Labadee- Beach Bungalows

allisonroman1

Hello,

I am traveling on Harmony in April in a group of 11 (6 adults/5 older kids) and one of our ports is Labadee. I booked a beach bungalow (for up to 8 people) with the intent of the adults using it while the kids play in the water all day, as they typically do when we go on vacation.  The RCL representative who booked my bungalow assured me that the beach area near the bungalows is not private, so as long as the kids are not actually using the bungalow, they can pull up regular chairs near us and use the sand and beach near us. In addition, on the shore excursion description of the bungalows, it explicitly states that the Columbus Cove area, where the bungalows are, is not a private area. However, after reading reviews online, many people have mentioned that the bungalow area is roped off and one needs a wrist band to get in.  I couldn't find a review past 2017,  so I'm wondering if this is still true? Has anyone been there recently and can you confirm that the kids will be able to play in the same area as our bungalow? If they can't, I am thinking of cancelling the bungalow, but all of the beach loungers are sold out and we would really like shade for the adults. I've read (again, they are a little older) reviews that mention locals setting up umbrellas on the beach for around $20. Can anyone confirm this to be still true in 2019? Thanks for any and all input! 

Was just at the beach bungalow last week as well as twice last year.  I noticed on the excursion ticket is says it isn't private which was the first time I noticed it.  However, the attendants kicked off people who put their stuff on the bungalow side of the rope and told them to go to the other side of the rope.  I have pictures but no time to post right now.  I'll try to get them later.

42 minutes ago, Andrew72681 said:

One thing to think about is the beach beds on Labadee, that area isn’t private so the kids could pull up chairs and no one will give them any problems. We loved ours and had a great attendant. 

I was able to snag a beach bed in Labadee for my upcoming sailing as there were no bungalows or cabanas available.  Really looking forward to it more now!

18 minutes ago, jhatle01 said:

I was able to snag a beach bed in Labadee for my upcoming sailing as there were no bungalows or cabanas available.  Really looking forward to it more now!

Our one complaint was that it’s a long hike with beach bags in tow and on the way back a tired daughter. The shuttles appeared to be too infrequent and way too packed to be comfortable. 

That seems like a lot of people for a bungalow.  I rented one for 8 adults and 2 kids once (kids were 6 and 8), and the attendants didn't bother us, but it did seem a bit crowded.  Are there any more available?  The next time I went with that same group I reserved two bungalows and it was much better.  The attendants do a pretty good job of keeping people out of there if they don't have bracelets, so if you have people in the bungalows on either side of you, which you probably will, then it could get crowded if the kids are all hanging out directly in front of your bungalow.  If they stay down closer towards the water, then it might not be an issue.  Of course, for $10 or $20, the attendants will probably let you do just about whatever you want, as long as it isn't bothering other guests.  So you could always go that route if need be.  My first choice would be to get two of them though, the attendants would put you right next to each other.     

If you get off the ship early, you could try to grab the first bungalow on the border of the rope which divides the bungalow area from the public beach.  The kids could grab chairs on the public beach side near you.  Anyone can swim in the water.  I’m sure the attendants won’t mind the kids going back and forth especially if you are a decent tipper.  

Heres a picture of the rope that divides the bungalow area from the public beach.  In the background is bungalow 1.  It’s first come, first choice. 8996C371-667C-4DE4-B562-F2A6825BC47D.thumb.jpeg.db10d885bdb7ae291579c13ea502a4fe.jpeg

Here is a picture of the public beach from the same spot.  The loungers are free.  There are people to move them for a small tip. A438DE01-B0BC-4C1A-9948-181806A2D486.thumb.jpeg.11004018b63792f468a2da89be4b81a2.jpeg

Thank you all for all of the great suggestions!

Melski94, that's what we'll try to do. Great suggestion and thanks for the pictures of the rope next to the public part. I was having a hard time picturing the layout, but now it makes sense.  Honestly, the kids (aged 7-13) don't ever sit down anyway, so that's a perfect suggestion. 

• 3 weeks later...
Highlights
  • Full-day rental: Spend the day lounging in your own comfortable retreat with personalized service.
  • So much included: Enjoy two floating beach mats, a cooler stocked with water, beach towels and a Cabana Attendant on hand to bring you drinks.
  • Ideal location: Relax in beautiful, remote Columbus Cove; family fun is close by at Dragon’s Splash Water Slide and Arawak Aqua Park.

What to Bring

• SeaPass card and photo identification
  • Camera
  • Sun protection
  • Cash/credit cards
  • Insect repellent

What to Wear

• Swimsuit and cover-up or light clothing
  • Hat and sunglasses

Important Notes

• Pricing is per bungalow, not per person.
  • Transportation to and from Beach Bungalows is via Labadee tram or tender boat service to Nellies, with a short walk to Columbus Cove.
  • Complimentary buffet lunch available at Columbus Cove Café, Dragon’s Café or Café Labadee.
  • Rental of a Beach Bungalow does not include access to the Barefoot Beach Cabana Club
  • Avoid alcohol before water activities.
  • Guest must be 21 years old to consume alcohol.
  • Maximum eight guests per Beach Bungalow.
  • Guest should note this area is not private.

MY QUESTIONS:

1.  for transportation to and from Beach Bungalows...is it walkable the whole way? 

2.  how long of a walk to the buffet lunch places?

3.  our drink package works there?

4.  is there a map of this area somewhere that I've missed?

5.  are there "better" ones in terms of location?

1.  I have never walked it, but I think it would be a fairly long walk.  We have always used golf cart service, they can take about 6 people at once.  All you have to do it tip the driver.

2.  The buffet, bar and bathrooms are right there behind the bungalows, so less than a minute walk.

3.  Yes.  Tell the attendants you want drinks, and they will bring you drinks.  Tipping will speed that process up.

4.  Can't help you with this.  When you are looking out towards the water from your bungalow, the ship will be directly in front of you in the distance, and the aqua park will be to the right.

5.  There is no real better location, they are all right next to each other.  They will let you pick from whichever ones are available when you arrive, so if you are the first one there then you can pick any one you want.

53 minutes ago, JennyB said:MY QUESTIONS:

1.  for transportation to and from Beach Bungalows...is it walkable the whole way? 

2.  how long of a walk to the buffet lunch places?

3.  our drink package works there?

4.  is there a map of this area somewhere that I've missed?

5.  are there "better" ones in terms of location?

1.  We can walk it the whole way.  I've seen a water taxi that will take you from the pier to the water park area and then walk the rest of the way, however that wasn't available on my last cruise.  If we do walk, cut through Nellie's Beach towards the slide to avoid the market.  I find that the shuttles when you get off have a long wait and you still may have to walk through the market. 

2.  Buffet is really close.  We grab food and bring it back to the cabana.

3.  Yes, the attendants will bring you drinks.  We always tip them at the end.

4.  I feel that the Labadee map isn't the best.  You can google search it but I think it is more confusing.

5.  There are only 8.  Some people will want to be closer to the food and others closest to the water (which is very close to a wall so I don't like that one).  I really don't think there is any one that is significantly better than another.  We've been there 6th and still happy with the bungalow.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/25/2019 at 3:07 PM, Andrew72681 said:

Our one complaint was that it’s a long hike with beach bags in tow and on the way back a tired daughter. The shuttles appeared to be too infrequent and way too packed to be comfortable. 

One other note about Labadee: WATER SHOES ARE A MUST HAVE ITEM!  

We have done the beach bed in Labadee twice.  During the most recent trip in Dec 2018 our attendant called a golf cart to drive us back to the pier.  We did have my 82 y/o MIL with us, so that could be what inspired his generosity.  We did tip the attendant and the golf cart driver.