Royal Caribbean Is Making A Theme Park

I read in @Matt Blog Post Today and It Said That The Hotel Royal Caribbean Brought That They Would Be Puting In A Theme Park There. 

(Qoute From Post) The government expects an additional two million cruise passengers will be brought annually to Grand Bahama island. Once complete, a theme park and five-star hotel will be part of the redevelopment effort.

I think one thing that could be a boost is overnight itineraries either at private island resorts or major U.S. or Intl cities...or some combination of both, if applicable.

Ex: port out of Vancouver, overnight stay in SF or LA. Or if cruising to Hawaii out of Vancouver, an overnight in Honolulu. Or out of Sydney, Australia, overnight stay at a private island resort rumored to be built in the region the same in the caribbean. In Europe, a number of Mediterranean cities for an overnight stay.

Explorer OTS did that once in consecutive weeks, in SF. Be nice to see a lot more of that.

56 minutes ago, Jaymac Radio said:

I read in @Matt Blog Post Today and It Said That The Hotel Royal Caribbean Brought That They Would Be Puting In A Theme Park There. 

(Qoute From Post) The government expects an additional two million cruise passengers will be brought annually to Grand Bahama island. Once complete, a theme park and five-star hotel will be part of the redevelopment effort.

I don't think this is something that would really take off considering that in Florida you have all the theme parks. What could RCCL offer in a theme park that Universal, Seaworld or Disney can't?

Interesting about the hotel part...wonder if for example they would offer a 3 day cruise on one ship..spend a nght there and then a 3 day cruise back on a different ship type thing......I will be curious to hear the official plans behind the purchase.

I get the resort for a day...pool..beach idea....the hotel part, not so much at the moment.

5 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Interesting about the hotel part...wonder if for example they would offer a 3 day cruise on one ship..spend a nght there and then a 3 day cruise back on a different ship type thing......I will be curious to hear the official plans behind the purchase.

I get the resort for a day...pool..beach idea....the hotel part, not so much at the moment. 

Now that you mention it, I just remembered that Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line offers that on old Carnival ships. I wonder if RCCL is actually stealing (cough,cough) copying their concept?? ?

1 hour ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

Could this potentially be the second "Perfect Day" location?

Not sure if there is an airport near there but could it potentially be a "home port" with cruises leaving from there but including pre or post cruise stays?

No reason to have two Perfect Day Islands so close to each other. 

No reason to be a homeport either. 

This purchase doesn't make sense to me at all, especially with the recent CocoCay enhancements. 

10 minutes ago, ltw said:

This purchase doesn't make sense to me at all, especially with the recent CocoCay enhancements. 

It is reported that RCCL was planning overnite stays in the Bahamas. Maybe this is part of that plan. 

It's a joint venture with another company who develop ports.. I am assuming it will be run as a separate hotel where the facilities can also be used buy cruise ship passengers. Much like happens everywhere else.

http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/itm-group-reported-behind-130m-grand-bahama-cruise-project.html

I saw this the other day.. they have also been trying to buy land on Paradise Island at the western end near the lighthouse.

http://www.tribune242.com/news/2019/mar/11/royal-caribbean-targets-western-paradise-island/

Bayley has hinted at overnight stays at CocoCay for a few years now, dropping hints and tidbits here and there.  Perhaps this has evolved from that plan or borrowed from it.

With more and more ships coming, more Oasis capable ports are needed.  It also spices up the MD and NJ based ship itineraries which look a little boring at times.

A lot less fuel is consumed running from Florida to Grand Bahamas compared to Nassau.  

Based on Nassau reviews this also provides some relief from that.

8 hours ago, twangster said:

Based on Nassau reviews this also provides some relief from that.

I think there's some truth to that. At the very least, offering a stop in Freeport with a custom cruise line-owned area provides the necessary stops in the Bahamas that RC is contractually obligated to provide, while avoiding a notoriously poorly reviewed area by guests.

7 minutes ago, Matt said:

I think there's some truth to that. At the very least, offering a stop in Freeport with a custom cruise line-owned area provides the necessary stops in the Bahamas that RC is contractually obligated to provide, while avoiding a notoriously poorly reviewed area by guests.

@Matt just how bad is Nassau? Just bought a 4K camcorder for my trip. Should I leave it on the ship? I'm only interested in seeing Atlantis, mainly the aquarium not the water park.

14 minutes ago, Matt said:

I ALWAYS wanted to ask this question to expert cruiser.. maybe I should start a new thread but here we go. 

WHY is it that Nassau gets such a bad review? I only visited Nassau once - we purchased a day pass at Melia resort - and experience wasn't all that different from other port such as St. Kitts, St. Maarten..

Am I missing something about Nassau? Cable beach was beautiful!

37 minutes ago, 12thman said:

@Matt just how bad is Nassau? Just bought a 4K camcorder for my trip. Should I leave it on the ship? I'm only interested in seeing Atlantis, mainly the aquarium not the water park.

I think it's fine. I just went there three times last week and walked around. Like any port you visit, I think it's important to be vigilant about your personal safety, having a plan, and not acting like a fool in general.

30 minutes ago, mook1525 said:

I ALWAYS wanted to ask this question to expert cruiser.. maybe I should start a new thread but here we go. 

WHY is it that Nassau gets such a bad review? I only visited Nassau once - we purchased a day pass at Melia resort - and experience wasn't all that different from other port such as St. Kitts, St. Maarten..

It's a long story, but essentially Nassau is not as beautiful, developed or as wide-ranging in its offerings as other Caribbean cruise ports. I think there's a lot of factors involved, but in a nutshell, veteran cruisers greatly prefer other ports.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2019 at 9:55 AM, mook1525 said:

As long as you are on the Paradise island side of the bridge things are fine. The Nassau you see by cruise ship is totally different than the one when the ships aren't in. I'm a boat captain by trade. Rough tough eat clams while still in the shell type and come sundown Nassau scares me bad. Cable is a center for bad behavior at night. Bay Street that by day is nice is a ghost town with far too many shady individuals hiding in all those little cut through alleys. Had a guy try to hold me up at knife point after failing to sell me drugs or women. He didn't notice that I was wearing a pair of fishing pliers that when applied liberally to his temple cause him to drop the knife and take off. Nassau just a few blocks in has terrible crime rate with large number of murders even. 

On 3/28/2019 at 1:00 PM, Zambia-Zaire said:

I think one thing that could be a boost is overnight itineraries either at private island resorts or major U.S. or Intl cities...or some combination of both, if applicable...

I agree on the major cities.  I would love overnights in several places, San Juan for example.  Why not two days and one night in San Juan, then cruise to the next port overnight.  

• 1 month later...

I assume the plan is to redevelop the Lucayan area into something like Falmouth, Jamaica? A closed off "port" with some fancy shops full of tourist merchandise. Except with the addition of a hotel/resort. 

What I really wonder is if their plan is to use the existing port and shuttle people there or if they will tender their captive audience directly into the resort? Maybe even a long term plan to build a pier?

I'm wondering if the Grand Lucayan will become the overnight destination that they first started talking about doing at Coco Cay.  I don't see there being enough real estate to do that at Coco Cay now but if they use the already existing resort at Grand Bahama and develop that into a combination land resort and overnight stay destination for cruise pax, I think they have plenty of space there.  Maybe they will repurpose the Majesty and Empress to be the ships that bring and retrieve pax from the resort.

• 8 months later...
On 3/28/2019 at 5:27 PM, ltw said:

Actually it does make some sense in that RCI will have two captive ports where cruisers will have to spend their money exclusively with RCI. Not to mention that it looks like a land based vacation destination in itself.

Would like to see Royal purchase & develop an area south of Tampico, Mexico as a Private Cruise Resort destination, similar to Labadee, for the Western Caribbean; and, maybe/also work with other cruise lines, in conjunction with Corpus Christi city & county council, & state of Texas, in developing a market/entertainment district that smaller cruise ships(up to Liberty Class at least, if not larger) can port to as well, creating new itineraries, in the Western Caribbean. The Eastern Caribbean is saturated & ever expanding...there is a chance to look for opportunities in the Western Caribbean.