Ocean Views on Lower Decks

How are the ocean views on the lower deck?  We're debating between Independence and Brilliance. The cost of the ocean view on Brilliance is same cost as balcony on Independence.  We love Independence but we've been on it before so thinking maybe we should try Brilliance. 

One warning I've read about Brilliance is to get a room away from the Centrium as it's very loud at night.  Brilliance has ocean view rooms on deck 7 and 8, but they are right at the front of the ship so movement concerns me (esp on a smaller ship).  So....has anyone been on an ocean view on deck 3 or 4?  I think we'd still pick forward section to be away from Centrium but not sure about being so low. Thoughts?

Also..if anyone has comments about Brilliance vs Indy let me know (I posted the other day about Brilliance overall and got some great feedback)

It is true that cabins close to the Centrum do have noise from the Centrum activities.  They close doors at night but every time anyone passes through them the noise comes through.

Indy was refreshed last year so depending when you last sailed her she may be a different ship.  The presence of a Promenade plus all the great enchancments make Indy very appealing unless you seek a smaller ship experience.   

We've had ocean views on lower decks of Voyager class and Freedom class ships.  One great advantage (in addition to the savings) is that on port days, when you return to the ship, you don't need to wait for the elevators.  You just  hop up one or 2 flights of steps (depending on which deck you are on). I think the only times we used the elevators were to get to the pool deck, Windjammer and fitness center.  That being said, all things equal, balconies are great but they usually cost more.  I'm just saying that the ocean views on the lower decks have advantages.  We've never been on a Radiance or Vision class ship so I can't speak to the noise from the Centrum. 

20 minutes ago, twangster said:

It is true that cabins close to the Centrum do have noise from the Centrum activities.  They close doors at night but every time anyone passes through them the noise comes through.

Indy was refreshed last year so depending when you last sailed her she may be a different ship.  The presence of a Promenade plus all the great enchancments make Indy very appealing unless you seek a smaller ship experience.   

Yes we were actually on Independence last December, which already included the changes. Love the ship (and our kids would love the new amenities - very similar to Mariner). Really loved Grease and Once Upon a Time, and ice show was great too.  But then,  we've seen the shows and have been on the ship so questioning if we should try something different?

Aside from Grandeur (which was too many years ago to remember),never been on a smaller ship.  As long as they have activities and stuff, we should be fine.  We wouldn't bring our kids on Brilliance (and if we end up taking our kids, then we would select Indy).  Again, ignoring Grandeur, I've never stayed in an ocean view and on such a low deck.  Poster above brought up the point that its near the port (although only 1 stop on a 4 nighter) and I guess also near the MDR. 

The Centrium noise is the main concern....so not sure how forward to select to try and get avoid the noise?  (But don't want far forward due to movement)

18 minutes ago, baltodave said:

We've had ocean views on lower decks of Voyager class and Freedom class ships.  One great advantage (in addition to the savings) is that on port days, when you return to the ship, you don't need to wait for the elevators.  You just  hop up one or 2 flights of steps (depending on which deck you are on). I think the only times we used the elevators were to get to the pool deck, Windjammer and fitness center.  That being said, all things equal, balconies are great but they usually cost more.  I'm just saying that the ocean views on the lower decks have advantages.  We've never been on a Radiance or Vision class ship so I can't speak to the noise from the Centrum. 

Yeah...balcony is $500 more on Brilliance so that's a substantial savings to stick with an ocean view (which is only $150 more than an interior)

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

Most cabins on deck 3 are fine since the Centrum starts on deck 4.  Above deck 4 the Centrum is open so on any deck higher than 4 cabins near the Centrum can hear it, but not so for decks below deck 4.  

Thank you!  And obviously then deck 3 is better than deck 4.

We had 3550 o/v on Serenade, which is the same class as Brilliance so I imagine almost identical. We did not hear any noise from the centrum even once during our 12-day cruise, so you should be fine in that respect. 

A couple of things to consider are that the view isn't anything to write home about that low down and you may have to keep the curtains closed for privacy if the ship ties up with your side next to the dock. 

2 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

Thank you.  In the end we paid the extra and went with a balcony.  Its deck 8 in aft so hopefully ok for noise (or lack of)

I’m on the lovely looking Brilliance on Monday so let me know if you want me to check out your cabin location. We are on 8 also but waaaaay forward. We can’t wait! I thought Freedom was too big so we shall see what I think of Radiance class. (Yes I know I sound like a grandma, get off my lawn!) 

8 hours ago, pepperandchips said:

I’m on the lovely looking Brilliance on Monday so let me know if you want me to check out your cabin location. We are on 8 also but waaaaay forward. We can’t wait! I thought Freedom was too big so we shall see what I think of Radiance class. (Yes I know I sound like a grandma, get off my lawn!) 

That's exciting your cruise is so close. Would love to hear feedback when you return.  

We were debating forward or aft (avoiding central for centrum issues) but ended up with aft as I wasn't sure about ship movement. We are deck 8 near back at 8148.  That would be wonderful if you could check to see if location is ok.  Thanks so much.   (But no worries if you don't get around to it...so kind of you to ask).

Enjoy your cruise!

We were in 4536 on Brilliance in January and we could hear in our cabin when the cruise staff used the microphone for events.  We kept opening our door thinking it was a muffled overhead announcement but it was the Centrum dance lesson, game show, etc...  We thought we were far enough away that we wouldn't hear it but were not.  We got used to it by day 3, but honestly were barely in our cabin the whole trip (it was a group cruise.)