Spring Break

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 8:37 PM, SpeedNoodles said:

I'm not all that familiar with this phenomenon, and I know it varies by school, but in general do I need to avoid all of March and April to avoid spring breakers on cruises? Or is it just March?  I made the mistake of going to the Mall of America today (normally I avoid this anyway, but I needed to go to the Apple Store) and it was PACKED.  That's unusual for a weekday except during Christmas, so I asked someone if today was some holiday that I was unaware of, and he just looked at me with dead eyes and uttered "Spring Break".

You can go online and see all the colleges when their spring breaks are.   You DON'T want to cruise or vacation during spring break.  https://www.cvspringbreak.com/when-is-spring-break-2019  found the website for you.  Take a look before you book anything.

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 8:37 PM, SpeedNoodles said:

I'm not all that familiar with this phenomenon, and I know it varies by school, but in general do I need to avoid all of March and April to avoid spring breakers on cruises? Or is it just March?  I made the mistake of going to the Mall of America today (normally I avoid this anyway, but I needed to go to the Apple Store) and it was PACKED.  That's unusual for a weekday except during Christmas, so I asked someone if today was some holiday that I was unaware of, and he just looked at me with dead eyes and uttered "Spring Break".

https://www.cvspringbreak.com/when-is-spring-break-2019

4 minutes ago, Lovetocruise said:

You can go online and see all the colleges when their spring breaks are.   You DON'T want to cruise or vacation during spring break.  https://www.cvspringbreak.com/when-is-spring-break-2019  found the website for you.  Take a look before you book anything.

Ah, shoot - a portion of them do have theirs during the week of Feb 20 (although mostly smaller ones).  I am a bit concerned about the Royal Military College of Canada, though.  I've heard they are karazy!!!   

On 3/26/2019 at 4:43 AM, kontraxed said:

I remember taking a cruise out of New York City quite a few years back. I thought I was pretty smart trying to find a cruise that didn't coincide with a bunch of student holidays. We got on the ship and it was packed with Canadian kids on their school holidays. I guess I wasn't so smart!

Nothing worse than Canadian kids.  Just ask @Lovetocruise2002 since she teaches them ?

On 3/23/2019 at 4:56 PM, AGSLC5 said:

The Whole North East including New York and New Jersey have off that week.. Just a friendly warning because of this we have a HUGE influx of tourists and Hotels raise the prices in Ft. Lauderdale and Miami to extremely high rates that week. So if you can book now and try to find a deal. 

Not all of NJ, my kids have never been off a week in February, only get the Monday.  However they are off a week in November which Disney refers to as Jersey Week because half the state (at least it seems) flocks there.  I made sure to book our upcoming cruise AFTER that week on purpose:)

I think you have some great advice @SpeedNoodles.  College spring break is usually the first week or two of March at least in Florida.  Schools further north probably have later spring break.  The central Florida public school counties have theirs spread out some but the one with the most kids off (Orange county where Orlando is located)  is the third week of March.  I find that the college spring breakers tend to stick to the shorter less expensive cruises because they need money to pay for their drink packages or just can't afford a week long cruise. BTW, I will be in your part of the world over 4th of July.  I am traveling to MN for a grandmother's 100th birthday celebration. 

5 hours ago, Jedi Jason said:

I think you have some great advice @SpeedNoodles.  College spring break is usually the first week or two of March at least in Florida.  Schools further north probably have later spring break.  The central Florida public school counties have theirs spread out some but the one with the most kids off (Orange county where Orlando is located)  is the third week of March.  I find that the college spring breakers tend to stick to the shorter less expensive cruises because they need money to pay for their drink packages or just can't afford a week long cruise. BTW, I will be in your part of the world over 4th of July.  I am traveling to MN for a grandmother's 100th birthday celebration. 

Enjoy your trip here!