in texas (Not much except TItos is made in Texas).  Its all about the TAXES that Texas makes the cruise line pay on everything served while in port.  They serve the cheaper brands so they can limit the taxes they own the state.

1 minute ago, marti314 said:

It doesnt have anything to do with the liquor made in texas (Not much except TItos is made in Texas).  Its all about the TAXES that Texas makes the cruise line pay on everything served while in port.  They serve the cheaper brands so they can limit the taxes they own the state.

Interesting, but makes sense. Of course they are going to charge sales taxes for everything since we don't have income tax. I see why Todd would draw that conclusion, though. I've seen somewhere where it stated Texas liquors would be served. 

12 minutes ago, kadmgs said:

Interesting, but makes sense. Of course they are going to charge sales taxes for everything since we don't have income tax. I see why Todd would draw that conclusion, though. I've seen somewhere where it stated Texas liquors would be served. 

You will see Bacardi, Jack Daniels, some generic tequila etc.  Like i said its not TERRIBLE liquor just not the best stuff.  I dont even remember them serving TITOS until we were well out to sea.

39 minutes ago, marti314 said:

you are correct, i had totally meant to reference the taxes.   i shouldn't work and post at the same time lol

It should be noted that the person who you heard that from is correct that Carnival doesn't allow packages to be used on the first night of a cruise out of Texas, but the reasoning is incorrect and probably came from Carnival's propaganda marketing department.  They could offer it the same as Royal does, but would have to eat the taxes.  Royal chooses to pay the taxes but limits the selection to decrease the cost, Carnival takes a different route.