Stroller for a 3 and 5 yo, do I really need it?

SLJ

I know it really depends on the kids and their physical level, but I want to see if other parents can help me out here. I have a 3 and a 5 year-old who are not opposed to walking. We made them walk short trails with us. So my plan is to either bring one stroller for them to share, or bring none. I really want to avoid bringing one if possible. Since this is our first cruise, I don't know how much walking is involved. The excursions we booked involve us getting to a taxi and staying at a beach. Is it even reasonable to have them walk when we're onboard, given that there are plenty of places to sit down if they get tired. What would you guys recommend?

If you can get through the airport without a stroller, then I wouldn’t bring it.  The ships are big but not that big.  Storage is really tight in the rooms.  You won’t see kids those ages in a stroller on the ship,  babies and toddlers yes but not preschoolers.  If you do chose to bring one, don’t bring anything bigger than an umbrella stroller. 

19 minutes ago, melski94 said:

If you can get through the airport without a stroller, then I wouldn’t bring it.  The ships are big but not that big.  Storage is really tight in the rooms.  You won’t see kids those ages in a stroller on the ship,  babies and toddlers yes but not preschoolers.  If you do chose to bring one, don’t bring anything bigger than an umbrella stroller. 

I bought them each a kid's spinner luggage hoping they'd be too excited to push their new luggage around that they wouldn't mind walking through the airport. But my 3 yo still naps during the day so not sure if having a stroller would make that easier. Unless we all go back to the room for his nap.  

We brought an umbrella stroller that had recline for the exact reason that we thought our youngest might nap.  It is a Maclaren I think.  Folds up nice and small and weighs very little.  If you do bring it, the smaller the better given tight spaces on the ship (elevators, hallways).  Another bonus to the stroller is airport security always sends us through the family line and at times it has probably saved us 45 minutes to an hour not standing in line!  For these reasons I would suggest bringing it if it's small enough.

2 hours ago, SLJ said:

I bought them each a kid's spinner luggage hoping they'd be too excited to push their new luggage around that they wouldn't mind walking through the airport. But my 3 yo still naps during the day so not sure if having a stroller would make that easier. Unless we all go back to the room for his nap.  

Many people will have their younger child nap on a pool chair with a towel over them. Also, you can split up and one parent takes the 3yo for the nap and the 5yo gets special time.  

When our daughter was 3 on her first cruise with us we brought a compact fold up stroller.  We just gate checked it at the airport and it folded up fairly compactly in the cabin on the ship.   It came in pretty handy on the islands as a beach bag/child bag cart when we didn't need it for her.   The small wheels are completely useless to try to push through sand though.   As for the naps....we traded every day as to if myself or my wife would stay in the cabin with her for an hour or so in the afternoon.   By that point she only needed about that much time for a nap during the day.   

We took a Phil and Ted's E3 sport on a cruise, and it was a mistake because it did not fit through the stateroom door.  The following trip we used a small folding stroller, it was primarily for naps and it fit down the hall around the room steward's cart and past scooters with ease. The smaller stroller also fit through the security machine (not with the child in it!) 

39 minutes ago, klc317 said:

When our daughter was 3 on her first cruise with us we brought a compact fold up stroller.  We just gate checked it at the airport and it folded up fairly compactly in the cabin on the ship.   It came in pretty handy on the islands as a beach bag/child bag cart when we didn't need it for her.   The small wheels are completely useless to try to push through sand though.   As for the naps....we traded every day as to if myself or my wife would stay in the cabin with her for an hour or so in the afternoon.   By that point she only needed about that much time for a nap during the day.   

Would the umbrella stroller would under the bed?  Ours is the Summer Infant 3D Lite, which is still considered an umbrella I think.

2 hours ago, SLJ said:

Would the umbrella stroller would under the bed?  Ours is the Summer Infant 3D Lite, which is still considered an umbrella I think.

Honestly I'm not sure.  That was 3 years ago and we don't have it anymore.   Cant remember the brand.  It wasn't an umbrella type.