Cozumel/Yucatan - can I just walk around??

Julie.a

On our last cruise I learned that there are ports where you can just walk around on your own to explore (like Key West) and ports where you really need to get a cab and know where you're going (like Nassau).  We're going to Cozumel and Yucatan in August.  Does anyone have experience with these ports?  I'd like to see the ruins, but just for an hour because my kids will lose interest.  I'd also like to do the fun water parks like Mr. Sanchos.  What can I do on my own, and what do I need to pre-book and arrange transportation for?  TIA!!

Cozumel is a port where you can walk around.  

It’s an island a few miles off shore from the mainland Yucatán.  Excursion to the ruins have to cross the channel to the mainland and can be a rough ride on a ferry sometimes.

Visiting the Mayan ruins on the mainland from Cozumel consumes a lot of time.  There are some Mayan ruins on the island of Cozumel but it’s mostly foundations of old building and not nearly as impressive as the ruins on the mainland.  They require transportation and are too far to walk   

A popular place to visit with kids is Playa Mia or Mr Sanchos.  Virtually all such places are a short taxi ride away.  

While you are generally safe to walk around Cozumel it might be boring for kids.  Restaurants and bars are plentiful but not a lot for kids within walking distance of the ship.  

1 hour ago, Julie.a said:

I just need to decide what we'll do in Yucatan (if anything)

Progreso is what Royal calls Yucatan on the cruises that hit there. Here is a link to Trip advisor, see what you can find there, I didn't really dig very deep in the web page. Not sure about a Taxi or walking on this one.

Cozumel, Mr Sanchos if you have kids (Which you state you do) or Nachi Cocom is another, @Matt has written some revues on the main blog page about some resort/hotels for the day. As @twangster says a taxi is required for all of them.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g668864-Progreso_Yucatan_Peninsula-Vacations.html