Disembarkation and TSA Precheck

34 minutes ago, DublinFC said:

I wanted to clarify something that I heard on a podcast.  Will having TSA Precheck clearance speed up the disembarkation process through customs for us?  I thought it only applied to air travel.  

My understanding is that port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale) has Global Entry, but that no cruise ports have TSA pre-check at this point. We have CLEAR and pre-check; the latter expires next year and I dread going through that process again (we need a half day off for it due to our location). This time we’re going to get global entry, it’s not even $20 more so it makes sense.

2 hours ago, 2Beeze said:

My understanding is that port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale) has Global Entry, but that no cruise ports have TSA pre-check at this point. We have CLEAR and pre-check; the latter expires next year and I dread going through that process again (we need a half day off for it due to our location). This time we’re going to get global entry, it’s not even $20 more so it makes sense.

Ok that's what I thought, maybe I heard it wrong.  I will check out these other options to speed up the process.  Thank you!

1 hour ago, NS8VN said:

No.  The port is controlled by CBP, not TSA.  Pre-Check applies to TSA security screenings at airports before travel, customs is a separate screening done after international travel.

Thanks for the clarification.  I knew something wasn't right so wanted to ask.

2 hours ago, 2Beeze said:

I just wish they’d add clear to more spots at FLL. Right now where southwest goes out of in terminal 1 you can’t use precheck if you use clear. Which seems to defeat the purpose, I’m looking to speed through, not wait longer and have to take off shoes and everything out of my bag. 

And on the global entry side, anyone who is thinking about precheck should go all the way to global entry. Think of it as three dollars a year that could save you nearly an hour sometimes. 

I agree with above that Global Entry helps with the airlines but doesn't apply to the port.  I do highly recommend downloading and using the mobile passport app.  Our last cruise on Allure as we disembarked there were basically 2 lines.  Those that had mobile pass got to shortcut to the front of the line while everyone else had to work through the regular emigration line.  

2 minutes ago, Razerbkfan said:

I agree with above that Global Entry helps with the airlines but doesn't apply to the port.  I do highly recommend downloading and using the mobile passport app.  Our last cruise on Allure as we disembarked there were basically 2 lines.  Those that had mobile pass got to shortcut to the front of the line while everyone else had to work through the regular emigration line.  

Hi @Razerbkfan, can you elaborate on the Global Entry and the mobile pass? This sounds good, but am not familiar with it.

Global Entry is a process that allows you to register with the TSA.  It was provide you precheck status automatically on all of your flights.  I think the cost is around $75 per person.  You must have a passport and there are only so many locations that you can go to.  For example there are only 2 in our state and you have to make an appointment, usually about 6 weeks out.  The application process is online but you have to complete at a registered site with an in person interview.  I think it is good for 5 years.  We think it's a benefit if you fly a couple of times a year.  Just getting to be in the precheck lines and not having to take your shoes off is worth it to us.

Mobile Passport is a phone app mananaged by US Customs.  You basically enter all of the information from your passport and answer the standard entry questions that immigration will ask you.  You also upload a phone of yourself.  You then show your phone along with your passport when your enter the port.  Our experience has been that you get to go to a fast line in the port if you have the app loaded.  Another benefit is you can load multiple people traveling with you.  So for my spouse and I we only need it on one phone.

Both have good websites that can answer your questions.

Hope this helps.

3 minutes ago, Razerbkfan said:

Global Entry is a process that allows you to register with the TSA.  It was provide you precheck status automatically on all of your flights.  I think the cost is around $75 per person.  You must have a passport and there are only so many locations that you can go to.  For example there are only 2 in our state and you have to make an appointment, usually about 6 weeks out.  The application process is online but you have to complete at a registered site with an in person interview.  I think it is good for 5 years.  We think it's a benefit if you fly a couple of times a year.  Just getting to be in the precheck lines and not having to take your shoes off is worth it to us.

Mobile Passport is a phone app mananaged by US Customs.  You basically enter all of the information from your passport and answer the standard entry questions that immigration will ask you.  You also upload a phone of yourself.  You then show your phone along with your passport when your enter the port.  Our experience has been that you get to go to a fast line in the port if you have the app loaded.  Another benefit is you can load multiple people traveling with you.  So for my spouse and I we only need it on one phone.

Hope this helps.

Fantastic! It does help and carpe diem! Thanks!!

16 minutes ago, Razerbkfan said:

The only port that uses the mobile passport app is Port Everglades right now; however, I used it when we landed in Atlanta from Punta Cana and bypassed a very long line and only waited less that 5 minutes vs over an hour in the other line.

26 minutes ago, Razerbkfan said:

Hope this helps.

To correct a little bit. Global entry is not through the TSA, it’s through customs and border patrol. It’s good for five years and also includes TSA precheck. And it is 99 dollars for the five year period. Precheck is only good for travel within or in some cases departing the US, while global entry as the name implies, is for when you are returning to the country. Also, with precheck at airports, children can come along in the line, but with global entry each member of the party regardless of age needs to have a global entry number. 

2 hours ago, Andrew72681 said:

Right now where southwest goes out of in terminal 1 you can’t use precheck if you use clear.

And on the global entry side, anyone who is thinking about precheck should go all the way to global entry. Think of it as three dollars a year that could save you nearly an hour sometimes. 

Wow.  I’ve never seen a CLEAR site where you couldn’t use PreCheck.  I agree....that’s the whole point !

Concur about Gobal Entry  if you’re going to go to the trouble of getting PreCheck you might as well go just a couple of bucks more and get Global Entry.  It’s certainly worth it and you CAN use GE at Port Everglades.  It’s a huge time saver but as far as I know PE is the only port that uses GE.  PoM claims to have I t but they never have the kiosk manned so for all practical purposes, it does not exist at PoM.

1 hour ago, Razerbkfan said:

I agree with above that Global Entry helps with the airlines but doesn't apply to the port.

Port Everglades does have a Global Entry kiosk.

3 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Wow.  I’ve never seen a CLEAR site where you couldn’t use PreCheck.  I agree....that’s the whole point !

Concur about Gobal Entry  if you’re going to go to the trouble of getting PreCheck you might as well go just a couple of bucks more and get Global Entry.  It’s certainly worth it and you CAN use GE at Port Everglades.  It’s a huge time saver but as far as I know PE is the only port that uses GE.  PoM claims to have I t but they never have the kiosk manned so for all practical purposes, it does not exist at PoM.

Port Everglades does have a Global Entry kiosk.

Norwegian has also said they’re adding it to their new terminal at Port Miami this fall, so hopefully it’ll spread across the other cruise lines. 

5 hours ago, Andrew72681 said:

I just wish they’d add clear to more spots at FLL. Right now where southwest goes out of in terminal 1 you can’t use precheck if you use clear. Which seems to defeat the purpose, I’m looking to speed through, not wait longer and have to take off shoes and everything out of my bag. 

It’s is $15 more currently for global, but when we first got pre-check was all quite new and we still had kids at home and less travel freedom, so....? But next time we have to redo we will add global. I am all about adding on whatever I can I had to make things as quick as possible!  When we got caught in the craziness that was gone Orlando airport in early Feb CLEAR cut off maybe an hour for us after standing in a mass of humans for 3.5. hours - you never know!

34 minutes ago, 2Beeze said:

It’s is $15 more currently for global, but when we first got pre-check was all quite new and we still had kids at home and less travel freedom, so....? But next time we have to redo we will add global. I am all about adding on whatever I can I had to make things as quick as possible!  When we got caught in the craziness that was gone Orlando airport in early Feb CLEAR cut off maybe an hour for us after standing in a mass of humans for 3.5. hours - you never know!

It used to drive me nuts when I’d travel with my family and have to go through the slow lanes. So even though my wife will only it 5 or 6 times a year, adding her as a clear family member was a must. 

I'm looking at the website now, but I'm not seeing anything mentioning kids and teenagers: https://www.dhs.gov/trusted-traveler-programs#panel-cards

I see this on If you are under the age of 18, you must have your parent or legal guardian's consent to participate in the program.  https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/eligibility

So, son is 14, sounds like he needs to go through the process, too?

We signed up our son at 14 the same time we did ours. We did a Europe trip that summer which made the Global portion well worth it over the regular precheck.

Process was the same for him as it was for us, we schedule all our interviews at the same time/place and they were very "gentle" with their questions.

1 hour ago, jticarruthers said:

We signed up our son at 14 the same time we did ours. We did a Europe trip that summer which made the Global portion well worth it over the regular precheck.

Process was the same for him as it was for us, we schedule all our interviews at the same time/place and they were very "gentle" with their questions.

What sort of questions do they ask? I'm a boring person, my entire family is, but am interested. . . or is that one of those "if I tell you, I'll have to ... you"? I would think a legitimate answer to the question of why do you want this GE is "I really don't want to take time to wait in lines." Is that too flippant? 

23 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

What sort of questions do they ask? I'm a boring person, my entire family is, but am interested. . . or is that one of those "if I tell you, I'll have to ... you? I would think a legitimate answer to the question of why do you want this GE is "I really don't want to take time to wait in lines." Is that to flippant? 

It’s mostly things like

have you ever been arrested?

Is___ your current address?

is ____ your name

they already know all the answers, so just answer truthfully and you won’t have any problems. Also, be sure to lotion up your hands for the few days prior if you have dry skin. My mother is on blood thinners, so fingerprints are always a problem. If you know it already will be they sell a product called Cornhuskers lotion that helps a lot of people  

26 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

What sort of questions do they ask? I'm a boring person, my entire family is, but am interested. . . or is that one of those "if I tell you, I'll have to ... you? I would think a legitimate answer to the question of why do you want this GE is "I really don't want to take time to wait in lines." Is that to flippant? 

Also, for anyone thinking it’s time for a new credit card and also thinking about global entry, consider one of the cards that covers your global entry expense. The Amex platinum for example pay for one global entry membership every five years. 

8 hours ago, Andrew72681 said:

Also, be sure to lotion up your hands for the few days prior if you have dry skin. My mother is on blood thinners, so fingerprints are always a problem. If you know it already will be they sell a product called Cornhuskers lotion that helps a lot of people  

Mine were done electronically - does that make a difference (regarding dryness?),

Just had our Global Entry interview, last Thursday.  Made two appointments for DW and I and they took us at the same time, the questions were very benign.  Casual questions we weren't put under bright lights :5_smiley:.  Just answer honestly as was said before they already know the answers.  We were told to expect an email in 2 weeks and the cards should be received in 4 weeks.  In addition to fingerprints they will snap a picture.  We were not asked why we wanted it but my honest answer would have been "so I don't have to take my shoes and belt off".

I have Pre-check and I would have Global Entry if I didn't have to drive 2 hours each way to get it.  I do wish there were more locations available,

On my last cruise, which was Harmony in January, there was no line for the mobile app, which I also have.  I am guessing it's because we were off the ship right after 6:30AM and were not with tons of people.  

I am hoping that in June on Allure it will be close to the same thing as once again, I have an early flight.

55 minutes ago, Katiel53 said:

I have Pre-check and I would have Global Entry if I didn't have to drive 2 hours each way to get it.  I do wish there were more locations available,

On my last cruise, which was Harmony in January, there was no line for the mobile app, which I also have.  I am guessing it's because we were off the ship right after 6:30AM and were not with tons of people.  

I am hoping that in June on Allure it will be close to the same thing as once again, I have an early flight.

One thing to kee in mind is that most major airports offer “on-arrival” global entry where you can complete your in person appointment when you fly back into the country. 

1 hour ago, Andrew72681 said:

One thing to kee in mind is that most major airports offer “on-arrival” global entry where you can complete your in person appointment when you fly back into the country. 

I haven't heard of this before.  That's pretty cool !  

We are lucky.  Our CBP location for GE is at Dulles Airport which is only a 20 min drive for us.  I do feel for those people who do not an office nearby.

On 3/27/2019 at 7:22 PM, Andrew72681 said:

Thanks for the info, but I won't be flying back into the country until my family goes to England and Scotland a year from this summer.  I may have to see if I can talk my family into taking a trip to get the Global Entry between now and then.

Global Entry is well worth the few extra $. And any travel you may have to do to obtain it  is so worth it. The pay off to not have to wait in long lines is worth any trouble in obtaining G E.      And yes corn huskers works for me when I have to be finger printed.  I learned that many years ago.  Their is nothing like starting or ending a trip and not having to wait in long lines.