Ovation Front Viewing Area

DERPDR

We enjoy standing outside at the front of the ship while sailing but I can't see that Ovation has an area like this.  On Allure we could access the area above the Bridge and was one of our favorite spots.  It looks like maybe there is an area outside the Solarium on Ovation, over the Bridge wing but I can't tell if it is accessible.  Does anyone have an answer to this?

Thanks bunches
Patty & Darrell

@twangster shared a link to a periscope from the Ovation on another thread.  As the video went past that area of the Solarium, there appeared to be some guests standing in that area.  It does appear to be accessible based on that video.  Hopefully he add that item, or if I can find it i I’ll copy the link here.

ETA - link - https://www.pscp.tv/w/1BRJjXPMbjdKw?t=15m28s

Thanks to twangster for posting the link earlier and to Cindy for sharing.  The bridge wing is visible about 10:36.

Quantum class has two bridge wings, one starboard and one port accessed from the Solarium.  They are small and will fill up quickly arriving in a port or other scenic area.

The Solarium itself is two level and the lower level has great views looking forward.  

This is Anthem but same idea on Ovation:

jMPYGit.jpg

This level of the Solarium is on deck 13 and there are doors into the cabin hallways for deck 13 forward that would make this area accessible.  It's also the level that has access to the outdoor bridge wings much like Harmony or Symphony.

100625291_OVdeck13.jpeg.5c4c4fcfe95a03e3ae0b540ad63bc919.jpeg

There is no helipad on Quantum class.  There is a "winch pad" but it is not open to the public.  

If folks are thinking about Alaska and particularly visiting glaciers here are some thoughts about Ovation.

The natural tendency is think that being forward is the best place to see a glacier.  That's only partially correct.

Forward may be the best place to see the approach to the glacier but for viewing the glacier the sides of the ship are where its at since the Captain will turn the ship.  

Here is approaching Hubbard Glacier from Radiance last year:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/9160-not-so-live-blog-radiance-of-the-seas-alaska-southbound-83118/&do=findComment&comment=83677

For our approach to the Glacier the helipad is okay but higher up produced better overall view.  Down low you miss the effect of the mountains and shear size of the glacier.  

Here is approaching Dawes Glacier from Explorer last year:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/6634-explorer-alaska-62218-7-nights-rclblog-group-cruise/&do=findComment&comment=73654

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/6634-explorer-alaska-62218-7-nights-rclblog-group-cruise/&do=findComment&comment=73667

In both cases my best pictures and video came from the upper decks, outside, midship.  Sure approaching the glacier is cool and being forward is the place to take that in, but once at the glacier the sides of the ship are where it's at.  Having been to see them I probably won't put a lot of emphasis on being forward to catch the approach.  I expect the Solarium and bridge wings will be crazy packed.

The sides of the ship are where I plan to accomplish the best viewing of the glaciers.  

1 hour ago, twangster said:

If folks are thinking about Alaska and particularly visiting glaciers here are some thoughts about Ovation.

The natural tendency is think that being forward is the best place to see a glacier.  That's only partially correct.

Forward may be the best place to see the approach to the glacier but for viewing the glacier the sides of the ship are where its at since the Captain will turn the ship.  

Here is approaching Hubbard Glacier from Radiance last year:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/9160-not-so-live-blog-radiance-of-the-seas-alaska-southbound-83118/&do=findComment&comment=83677

For our approach to the Glacier the helipad is okay but higher up produced better overall view.  Down low you miss the effect of the mountains and shear size of the glacier.  

Here is approaching Dawes Glacier from Explorer last year:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/6634-explorer-alaska-62218-7-nights-rclblog-group-cruise/&do=findComment&comment=73654

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/6634-explorer-alaska-62218-7-nights-rclblog-group-cruise/&do=findComment&comment=73667

In both cases my best pictures and video came from the upper decks, outside, midship.  Sure approaching the glacier is cool and being forward is the place to take that in, but once at the glacier the sides of the ship are where it's at.  Having been to see them I probably won't put a lot of emphasis on being forward to catch the approach.  I expect the Solarium and bridge wings will be crazy packed.

The sides of the ship are where I plan to accomplish the best viewing of the glaciers.  

@twangster  Great information, thank you so much!  We are booked for Alaska in a balcony cabin so will I'm sure be utilizing that space for viewing the glaciers.  Not to say we won't check out views from other areas as well but my main focus on the forward viewing area (as those above the bridge wings) is just because we like being out there while sailing.  Can get windy and chilly at times but we like it.   

Thanks to all!  I'm happy now. ?

@twangster  So just now finally had a chance to go through your photos and video. WOW!  So beautiful I can’t wait for August to get here!   You are so right and has been my experience as well trying to capture the beauty of Mother Nature, there’s nothing that compare to seeing it in person.  As gorgeous as your pictures are I know we are in for a real treat.  

Thanks for taking the time to post these!  

Thanks for the info, @twangster!  We're booked in a cabin on deck 13 around mid-ship for our Alaskan Ovation cruise.  I"m thinking our balcony will be a great place to take in the Dawes glacier.  I know it likely varies, but do you recall how many revolutions the captain did at the Dawes Glacier?

*sigh*  All of this scenery is going to cut into my bar time! ?

41 minutes ago, firebuck said:

Thanks for the info, @twangster!  We're booked in a cabin on deck 13 around mid-ship for our Alaskan Ovation cruise.  I"m thinking our balcony will be a great place to take in the Dawes glacier.  I know it likely varies, but do you recall how many revolutions the captain did at the Dawes Glacier?

One thing I've learned is that each Captain does it differently.  Perhaps the ice conditions play a factor, time of year, pilot on board, winds, etc.  

The turn is kind of slow.  You definitely know you are turning but it's not a whirlwind either.  I'm thinking 2 1/2 turns at Dawes.  

I'll have a balcony on May 13 (Ovation) but I'll likely spend time on deck 15 simply because you can take it all in.  The glacier is awesome but seeing the ship in such close proximity to walls of Endicott Arm is equally impressive and not something you may appreciate from a balcony.  I encourage you to split your time.  Some on your balcony but pop upstairs to see it all from another perspective.

Two years ago on Celebrity I left my GoPro on my balcony running a time lapse at Hubbard.  You can see the turn readily in that video within this post:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/5211-alaska-recap-celebrity-millennium-june-2017/&do=findComment&comment=51836

41 minutes ago, firebuck said:

I hear you but Alaska is not the place to plop down in a bar and sit for a few hours.  Get a drink to go and enjoy it outside.  Pop back in to warm up and refill before repeating.  

6 minutes ago, twangster said:

One thing I've learned is that each Captain does it differently.  Perhaps the ice conditions play a factor, time of year, pilot on board, winds, etc.  

The turn is kind of slow.  You definitely know you are turning but it's not a whirlwind either.  I'm thinking 2 1/2 turns at Dawes.  

I'll have a balcony on May 13 (Ovation) but I'll likely spend time on deck 15 simply because you can take it all in.  The glacier is awesome but seeing the ship in such close proximity to walls of Endicott Arm is equally impressive and not something you may appreciate from a balcony.  I encourage you to split your time.  Some on your balcony but pop upstairs to see it all from another perspective.

Two years ago on Celebrity I left my GoPro on my balcony running a time lapse at Hubbard.  You can see the turn readily in that video within this post:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/5211-alaska-recap-celebrity-millennium-june-2017/&do=findComment&comment=51836

I hear you but Alaska is not the place to plop down in a bar and sit for a few hours.  Get a drink to go and enjoy it outside.  Pop back in to warm up and refill before repeating.  

As always, solid advice!!  Looking forward to seeing yours and other's experiences on Ovation as mine comes at the end of the season!  

1 hour ago, firebuck said:

My husband is just BUMMED that the line no longer allows you to buy bottles of liquor and drink it in your room (we were able to do this on our last cruise ... but that was about 2004, I think).  He just wants to sit on his balcony, sip on drinks, and watch Alaska go by.

1 minute ago, SpeedNoodles said:

My husband is just BUMMED that the line no longer allows you to buy bottles of liquor and drink it in your room (we were able to do this on our last cruise ... but that was about 2004, I think).  He just wants to sit on his balcony, sip on drinks, and watch Alaska go by.

That is a bummer, indeed!  Now I'm thinking I should have booked a cabin on deck 6 aft so that I can run down to Cafe Two70 easier - I see a lot of Royal Delight coffees in my future on that cruise ?

@twangster you mention deck 15 for viewing and wanted to get your thoughts on why there versus going up to deck 16.  Many of the areas on 16 would be inside but that is the highest point on the Quantuum class.  Do you think there are advantages to spots on 15, are there too many obstructions with being inside and/or the items that are on 16.

3 hours ago, ScooterScott22 said:

@twangster you mention deck 15 for viewing and wanted to get your thoughts on why there versus going up to deck 16.  Many of the areas on 16 would be inside but that is the highest point on the Quantuum class.  Do you think there are advantages to spots on 15, are there too many obstructions with being inside and/or the items that are on 16.

Deck 15 has the expanse of the railing areas along the jogging track.  As the ship turns it's easy to move from side to side on this more open deck. 

Deck 16 has smaller outdoor areas that are harder to move around and that don't reach the sides of the ship.

May 13 will be the first Quantum class visit to see glaciers (or Alaska), ever.  Unlike other ships in Alaska, Quantum class has large glass dividers in place of railings along much of the jogging track.  It will be interesting to see where the best viewing areas turn out to be.  

It is hard to predict how much ice will have cleared out of the waterways so I'm a little uncertain what such an early cruise will bear.  My earliest Alaskan cruise is three weeks later.  

You also need a plan B in case of inclement weather.  There are windows that slide open on the pool deck and on the sides of the Solarium.  Those might be a solid choice to avoid a cold rain but still have the ability to slide the window open briefly for a photo and to hear the glacier moan and crack.  However one side of the covered pool deck is smoking.  

Other indoor areas like areas of the second floor of the SeaPlex have large windows but you won't be able to hear anything.  

1 hour ago, twangster said:

May 13 will be the first Quantum class visit to see glaciers (or Alaska), ever.  Unlike other ships in Alaska, Quantum class has large glass dividers in place of railings along much of the jogging track.  It will be interesting to see where the best viewing areas turn out to be.  

It is hard to predict how much ice will have cleared out of the waterways so I'm a little uncertain what such an early cruise will bear.  My earliest Alaskan cruise is three weeks later.  

You also need a plan B in case of inclement weather.  There are windows that slide open on the pool deck and on the sides of the Solarium.  Those might be a solid choice to avoid a cold rain but still have the ability to slide the window open briefly for a photo and to hear the glacier moan and crack.  However one side of the covered pool deck is smoking.  

Other indoor areas like areas of the second floor of the SeaPlex have large windows but you won't be able to hear anything.  

Plan B sounds like a good idea but I have to tell you I’ve waited a long time for an Alaska cruise so right now my plan B is a warm rain coat.  Lol.  

Good ideas as always Twangster so thanks!