Chops Grill

lildawgscottFL

I have only been to Chops on Liberty of the Seas (last week) and our food was outstanding.  We all ordered the "petit" filet mignon (just the 6 oz. portion - they offered a 9 oz. too!) and they brought out all of the sides for the table to share... it was what we expected from the reviews we read on this forum.  The appetizers and desserts were excellent too!  

We also enjoyed Portofino (also was excellent on Explorer), but from what I understand they are being phased out or converted/replaced by either Giovanni's Table or Jamie's Italian, etc...

Do they charge extra for the filet? Either size?

No additional charge unless you order the porterhouse or other specialty/dry-aged steaks (I forgot which types), etc... Filet Mignon is included in either size... I just knew all of the other food would fill me up so I ordered the 6 oz. to play it safe!  It was very tender and was cooked exactly as ordered.

We had a lackluster experience on the Jewel, but I credit that with a first night experience as we had a similar lackluster experience on the Brilliance with Giovanni's when we dined there on the first night.  At least the discount helped make up for it.  I also discovered that the fillet is the only way to go at Chops.  The other dishes (e.g., fish, braised short rib, and strip) don't come any where near the quality or taste of the fillet.  In fact, my wife who isn't much of a steak eater, which is why I sampled some of the other dishes, even agrees and will be ordering the fillet on our Liberty cruise in January.

Well, then, I shall never go on a first night, regardless of the discount. Thank you, sir!

As they say, your mileage may vary and you might have a better experience. We tend to be among the first diners on the first night, so it could get better later into the evening. It's not stopping us from eating at Chops on the first night aboard Liberty, plus my son wants to go for the shrimp cocktail.

Are you being objective or biased by your love? ;-) After all, we listen to your podcast, you know. Your passionate love affair with food is well known.

Ha! I really feel like Chops is one of the best specialty restaurants Royal Caribbean offers and is also among the top rated by folks that dine there.  I consistently hear good things about it.

I concur with jti. In the "old days" you used to be able to order anything off the specialty restaurant menus for the same "modest charge". There were no upcharged offerings on the already upcharged restaurants. Now, I recognize that quantity does not always make up for lack of quality, and most people aren't going to gorge themselves in the specialty restaurants like they might be tempted to do at the Windjammer, but just the idea that I cannot have whatever I want on the menu at Chops without having to pay extra is a little bit of a problem for me. ...not to mention that the upcharge is no longer a "modest" charge. At $40 PP you might as well be going to a moderately-high end restaurant in town ! I also recognize that almost NOBODY pays $40 PP at Chops with all of the discounts and packages and what-not, but that is, still, the base price for eating at Chops these days.

I have not eaten at Chops in a number of years except for the suites breakfast which just coincidentally happens to be at Chops. It's a bit of a boycott on my part. I think the food is reasonably good. I won't argue that. I just find that it no longer provides the incentive that it once did....and I am much more satisfied with the reasonably good FREE food (although we all know there is no such thing...just food I have already paid for) in the MDR than I am with the reasonably good food that I have to pay twice...or more...for.

I concur with jti. In the "old days" you used to be able to order anything off the specialty restaurant menus for the same "modest charge". There were no upcharged offerings on the already upcharged restaurants. Now, I recognize that quantity does not always make up for lack of quality, and most people aren't going to gorge themselves in the specialty restaurants like they might be tempted to do at the Windjammer, but just the idea that I cannot have whatever I want on the menu at Chops without having to pay extra is a little bit of a problem for me. ...not to mention that the upcharge is no longer a "modest" charge. At $40 PP you might as well be going to a moderately-high end restaurant in town ! I also recognize that almost NOBODY pays $40 PP at Chops with all of the discounts and packages and what-not, but that is, still, the base price for eating at Chops these days.

I have not eaten at Chops in a number of years except for the suites breakfast which just coincidentally happens to be at Chops. It's a bit of a boycott on my part. I think the food is reasonably good. I won't argue that. I just find that it no longer provides the incentive that it once did....and I am much more satisfied with the reasonably good FREE food (although we all know there is no such thing...just food I have already paid for) in the MDR than I am with the reasonably good food that I have to pay twice...or more...for.

It's never about the money for me, when it comes to cruising. If we all get really real about the VALUE we all get from cruising, there's nothing anyone should complain about ever. Try to get the same value on land. Perhaps if you stay at a La Quinta and eat at Denny's, you could come close to the PRICE, but then you're staying at La Quinta and eating at Denny's - and you're not getting any of the other value add-ons that come with a Royal cruise. Up to a point, Royal can charge me whatever they want, as long as they keep delivering on their promise of a great product and excellent service. After all, they need to earn a profit too. Otherwise, all of these awe-inspiring innovations that we all love so much won't keep happening. Doing business with Royal is definitely a win-win for the consumer and company alike.

Where are you dining for $40 per person at a steakhouse on land? Outback? Longhorn? Texas Roadhouse? That's possible. But Outback, et al, do not compare with Chops, or so I've been told. A true comparable steakhouse experience would cost more like $100 per person. Sabor, for example, costs $30 per person. A comparable Mexican experience on land would cost 50% more. It's not Taco Bell, after all. But, you might say, we are already paying for the MDR. Yes, technically, but not really. We're paying $60 a day (if you get a normal cruise fare - I usually like to pay $40-$50) for EVERYTHING. I have not gotten a hotel room alone for $60 a day in years. The all-inclusive nature of our beloved cruise is unbeatable.

I am happy to hear, though, that even if you do not find value in Chops any longer, you do still think the quality is there, and that is the information I was after.

Scott to be honest I wouldn't put Chops the last couple of times I went far above the Outback/Longhorn/Texas Roadhouse level.

First time or two we went it was not quite to the level of Bern's Steakhouse or Capital Grille (both here in Tampa) not sure if you know of either one but both excellent high end steakhouses.

We had signature cocktails made at our table, signature salad made at our table, waiter constantly checking on us (I think he had 2 or 3 tables max), lots of signature "touches" that made for an incredible dining experience for the extra $25 or so (several years ago).

The last couple of times everything has come out ready to serve, the menu has been slimmed down, the waiters are much less attentive, etc. and the price has gone up .. no longer competes with a top steakhouse in my book. Its better than an Outback but not by much and considering the $40 does not include alcohol at all, I can get a pretty darn good feed at Outback for $40 ;)

Again not saying its bad by any stretch but it isn't what it was.

We had Brilliant service on the Brilliance (sorry for the pun) and everything was phenomenal. Before that on the Jewel, it was less so, so perhaps there's a change taking place. In my opinion, though, no steak Restaraunt should call itself a steak house without some bone-in steaks, particularly a ribeye.

Scott to be honest I wouldn't put Chops the last couple of times I went far above the Outback/Longhorn/Texas Roadhouse level.

First time or two we went it was not quite to the level of Bern's Steakhouse or Capital Grille (both here in Tampa) not sure if you know of either one but both excellent high end steakhouses.

We had signature cocktails made at our table, signature salad made at our table, waiter constantly checking on us (I think he had 2 or 3 tables max), lots of signature "touches" that made for an incredible dining experience for the extra $25 or so (several years ago).

The last couple of times everything has come out ready to serve, the menu has been slimmed down, the waiters are much less attentive, etc. and the price has gone up .. no longer competes with a top steakhouse in my book. Its better than an Outback but not by much and considering the $40 does not include alcohol at all, I can get a pretty darn good feed at Outback for $40 ;)

Again not saying its bad by any stretch but it isn't what it was.

If your standard is Bern's (and yes, I definitely know it, as I live in Orlando), it sounds to me like we have similar standards, and then it sounds to me like I'll find Chops to be less than I am hoping for, sadly. However, we just found out that friends of ours from the UK are joining us on our Navigator cruise in April of 2017. They like to blow it out, so I will get the chance then to try Chops, whether I want to or not. It'll be a sacrifice, but sometimes we must suffer for the team. ;)

The experience you describe from years past sounds like it would have been fabulous!