Costa Maya Beach Excursions

MeaganA

Hi Cruisers!

We are sailing on April 1st! We are wanting to do a beach day that is not far from the port and that make have massages on the beach. I have looked at Blue Reef but not sure if there is a better option. 

Has any one done any that are really great and did you book through the boat or on your own?

TIA!

I do not know Blue Reef so I cannot provide an opinion but I have been to Costa Maya a number of times. It is one of my favorite ports of call.  I think you are talking about going to Mahaual, which is the small coastal town near the port.  If so, I do recommend going there. It is very nice.

One thing you should be aware of - there are lots of roving peddlers who wander about selling their trinkets.  They are not aggressive but they are persistent. Just politely tell them “no thank you” and they will move on but there will be another behind them. 

If you are interested in the massage on the beach, I will give you 1 piece of advice.  Do NOT let anyone “help” you find a massage.  That will double the price and the “finder” will keep half.  It is very easy to find the masseuses. They are everywhere along the beach. Just go up to one of them and negotiate a price yourself.   Back in the day they were $20 for an hour.  I’m sure the price has gone up since then but start out at $20 and see what you can negotiate. It is money well spent.  

We usually go to the Krazy Lobster but I’m sure Blue Reef is similar.  Expect to pay $1 for a Corona.  

April 1, huh? Must be on IOS. Same here. We're planning to hang out at Blue Kay. We have 2 kids and don't want the obligation to stay all day at an all inclusive. We'll stay at Blue Kay as long as everyone is having fun, then head back to the ship. 

May see you in a little over a week!

2 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I do not know Blue Reef so I cannot provide an opinion but I have been to Costa Maya a number of times. It is one of my favorite ports of call.  I think you are talking about going to Mahaual, which is the small coastal town near the port.  If so, I do recommend going there. It is very nice.

One thing you should be aware of - there are lots of roving peddlers who wander about selling their trinkets.  They are not aggressive but they are persistent. Just politely tell them “no thank you” and they will move on but there will be another behind them. 

If you are interested in the massage on the beach, I will give you 1 piece of advice.  Do NOT let anyone “help” you find a massage.  That will double the price and the “finder” will keep half.  It is very easy to find the masseuses. They are everywhere along the beach. Just go up to one of them and negotiate a price yourself.   Back in the day they were $20 for an hour.  I’m sure the price has gone up since then but start out at $20 and see what you can negotiate. It is money well spent.  

We usually go to the Krazy Lobster but I’m sure Blue Reef is similar.  Expect to pay $1 for a Corona.  

I second that. My Wife and I had a really nice day at Krazy Lobster last december. On top of that, massage is only 20$. You need to go outside of the port (taxis are outside) and ask the dispatcher for Krazy lobster (cost is 3$ each). Enjoy.

2 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Great tips! How far away is the Krazy Lobster? 

26 minutes ago, VolFanInGa said:

April 1, huh? Must be on IOS. Same here. We're planning to hang out at Blue Kay. We have 2 kids and don't want the obligation to stay all day at an all inclusive. We'll stay at Blue Kay as long as everyone is having fun, then head back to the ship. 

May see you in a little over a week!

Yes!! We will have our two teenage daughters with us! 

Btw I’m in Georgia as well. Northeast. 

9 minutes ago, hey! said:

My husband and I are gonna be in Costa Maya in September and we booked Maya Chan beach! They had great reviews on trip advisor and transportation is included to and from the ship which I love!

You will not be disappointed , we went there around December and enjoy it very much  , only issue , might be the sea weeds but the service , the food and facilities are very good .

12 hours ago, MeaganA said:

Yes!! We will have our two teenage daughters with us! 

Btw I’m in Georgia as well. Northeast. 

Toccoa area? We are in West Georgia.  When We go to Costa Maya we usually get out to the countryside - I know that’s not what you’re wanting to do, but if you happen to see any of that honey pineapple and that ground, dried jalapeño with salt baggies, please mail me some!

12 hours ago, MeaganA said:

How far away is the Krazy Lobster? 

It is maybe a 5 minute ride by either taxi or shuttle.  It's far enough away that you cannot walk but close enough that it is not a big deal.  The shuttle runs only 1 way....for reasons  unknown.  You can catch the shuttle over but have to get a taxi back.  It makes for a very inexpensive day but you do have to contend with the peddlers which can be a nuisance.

12 hours ago, 2Beeze said:

Toccoa area? We are in West Georgia.  When We go to Costa Maya we usually get out to the countryside - I know that’s not what you’re wanting to do, but if you happen to see any of that honey pineapple and that ground, dried jalapeño with salt baggies, please mail me some!

We actually live in Toccoa ?

9 hours ago, MeaganA said:

We actually live in Toccoa ?

My father was born in Toccoa and I still have a number of cousins there. He was President of Truett-McConnell College toward the end of his life and very much enjoyed being back near home in the beautiful Georgia mountains ? Hopefully we will cruise with you and @VolFanInGa some day ☀️??

When we were there for the first time ever last year we chose Maya Chan.   It was great!   A couple from the states own/operate it and it is very nice.   They have free drinks all day, chairs and umbrellas, ocean kayaks, make a delicious taco bar type lunch, very friendly/family type atmosphere.    One of the best places for an all day type relaxing place we have found.    They have a few friendly dogs and cats there too which is nice if you are missing your 4 legged friends back home.  We are going to Costa Maya again next year and will definitely try to go back for our day there.   Unfortunately last year the area was dealing with an unusually high amount of sea grass coming in from the ocean and piling up on the beach areas and such so swimming wasn't much fun but that was no ones fault.    They do offer transportation included and the driver at the time of picking us up informed us of the sea grass issue and was offering to refund our cost if we didn't want to go because of the mess.   I'm glad we still went, had a great time!   We booked it on our own and they made sure to have us back to the ship in ample time before departure.  I have some pictures if anyone would like to see but I'm sure if you look it up theres plenty there.    They have showers and changing areas, a place to get a massage if you wish.    

When you first arrive and are presented with the entry/port area it can look a little intimidating as if you're going to be swamped with pushy local vendors but it isn't bad at all.

We did Maya Chan beach. I had a massage, it was okay. The food there is fantastic. Traditional, homemade tacos with all kinds of toppings and sides. I still dream of that food. Like others said, the water and beach were a little mucky and full of sea weed. They work very hard to clean it, and the provide all kinds of floaty chairs and kayaks to make up for it. Staff and grounds: A+. Just not that picturesque turquoise beach day. ? Hope that’s helpful. 

We were in Costa Maya a few weeks ago.  The port area there is really nice....Pools, restaurants, shops....Really can easily kill the day just hanging there.

However, we took a taxi into town and went to the Krazy Lobster.  Had a nice table on the beach and got service all day.  Probably spent $50-$60 total....Good day.  And the beach there was nice.

We had debated Maya Chan but didn't do that as we had seen some questionable reviews on the beach itself.  If I'm doing a beach day somewhere I want a nice, clear, clear, blue beach.