Royal Up Bid

SLJ

Debating doing Royal Up myself.  Going on honeymoon cruise in Feb on Symphony and only reason considering is to get a either a ocean view balcony or JS.  Currently staying in cabin neighborhood balcony cabin 1239.  We chose that room because A) balcony and B) to people watch and see the water show at times from our room.  Would the gamble be worth it?

5 hours ago, mworkman said:

Well we’ve managed to get our standard congratulation rejection email ? now we will wait for the second one in 7 days for the next cruise ?‍♂️

Awwwww, bummer! I actually had a bid on a GS for my Feb Symphony sailing.  I withdrew it when I realized that our current cabin number matched MrSpeedNoodle's birthday, and, considering last time he went the wrong cabin and tried to get in for several minutes, I thought this was just way too handy to risk giving up.

Just now, WAAAYTOOO said:

Rejection mails usually arrive the night before sailing.

Thanks for the prompt reply. It's what I was expecting. I had been looking at 3rd party booking sites for my sailing on the Brilliance and it looks like all the Junior Suites are booked up. Which is what I bid for.

Just made a bid for my upcoming Anthem cruise.   Never done Royal Up before and this is only my second cruise.   I'm in a solo occupancy balcony cabin, and have put in a bid for a ocean view balcony.   If I get it great, if not I'm still happy with my original room.  My travel agent usually gets my luggage tags printed off for me,  I was just wondering if I don't find out until just before the cruise, while I'm staying over at hotel pre-cruise, will my check in information be ok?   I've already done online check in and If I find out just before I might not have any way of going back online to re print anything at that point.

• 3 weeks later...

Had done a bid in December for our upcoming Feb 15th cruise on Symphony for JS/Owners/GS 1 & 2BD - just got notice today our JS bid was accepted. This is our first cruise and the bid effectively only saved about $1k over booking 1-2 years out, but hey - savings is savings!

Few interesting things.. I was looking about 10 minutes before I got the email to see what suites (if any) were available, and the only one on the RC site was the one I was upgraded to. Surprising! They did have a Star Loft and Aqua Suit still available previously before, but they're now gone too. I'm assuming a few of us did the upgrade shuffle..

29 minutes ago, saytheb said:

Had done a bid in December for our upcoming Feb 15th cruise on Symphony for JS/Owners/GS 1 & 2BD - just got notice today our JS bid was accepted. This is our first cruise and the bid effectively only saved about $1k over booking 1-2 years out, but hey - savings is savings!

Few interesting things.. I was looking about 10 minutes before I got the email to see what suites (if any) were available, and the only one on the RC site was the one I was upgraded to. Surprising! They did have a Star Loft and Aqua Suit still available previously before, but they're now gone too. I'm assuming a few of us did the upgrade shuffle..

Congrats on the upgrade...i've yet to score one...i'm 10 for 10 in the rejection department. ?‍♂️

Just now, Va4fam said:

@SpeedNoodles....here's some advice you don't need.   What would it hurt to put in a bid?    Most likely it's rejected, no harm done there.   Or it's accepted and you get a nicer cabin.  #winning

I thought of this too and may do this in a future sailing.  My concern is that for our upcoming sailing my wife and I picked the room and wouldn't want to be in a lower floor etc.  But will be #yoloroyalbid at s future date.

23 hours ago, ajmp5 said:

How can you check about aqua suiet and the like?

I went back and did a fake booking to see what might have been available to purchase, but those rooms weren't available for me to actually bid up to (sadly..). The bid page will only show what rooms you're eligible to bid for, so it's pre-filtered.

22 hours ago, ajmp5 said:

I thought of this too and may do this in a future sailing.  My concern is that for our upcoming sailing my wife and I picked the room and wouldn't want to be in a lower floor etc.  But will be #yoloroyalbid at s future date.

I was a bit concerned about this, so honestly I just looked at any possible location we may have got a room and decided if I would be OK with absolutely all of them. In the end I decided I was, so it was an easy pick.

That said, having won this bid and mentally realizing I still would have preferred to stay with my original room over what the JS offers me (not much!) I do wish I removed my offer for a JS when i first considered it.. Oh well.

On 6/17/2019 at 4:04 PM, JennyB said:

We are currently booked in 2 balcony cabins. If I submit a bit for a Grand Suite-2 bedroom AND win...what is the penalty for cancelling the two cabins we have now?  I'm nervous to bid, in case we win and then don't know what kind of penalty we might incur for the new 2-bedroom suite...

Similar situation, we have 2 connecting cabins (1 adult and 1 kid in each room). If we somehow get one room upgraded to GS 2bdrm, will they let the other 2 people stay in the GS? I don't mind keeping the second cabin but no one would actually sleep there.

40 minutes ago, amshah97 said:

Similar situation, we have 2 connecting cabins (1 adult and 1 kid in each room). If we somehow get one room upgraded to GS 2bdrm, will they let the other 2 people stay in the GS? I don't mind keeping the second cabin but no one would actually sleep there.

Sure.  They do not police who is sleeping where....but just realize that those who are from the second room would not be eligible for the suite benefits.

• 2 weeks later...

We bid the max bid on a junior suite and 1 bedroom grande suite about a month ago and have been frequently checking status (which said pending all this time). We log in today and are unable to and are bids are GONE and status has changed to “not eligible for upgrade”. Has this happened to anyone? We spent about an hour on the phone with Royal Caribbean trying to figure out why, what happened, some sort of explanation but were very unsuccessful. They know absolutely nothing. This is our wedding/honeymoon cruise. All of our guests bookings were eligible as well and their status of their bids all still say pending ? its just ours that has disappeared and we can’t get it back. Help!!

5 hours ago, Krystin said:

We bid the max bid on a junior suite and 1 bedroom grande suite about a month ago and have been frequently checking status (which said pending all this time). We log in today and are unable to and are bids are GONE and status has changed to “not eligible for upgrade”. Has this happened to anyone? We spent about an hour on the phone with Royal Caribbean trying to figure out why, what happened, some sort of explanation but were very unsuccessful. They know absolutely nothing. This is our wedding/honeymoon cruise. All of our guests bookings were eligible as well and their status of their bids all still say pending ? its just ours that has disappeared and we can’t get it back. Help!!

Royal Up is managed by a separate company, so calling Royal Caribbean probably won't generate an answer (at least, not a correct one). Did you ask if there were rooms available to upgrade to, and what the price would be? Directly, not through Royal Up. There have been other reports of being able to upgrade as inventory is made available for less than the price of bidding. When is your cruise?

PS: Congratulations on the pending wedding and honeymoon!

1 hour ago, SnickerTail said:

Royal Up is managed by a separate company, so calling Royal Caribbean probably won't generate an answer (at least, not a correct one). Did you ask if there were rooms available to upgrade to, and what the price would be? Directly, not through Royal Up. There have been other reports of being able to upgrade as inventory is made available for less than the price of bidding. When is your cruise?

PS: Congratulations on the pending wedding and honeymoon!

I asked our travel agent but she was unable to see any rooms for upgrade as they were all taken down or made unavailable at this time due to the RoyalUp process? She didn’t have access to anything to be able to give us any direct upgrade. Maybe I’ll call RC directly and see if they can do anything of the sort. It’s harmony of the Seas cruise that sails next month. And thank you! 

22 minutes ago, Krystin said:

I asked our travel agent but she was unable to see any rooms for upgrade as they were all taken down or made unavailable at this time due to the RoyalUp process? She didn’t have access to anything to be able to give us any direct upgrade. Maybe I’ll call RC directly and see if they can do anything of the sort. It’s harmony of the Seas cruise that sails next month. And thank you! 

I think Royal won't be able to help, as you booked through a TA. Just keep making her check, on our sailing (April) cabins have recently opened up, for whatever reason. 

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Lynne said:

Is your Royal Up bid (if accepted) per person per day?

Per Royal Caribbean's Royal Up site, "Your bid is priced per person and based on two guests per stateroom for the entire length of your cruise. So you only get charged for the first and second guests." Basically your bid X2, one time charge if accepted. 

I've heard via Facebook that people are getting Royal Up invites for the cruise I'm on in April 30th, what is the criteria for getting such emails? I've been on the Royal Up web page but it says I cant bid until 30 days before embarkation.

1st time with RC

1 hour ago, DaiC01 said:

I've heard via Facebook that people are getting Royal Up invites for the cruise I'm on in April 30th, what is the criteria for getting such emails? I've been on the Royal Up web page but it says I cant bid until 30 days before embarkation.

1st time with RC

Not every one receives the RoyalUp offers.  There’s no way to “get invited”.  I have read of others being permitted to bid by using the website you referenced, but personally, I don’t believe it.  IMO, unless you get the email invitation, or at least, unless they INTENDED that you get the email invitation, you will not be able to bid.

5 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Not every one receives the RoyalUp offers.  There’s no way to “get invited”.  I have read of others being permitted to bid by using the website you referenced, but personally, I don’t believe it.  IMO, unless you get the email invitation, or at least, unless they INTENDED that you get the email invitation, you will not be able to bid.

On the UK site we have this..I never get emails on the royal up but my wife does..? 

030838A2-EC76-4058-82F6-C5C971F4C8FF.png

Bid Royal Up Sunday from an Ocean View (got the last one) to a Balcony at the minimum  price on a sold out cruise March 22. Added a bid for a Spacious Balcony this morning for the minimum when I saw they dropped to the same price as the regular Balcony. Received the Spacious Balcony upgrade email 30 minutes later. Guess they were going to upgrade me and I hit the additional bid at just the right time. Also the sold out cruise went to only sold out for Suites. Must be the Corona Virus causing folks to cancel out. May be an empty ship for us.

2 hours ago, CrznTxn said:

Bid Royal Up Sunday from an Ocean View (got the last one) to a Balcony at the minimum  price on a sold out cruise March 22. Added a bid for a Spacious Balcony this morning for the minimum when I saw they dropped to the same price as the regular Balcony. Received the Spacious Balcony upgrade email 30 minutes later. Guess they were going to upgrade me and I hit the additional bid at just the right time. Also the sold out cruise went to only sold out for Suites. Must be the Corona Virus causing folks to cancel out. May be an empty ship for us.

I imagine it might also be people looking to book.. It seems people can "lock up" rooms pretty easily through the booking sites (including RC directly) just by navigating to the room selection and/or beyond. I've done this a few times to myself.. chose a room in one window, went to see reviews, get distracted for a few minutes, do a new search in different window and the room is gone only to reappear 10-15 minutes later. ?

On 3/3/2020 at 8:16 AM, DaiC01 said:

Thanks yes I tried that web page but keep getting "only available 30 days prior to embarkation" massage,

Interestingly, I didn't get an RoyalUp invite, but on a whim, I decided to try the web site -- not to bid, but to see if it worked. I'm 70 days out, and it takes me to the bid screen.

On my December 2020 cruise, I get the "only available 30 days prior" message; that one's not paid in full yet.

I doubt I'll end up bidding -- partially on advice from Matt in one of his videos that popped up as a result when I was googling "RoyalUp". When dealing with categories like ocean view or ocean view balcony, I think I'd almost rather pay whatever the upgrade price is and be certain where my cabin is. I was looking around at current availability for my May cruise on Grandeur, and with the current pricing, a minimum bid on an ocean-view cabin is basically the same as I'd pay for a straight-up upgrade -- and the bid is considered "weak" by the algorithm. Plus, if I won the bid, I wouldn't have any say over my cabin location -- and with what's available, that's a risk I'm not gonna take.

Also, there can be a bit of sticker shock. As a solo cruiser, I had to remember that bids were per person based on double occupancy. So let's just say I definitely won't be bidding on a balcony. ??

Balcony was the highest category I could submit a bid for.