Tipping at specialty restaurants

donna gross

Hi, if you purchase the package on the cruise planner prior to departure the gratuities are included. If you purchase on board I believe the gratuities need to be paid on top of the package price. (I am assuming you are referring to the multi night dining package).

On the prepaid package you are still welcome to add a further tip if you think the service was exceptional.

In most cases, the receipt will specify that a service charge (aka gratuity) is already included in the cover charge you paid. Usually it is specified as either a line item on the receipt, and/or at the very bottom.

You can certainly elect to leave an additional tip if you feel appropriate.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2019 at 9:30 AM, Matt said:

In most cases, the receipt will specify that a service charge (aka gratuity) is already included in the cover charge you paid. Usually it is specified as either a line item on the receipt, and/or at the very bottom.

You can certainly elect to leave an additional tip if you feel appropriate.

Matt, 

Since I have refreshment package already.on ship,  Can I tip in cash if I choose to? Will the bartenders take cash tip? 

3 minutes ago, mellibee said:

Matt, 

Since I have refreshment package already.on ship,  Can I tip in cash if I choose to? Will the bartenders take cash tip? 

Cash tips are always well received.  I bring singles with me when I cruise but you can also stop by guest services and ask them to break down a $20 to smaller bills for tipping.

Keep in mind the package includes gratuity.  Additional tipping is not required.

47 minutes ago, mellibee said:

Matt, 

Yes you tip in cash. Keep in mind that the package already includes gratuity, so the cash gratuity you are talking about is for an additional tip on top of the 18% that's already included with your package purchase.

58 minutes ago, twangster said:

Cash tips are always well received.  I bring singles with me when I cruise but you can also stop by guest services and ask them to break down a $20 to smaller bills for tipping.

Keep in mind the package includes gratuity.  Additional tipping is not required.

so you think you fit in my pocket? lol THANK YOU AGAIN

20 hours ago, DublinFC said:

If they earn the extra tip I do it, if not, then no.

Thats how tips are supposed to work, nowadays the mentality is "if i give them a TIP before they do any work then they will do better work".  While this may be true it sets a terrible precedence as at work we call it Bribery.

On 4/11/2019 at 11:16 AM, twangster said:

I always tip on top of added gratuities. A buck here or there especially earlier on in the cruise goes a long way, in my opinion.

On foreign cruises, do you tip in US dollars or local currency like Euros? Do you think it makes a difference? 

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone - I know this is an older post, but I just joined the forums today. 

We have a free specialty dining for 2 from our TA.  We had this the last time we cruised as well, but that was eons ago.  How much should we tip the waiter? I don't recall if there was an assistant waiter.  

TIA (thanks in advance)

12 hours ago, raahc said:

Hello everyone - I know this is an older post, but I just joined the forums today. 

We have a free specialty dining for 2 from our TA.  We had this the last time we cruised as well, but that was eons ago.  How much should we tip the waiter? I don't recall if there was an assistant waiter.  

TIA (thanks in advance)

If your TA included speciality dining the gratuity is already included in your meal.  As the other posts mention you can leave some extra if you feel the service warranted it.  

If you are looking for a number I would say 5 - 15 dollars additional would be the range i have seen most people discuss.

8 hours ago, marti314 said:

If your TA included speciality dining the gratuity is already included in your meal.  As the other posts mention you can leave some extra if you feel the service warranted it.  

If you are looking for a number I would say 5 - 15 dollars additional would be the range i have seen most people discuss.

Oh, I didn't know that, thank you.  One less thing to worry about! 

We did carry a wad of $1 and $5 USD for our last cruise.  Thanks also for the tip on the range (pun intended) lol

• 5 months later...