The Key on Navigator - option for Chops or Jamies?

cbnsoul

Not sure if this is better posted on the Dining board but since it’s more The Key related, Inthought I’d post it here.

We are going on the Navigator in July and are going back and forth about getting The Key.  I thought I’d seen somewhere that at least on some ships they were offering The Key embarkation lunch at Chops or Jamie’s but I’m not sure if that is true.  We’d prefer to go to Jamie’s for lunch and go to Chops at dinner so having the option would be nice.

I'm going to tag on to this thread because I have some questions about The Key, also on Navigator in July.

We are taking our 16yo DS and his best friend who will also be 16.  We made our reservation through Next Cruise in December.  They put my hubby and I in one room and the boys in an adjoining room...

If we are interested in The Key, do we all 4 have to purchase it?  Or can just my hubby and I? 

I've read lots of threads regarding The Key and don't seem to recall the answer to this. 

1 hour ago, cbnsoul said:

Not sure if this is better posted on the Dining board but since it’s more The Key related, Inthought I’d post it here.

We are going on the Navigator in July and are going back and forth about getting The Key.  I thought I’d seen somewhere that at least on some ships they were offering The Key embarkation lunch at Chops or Jamie’s but I’m not sure if that is true.  We’d prefer to go to Jamie’s for lunch and go to Chops at dinner so having the option would be nice.

I think it's entirely ship-dependent at this point.  When we were on the Anthem a few weeks back on a B2B, one week the Key only went to Chops but on the second leg of the B2B they had the option to eat at either Chops or Jamie's.  So....there is really no way to know at this point.  According to some accounts that I have read, some ships were offering to let Key people go to Jamie's after the line got super long to get into Chops.  Now, whether or not they were always planning on offering Jamie's as an option, who knows.  I suspect....but it only speculation....that they will be offering either restaurant. The Key seems to be a pretty popular option and I think Royal will take full advantage of it, so I'm thinking that they will expand this program to include both restaurants.  Nothing but pure speculation on my part.

1 hour ago, JennyB said:

I'm going to tag on to this thread because I have some questions about The Key, also on Navigator in July.

We are taking our 16yo DS and his best friend who will also be 16.  We made our reservation through Next Cruise in December.  They put my hubby and I in one room and the boys in an adjoining room...

If we are interested in The Key, do we all 4 have to purchase it?  Or can just my hubby and I? 

I've read lots of threads regarding The Key and don't seem to recall the answer to this. 

The official rules say that everyone in the room who is 6 years of age or more must purchase the Key....so, both of you would be required to purchase it.  If you want the boys to be with you through check-in and be able to eat lunch with you in the specialty restaurant, then they would both have to purchase it as well.

1 hour ago, RTripp said:

Hi, I am researching The Key as well, our HOTS June 2019 cruise has the lunch “choice” as either Jamie’s or Chops 

. FYI The 24.99 that you must buy for each member of your party, includes VOOM ( but not stream if it matters to you?).

Quick note, the Voom internet that you get per person that purchased the Key is actually the streaming version of Voom. 

875828145_CruisePlannerInternetMore.png.490e768c2564a84d4e4d68571beb08c5.png

@JennyB not dumb at all! Overall speeds vary by ship (with fastest speeds generally being on the newer ships), but the Voom Surf is a throttled connection to the internet by which I mean that it’s the same connection as the Surf and Stream, but they slow down your speeds. I’ve been told it’s enough to text through apps like Whatsapp or FB messenger and also to use WiFi calling. It will load webpages, just much slower and trying to stream on the connection will result in a lot of buffering just like what happens when you have a weak WiFi or cellular data signal on land. And the Surf and Stream is the unthrottled but pricier version. Which Voom is better for you is a personal question, but there is a really good article on the Internet here: 

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2017/02/07/guide-royal-caribbean-voom-wifi-internet-prices-and-tips