Snorkeling

brianastree

I am planning to attend a shore excursion that include snorkeling.

In the activity,  can I  rent a Mask for near sightedness ?

Or, can I do snorkeling with my glasses for near sightedness?

If both cannot be archived, I have to forgive snorkeling because I cannot enjoy beautiful sightseeing in the sea.

While prescription masks do exist, it is pretty rare that an excursion would have them available.  It would be best to try to find one that is customized for your nearsightedness and bring it with you on the cruise.  You can order them online or find a local dive shop to assist you.  

You won't be able to get the proper seal on a mask while wearing glasses unfortunately.  I feel your pain as I am nearsighted as well and absolutely would not be able to see anything without corrective lenses.  I rarely wear contacts, but snorkeling is one activity where I do.

5 hours ago, brianastree said:

In the activity,  can I  rent a Mask for near sightedness ?

Or, can I do snorkeling with my glasses for near sightedness?

If both cannot be archived, I have to forgive snorkeling because I cannot enjoy beautiful sightseeing in the sea.

I agree with @AshleyDillo in that there is zero chance of there being anything beyond basic masks. And you can’t wear glasses with a mask (and I would not even suggest contacts, but others may disagree).  But please don’t give up! I love snorkeling and I would hate for someone to miss it because of the the “glasses” issues (I wore glasses from eighth grade on and only do not wear them now due to Lasix 10+ years ago). We use Cressi and Aqua Lung equipment and I know that they have prescription lens available for their masks. In fact, I think most of the better brands of snorkeling and diving masks do and at a more reasonable rate than I would have guessed (I have checked them out, hubby wears glasses).  There should be a huge variety out there, I hope you find something that works for you !

6 hours ago, brianastree said:

This will be my first time snorkeling since I am wearing glasses (progressives). I was told to ask my eye doctor for my prescription as the snorkeling company I am using may have something close to that.  My back up plan is getting daily wear contact lenses and just using them for the day - not ideal & I'm sure I'll lose a couple but it's worth a try for me.  I'm also bringing my old pair of glasses to use at all the beach stops we make and keeping my good ones back at the ship as the salt water pretty much destroys them.  

I wear my contacts when I snorkel and have no issues. My mother bought a mask with prescription lens inserts and just brings it with her; she uses the tour company's snorkel and fins. Investing in a mask depends on if you might want to snorkel more in the future or if this is a one-time thing.

Also, if you are only a little near-sighted, the light refraction in the water will make things appear about 25% larger/closer anyway, so you might not need to do anything special!