Potential Chartered Cruise

Here's what i know.. Cruise date 19 Jan 2020 Oasis.  This cruise is a follow on cruise (S2S) and in a J4 room.

Rumors are floating of ship being chartered out. (Alot can be said about this (Rumors).

Posting on Fackbook for this group have listed that they have chartered the cruise. (Atlantis)

What are your recommendations?

1. Wait for cruise to be official chartered. (Contunue to do nothing and wait for cruise offers from RCCL)

2. Book another cruise for that time frame (Refundable rate)  Ability to cancel without losing money.

Have the offere's been worth it from RCCL?  What i mean by this is, do you get offered that same catagory room with price fixed on what you paid for in the beginnng? What if your room catagory isn't available, but rooms are at higher and lower cat rooms?

My lone experience with having a cruise cancelled was as follows:

1. Royal offers to price protect your cabin fare on SELECT cruises.  These cruises were either on the same ship or a second ship sailing from the same port.  These cruises were earlier and later in time than the cancelled cruise.  What Royal didn't offer was protection pricing for the week the cruise was cancelled on any ship.  In my case, that was the issue since I didn't have the freedom the move my cruise to a different sailing period, even one week earlier or later.

2. Royal offers you OBC on any  re-booked cruise even if it's not price protected- in my case $200

3. Royal offered to cover up to $200 per guest for nonrefundable airline charges, if you re-booked.

4. Lastly Royal offers to fully refund your deposit if you don't re-book.

4 minutes ago, SolariumSnoozer said:

1. These cruises were either on the same ship or a second ship sailing from the same port.  These cruises were earlier and later in time than the cancelled cruise. 

That's my concern since i will be getting off another ship prior to this cruise. ?

I would find your contingency plan, book it and then wait for Royal's offer.  If it doesn't come before final payment, then you can make the hard decision to keep the original booking knowing that it could end up being canceled.  If it is fully chartered, usually you will know before that final booking, especially if you already see the rumors.

Game the system...if you wait and it is cancelled there will be an OBC offer option if you transfer your deposit to a new cruise booking.  Might as well get that OBC. 

Pinging @CGTLH for input as we were just discussing this with another rumored charter that did come to fruition. 

Here's a CC thread about a similar situation that just got the cancellation offer:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2638390-explorer-dec-8-2019-chartered/

Letter from the CC post @AshleyDillo mentioned sums everything thing up when it comes to a ship getting chartered. Big wildcard is always going to be what the price protected sailings will be.

One thing to keep in mind is it took almost a month from when the rumors started swirling until the official announcement was made. In the mean time bookings were still open for a short period. One way to tell of a possible charter is only one category in each of the core categories will show. 

8 minutes ago, mworkman said:

The Suite catagory has been showing sold out for 2-3 months now.

If you look at trying to book you'll see only one type of interior, oceanview, neighborhood balcony, and oceanview balcony listed. That is a very ominous sign.

From a major cruise booking site:

image.png.858039001af4a39500e40a4a30068837.png

16 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

I would find your contingency plan, book it and then wait for Royal's offer.  If it doesn't come before final payment, then you can make the hard decision to keep the original booking knowing that it could end up being canceled.  If it is fully chartered, usually you will know before that final booking, especially if you already see the rumors

I like the idea of having a second booking out there as back up. Just keep that final payment date in mind so you can cancel either one.

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

I like the idea of having a second booking out there as back up. Just keep that final payment date in mind so you can cancel either one.

That's what im thinking, my question is if i make a second booking, then get the cancellation letter long after the facts would RCCL still give the OBC or do you have to make the booking after you receive official notification?

6 minutes ago, Matt said:

Agree, just keep the original booking in play also.

Another advantage of a TA is they should fight for you in getting any benefits from the cancellation applied to your backup cruise.

1 minute ago, mworkman said:

That's what im thinking, my question is if i make a second booking, then get the cancellation letter long after the facts would RCCL still give the OBC or do you have to make the booking after you receive official notification?

1 minute ago, CGTLH said:

Another advantage of a TA is they should fight for you in getting any benefits from the cancellation applied to your backup cruise.

What @CGTLH said is what I would say. Let TA know of your plan and let them do the work for you!

I'm not promising it will definitely work, but better to have a reservation backup on a sailing you are happy with than trying to scramble for something later.

1 hour ago, mworkman said:

Let the TA fight to apply the OBC to the backup...worst case scenario you just use that OBC on an entirely new booking for a future cruise.  Consider the OBC as a significant return on investment for Royal holding onto the deposit for longer.

1 hour ago, mworkman said:

@Vancity Cruiser Looks like i keep running into potential chartered ships...or this could be a large group booking on Allure 19 Jan 2020

https://www.kosherica.com/kosher-cruises/caribbean/

That isn't normally a full ship charter. But from what I've seen mentioned in the past it does disrupt some of the normal operations.

Is there a certain amount of rooms within a group booking required before RCCL makes the group charter the ship? I would hope that once it disrupts normal operations they would enforce the group to charter the ship or pair up with another group for a charter.  Understanding the dollars drive the ship, but it causes some backlash at a point.  Guest services is where it normally happens at.

6 hours ago, mworkman said:

@Vancity Cruiser Looks like i keep running into potential chartered ships...or this could be a large group booking on Allure 19 Jan 2020

https://www.kosherica.com/kosher-cruises/caribbean/

What are the odds.......was just on Norwegian Getaway in January (a cruise which cemented our decision to be loyal to royal) and there was a similar group on there. It didn't really affect anything because with Norwegians freestyle dining and having multiple dining rooms on the ship they just made one kosher. Not sure how they will handle that on the Allure......perhaps one of the levels of the main dining room would be reserved for kosher guests?

Guess "disrupt normal operations" was a bit too harsh. 

What I've read in the past is either this group or a similar one had dedicated use of Mini Bites. More areas were closed off for group functions at times. Plus some other special accommodations for the group.

I've never witnessed first hand, just seen the comments posted in various places. Sure a majority were blown out of proportion.

7 hours ago, mworkman said:

Is there a certain amount of rooms within a group booking required before RCCL makes the group charter the ship? I would hope that once it disrupts normal operations they would enforce the group to charter the ship or pair up with another group for a charter.  Understanding the dollars drive the ship, but it causes some backlash at a point.  Guest services is where it normally happens at.

This is the FAQ'S for incentives (Charter) bookings. Maybe this will help you? http://www.royalcaribbeanincentives.com/full-ship-charter-faqs/

• 2 weeks later...

Well notifications is being sent out for the official cancellation. I haven't seen the email yet..don't know if that's because I booked through a TA or not.  Here is what the offer is for the sailing.  I see Allure is on there as a replacement for the week I booked for a backup. Now to see if the TA can fight to get the OBC moved to this sailings.

Dear Guest,

We are reaching out to let you know that, regrettably, we have to cancel our Oasis of the Seas January 19th, 2020 cruise, as it has been chartered. We know this news is disappointing and apologize for the impact to your vacation.

We want every aspect of your vacation to be enjoyable. So, we’ve put together some alternate options that we hope you will take advantage of.

Option 1: Re-book one of the following 2020 sailings

Oasis of the Seas departing from Miami, Florida on:

Jan 5th sailing to Philipsburg, St. Maarten | San Juan, Puerto Rico | Labadee, Haiti.

Jan 12th, Jan 26th, Feb 9th or Feb 23rd sailing to Labadee, Haiti | Falmouth, Jamaica | Cozumel, Mexico.

Feb 16th sailing to Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas| San Juan, Puerto Rico | Labadee, Haiti.

Allure of the Seas departing from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida on:

Jan 5th or Feb 2nd sailing to Basseterre, St. Kitts & Nevis | Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas | Perfect Day at CocoCay, Bahamas.

Jan 12th, Jan 26th or Feb 23rd sailing to Perfect Day at CocoCay, Bahamas | Cozumel, Mexico | Puerto Costa Maya, Mexico | Roatan, Honduras.

Jan 19th or Feb 16th sailing to Philipsburg, St. Maarten | Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas | Perfect Day at CocoCay, Bahamas.

If there is one word that describes the Caribbean islands, it’s easygoing. Do it all or do as little as you want on your Caribbean vacation! With miles of sun-drenched beaches, thrilling water activities, culturally enriching tours, delicious local cuisine, and plenty of shopping options, there’s an island just for you! Try something new and check it off your bucket list. We are sure you’ll find your perfect getaway!

What you’ll receive:

Option 2: Re-book any other Royal Caribbean International sailing and receive the following:

• A credit to spend onboard per stateroom: $200 for Interior, Ocean View and Balcony staterooms | $400 for Suites
  • Plus, an additional $50 for each third or more guest to spend onboard
  • And, you’ll be reimbursed for non-refundable airline charges with receipts (up to $200 per guest for Domestic flights or up to $400 per guest for International flights).

Option 3: If you choose to cancel, we’ll be sad to see you go

• We will process a full refund of any paid portion of your cruise fare to the original form of payment, including any non-refundable deposits. Please note, if you choose this option, we will not provide additional compensation, including air reimbursement.

It’s important to us that you find the best vacation option. One of our destination experts will call you starting April 10th to help find your perfect cruise. If we happen to miss you, please call us back by April 24th, 2019 at 888-281-9344. If we haven’t heard from you by April 24th, your reservation will be cancelled.

Lastly, any pre-paid amenities, packages, or shore excursions will be refunded to the original form of payment within 7-10 business days.

Thank you for understanding. We hope you find another cruise vacation with us. Whether you are celebrating a special occasion or looking to explore, relax, and recharge - we have no doubt your time with us will be nothing short of amazing. We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

9 minutes ago, mworkman said:

Well notifications is being sent out for the official cancellation. I haven't seen the email yet..don't know if that's because I booked through a TA or not.  Here is what the offer is for the sailing.  I see Allure is on there as a replacement for the week I booked for a backup. Now to see if the TA can fight to get the OBC moved to this sailings.

Dd you book refundable on Allure?

Is the price protection rate better than your booked rate?

Worst case do the math.  Losing $100pp to the NRDB fee may make sense if the price protection rate and OBC offer are cheaper.  

Or, YOLO, book another cruise and get the OBC on that one. 

33 minutes ago, mworkman said:

Now to see if the TA can fight to get the OBC moved to this sailings.

Great advantage of having a TA. Just dealt with this for a different cancellation. New booking had been made the previous day after the phone number given had stated they were closed. Called next day trying to get things squared away. Wouldn't apply the OBC to the new booking and wouldn't honor the price from the other day to transfer. Only took two hours to finally get everything squared away, OBC and price kept.

Lesson learned, use/transfer to a TA. Now I just need to get it transferred...

38 minutes ago, mworkman said:

When the cruise gets chartered and notification goes out, how long will that cruise stay in the reservation section in your account?

Think until it is automatically cancelled. Otherwise the booking will show the updated sailing information. Just might take a day or so to show any changes.

Update:  Talked to our TA and here is where were at.  Since no JS were available for some the cruises and due to existing booking prior to this cruise, those dated won't work, RC wants price difference for GS and above. So were left with booking further down the road in order to get the $400 OBC. Unfortunately we have pets and don't want to cruise longer than 2 week.  If we didn't it would be game on for 3 weeks of cruising. ?

Now the search for another cruise is ON! ?  Harmony Dec 13, 2020 so i can Jinks someone else! 

58 minutes ago, mworkman said:

Now the search for another cruise is ON! ?  Harmony Dec 13, 2020 so i can Jinks someone else! 

No way! Don’t you dare! ?

I have my entire family of 14 on that cruise in the Villa suite!  Both you and @twangster should stay far away from that one!

Kidding...you should book. Then you can meet the Lulubot in person ?

9 minutes ago, mworkman said:

? 14 people in one Villa ? I hope you have scheduled showers and restroom activities. ☹️

We’re good! It’s a good thing we all love each other and are super close. Literally, for that week. ? 

5 kids under 12, one teen, and 8 adults. You would not believe the deal we got!  Per person cost is less than a balcony. That sailing better not get chartered or cancelled!

26 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

We’re good! It’s a good thing we all love each other and are super close. Literally, for that week. ? 

5 kids under 12, one teen, and 8 adults. You would not believe the deal we got!  Per person cost is less than a balcony. That sailing better not get chartered or cancelled!

I'm accepting donations on Paypal for anyone who doesn't want me on their cruise to avoid the twangster curse.  Otherwise I just might book it!