Thankfully not a Royal ship, but this sounds bad

Saw some Facebook posts from people with family on there. Apparently it is starting to take on water and many, many people are still on board. Helicopters can only carry 20 at a time with hundreds of passengers still on the ship!

Sad, hope everybody makes it out alright

With some propulsion restored they were likely able to maintain a heading to aid the helicopter evac as the engine room continued the fight to maintain and possibly restore more power plus keep the pumps running.  

Helicopter evacs would be tough with the deck of the ship moving so much, very slow going.  

Looks like it's being towed to a port now with roughly 1/2 the passengers still on board.  

Towing a ship in rough seas can be problematic.  Lines can snap if the forces present in the right way.  Now under tow the speed profile on marinetraffic.com does indicate she's been moving steadily now for a couple of hours:

869905524_Skyspeedprofile.jpeg.3013e7433fa0cb6f898372e64dfd04a6.jpeg

Update:

Evacuation of passengers has ended as cruise ship travels to port The evacuation of passengers from a cruise ship off the western coast of Norway has come to an end as the vessel safely makes its way to Molde harbor, Viking Ocean Cruises said in a statement. Rescue teams airlifted 479 people from the vessel after it was stranded in stormy seas Saturday with 1,300 passengers and crew on board. The Viking Sky cruise ship, which regained engine power on Sunday morning, is traveling to Molde accompanied by two supply ships and one tug assist vessel. There are 436 guests and 458 crew still remaining on the ship. Twenty people sustained injuries on the vessel, which was being tossed about by wind and waves, Viking Ocean Cruises said. All are being treated at medical facilities in Norway, or have already been discharged. "Throughout all of this, our first priority was for the safety and well-being of our passengers and our crew," Viking Ocean Cruises said in a statement, thanking Norwegian emergency services and local residents for their support. The next sailing, which was scheduled to embark on March 27, has been canceled.

On 3/24/2019 at 12:28 PM, SpeedNoodles said:

Anyone else sick to death of people sending articles about this to them, apparently as some sort of warning as to why you should not cruise, or are my friends just jerks?

I'm petrified to fly.  Between all the plane troubles lately and now this I too have some friends who are jerks as well, lovable, but jerks! 

On 3/24/2019 at 12:28 PM, SpeedNoodles said:

Anyone else sick to death of people sending articles about this to them, apparently as some sort of warning as to why you should not cruise, or are my friends just jerks?

Absolutely, let just say that I have my addiction and there is absolutely nothing that they can send me to make me change my mind.  (Within reason of course.....)  But just  because of one accident or incident or the few things that happen per year it is not enough for me to change my mind.  There are FAR more accidents on the streets per day than incidents at sea, and I do not see too many people sending articles out about how horrendous it is for people to drive on streets or highways.  

20 minutes ago, bhageerah said:

Absolutely, let just say that I have my addiction and there is absolutely nothing that they can send me to make me change my mind.  (Within reason of course.....)  But just  because of one accident or incident or the few things that happen per year it is not enough for me to change my mind.  There are FAR more accidents on the streets per day than incidents at sea, and I do not see too many people sending articles out about how horrendous it is for people to drive on streets or highways.  

I'm going to start doing just that the next time someone annoys me like this.  

First of all thank goodness everyone is fine.  That’s part of what we should focus on.  Unfortunate as it was for those who went through it, but at the end of the day everyone’s safety prevailed.  What could have happened is irrelevant.   

Again and again I read about crew who responded and took care of passengers.  To that end, SOLAS training and preparation worked.     

The positive side of this unfortunate incident is that all cruise lines will have an opportunity to learn from this.  My understanding is that low oil  warnings played a role.  Now marine engine manufacturers and the crews maintaining ships can add this to their playbooks, learn and prepare.  

The most ideal outcome would have been to avoid it to begin with.  Royal Caribbean has a full time Chief Meteorologist working for them, watching for potential events like this.   His insight provides Royal bridge crews with invaluable data to make informed decisions.  

Im surprised more cruise lines don’t follow Royal’s lead to have a similar resource in house and available to all the ships in the fleet.