Glacier Bay

The National Parks Department awarded the next set of 10-year licenses for Glacier bay.....And RC got one!  It is believed the leases take effect this October.  It will be interesting how RC uses this.  I am on Radiance next June and won't be surprised if our itinerary changes to include it (probably at the cost of losing Icy Strait Point  ;(      )

https://www.nps.gov/glba/learn/news/glacier-bay-issues-new-contracts-for-cruise-ship-services.htm

53 minutes ago, jce2 said:

The National Parks Department awarded the next set of 10-year licenses for Glacier bay.....And RC got one!  It is believed the leases take effect this October.  It will be interesting how RC uses this.  I am on Radiance next June and won't be surprised if our itinerary changes to include it (probably at the cost of losing Icy Strait Point  ;(      )

https://www.nps.gov/glba/learn/news/glacier-bay-issues-new-contracts-for-cruise-ship-services.htm

Contact was awarded to Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Keep in mind Royal Caribbean International is a subsidiary of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Celebrity along with Azamara are also subsidiaries of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

Furthermore, I recall awhile back some huge fault that a Royal Caribbean International ship did that essentially got them kicked out of Glacier Bay.

I am kind of hoping this doesn't affect Radiance.  Currently our plan is a whale excursion in Icy Strait and do no excursion in Juneau and head out to Mendenhall and the Salmon bake on our own.  If Icy Strait were replaced with GB we would need to cram a Whale Excursion into our day at Juneau

Does anyone know the size restrictions for Glacier Bay? Could Ovation sail there instead of Endicott Arm? 

And I agree with the above poster- if it was to impact Radiance, I think you'd lose Hubbard Glacier, not Icy Strait Point. 

More info here:

https://www.juneauempire.com/news/glacier-bay-cruise-ship-permits-get-redo/

"In coming years, each of the five cruise ship companies awarded contracts will be allowed 153 “use days” in the park each summer and 92 in the shoulder season (May and September combined). That pencils out to two or fewer ships per day will be allowed in park, a number capped by a science advisory board."

"Holland America and Princess Cruises have 71 use days already tied up. NPS grandfathered those companies in, as they have claims to historical use going back previous to the Alaska National Interest Lands Conservation Act. ANILCA requires NPS to respect their historical use of the park."

The latter most likely accounts for why Carnival doesn't apply as the parent company but specifically as HAL and Princess.

When you try to research why Royal hasn't been doing Glacier Bay in nearly two decades it certainly pulls up some stuff doesn't paint them in a good light.  Wasn't able to find anything official about permits being denied or revoked, but did learn a lot about EPA regulations in Alaska.

Glad to see that they've cleaned up their act!

37 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

When you try to research why Royal hasn't been doing Glacier Bay in nearly two decades it certainly pulls up some stuff doesn't paint them in a good light.  Wasn't able to find anything official about permits being denied or revoked, but did learn a lot about EPA regulations in Alaska.

Glad to see that they've cleaned up their act!

The cruise industry in general has some skeletons in the closet and many cruise lines left room for improvements.  

• 7 months later...

Dear Guest,

Before we set sail on our May 22, 2020 Ovation of the Seas cruise, we have a change to share with you.

Earlier this year, we were excited to add Glacier Bay National Park, Alaska to our itinerary. However, sometimes things don’t go as planned and we’ve changed back to the original itinerary. So, we’ll visit Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier as originally planned, instead of Glacier Bay National Park. We are sorry for any disappointment, but we’re confident you’ll have a wonderful time as we provide you with plenty of opportunities to explore everything Alaska has to offer – including glaciers!

?

17 minutes ago, BD1157 said:

I saw where one of the cruises I was checking out the swapped Skagway for Glacier Bay. I thought read that Carnival Purchased the White Pass Railway and docks in Skagway. I wonder if that is why they swapped out Skagway.

I believe it's a matter of logistics.  Skagway is further up the inlet past Juneau and Skagway is at the end of the inlet - only one way to get there.  In order to introduce Glacial Bay something else had to go and the logical port to drop is the one furthest away.  

1 hour ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

@twangster you don't think Royal's logistics team would have known that before publicly announcing the addition of Glacial Bay to the itinerary?

I'm not sure I follow.  In choosing to add Glacial Bay to the itinerary something had to change, some port had to be dropped.  They couldn't simply add Glacial Bay to the itinerary and leave the itinerary as it was.