Phone or camera?

JerseyJoe

I bring my cell phone and keep it in a waterproof hard case designed for boating when I'm not using it.  Just throw that in my bag with my towel, change of clothes or whatever else I'm schlepping around for the day.  I've never been in a situation where I felt uncomfortable with leaving my bag and walking away, but if I did I would just grab the case and take it with me.  What I use is similar to this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Scuba-Choice-Diving-Dive-Waterproof-Orange-Dry-Box-Case-Container-w-Lanyard/112240182

I take my undercover camera case (Samsonite backpack with padded insert) with all my gear.    But it's only undercover until I take a camera out.  Yes it's heavy, but missing a shot after paying for a cruise and an excursion is something I did once and learned my lesson. There is also a cellphone for quick snaps. 

Not a big user of beaches on cruises, but a gallon Ziploc bag is big enough for a full frame body and 24-70 lens or a 70-200 midrange zoom without a body to keep out sand and water if the backpack gets damp.   

Definitely not fancy, but it's worked well throughout the Philippines and on US/European cruises. 

My approach varies by excursion. 

I have a Sony RX100 that still takes RAW captures and has a great zoom range.  It fits in my pocket and is very discrete.  If it was stolen that would suck but it's not a $4k loss like my bigger and better camera and it doesn't draw attention to me.

If there is water involved I usually just go with my phone and/or GoPro but find them so limiting.  That's worst case scenario for me.  

I will likely soon buy an underwater enclosure for my RX100 to take snorkeling and scuba diving.  With that I could take it to the beach and swim or lounge on a raft with it.  

We plan to bring our Samsung WB1100 camera with us, although it's kind of bulky it takes much better pictures than our phones.   Curacao is just so beautiful I know I would regret not taking it afterwards.  I will probably bring it along on our Aruba Trikes excursion too because we will have a trunk to carry things, I don't plan on taking it to the beaches.  

We're also bringing my son's Go Pro  - it's an older model but I'm just learning how to use it.  I want to take that on all excursions for sure.  I already purchased the underwater filters (very inexpensive on Amazon) & the floating hand grip.  I plan to test it out in the water over the summer so I know what I'm doing come November.  Luckily since it's very small we can take it into the water whenever we want.  

I'm still a bit torn on how to secure our stuff, my current thought process is to use a a zip tie to attach my small backpack to a beach chair & just use nail clippers to cut it off at the end of the day.  Not perfect, but easy enough to stop the grab & go type of thief.  

I've used my iPhone (a 6s Plus) along with some lens attachments from Moment, and I've gotten what I consider some better than halfway decent photos. But I recently came into ownership of the same Sony RX100 that @twangster has, and after playing around with that some; having more than 2x the pixels on a big sensor, with real aperture and shutter control, makes an unbelievable difference even for such a "low end" camera. I'm going to be spending a lot more time shooting with that my next cruise.

Not yet ready to shoot RAW, I need to learn better post technique in Pixelmator around that first; I haven't yet been happy with the results I create vs what the camera figures out in JPEG mode. But it will definitely let me step up my photography game and the desire for a phone with the best camera possible has gone down a lot.

On 3/21/2019 at 12:17 PM, AshleyDillo said:

I bring my cell phone and keep it in a waterproof hard case designed for boating when I'm not using it.  Just throw that in my bag with my towel, change of clothes or whatever else I'm schlepping around for the day.  I've never been in a situation where I felt uncomfortable with leaving my bag and walking away, but if I did I would just grab the case and take it with me.  What I use is similar to this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Scuba-Choice-Diving-Dive-Waterproof-Orange-Dry-Box-Case-Container-w-Lanyard/112240182

Does this float? 

7 hours ago, KJ1231 said:

Check the app store for your phone. There are some pretty sophisticated apps out there that give you additional functionality with your phone. ProCam is one for the iPhone

You are my new favorite person for pointing this out! For some reason it never occurred to me to look for a camera upgrade app. 

16 hours ago, KJ1231 said:

Check the app store for your phone. There are some pretty sophisticated apps out there that give you additional functionality with your phone. ProCam is one for the iPhone

9 hours ago, spiralqueen said:

You are my new favorite person for pointing this out! For some reason it never occurred to me to look for a camera upgrade app. 

If you are interested in app options, two others I can recommend are Halide and Spectre, both made by the same company. Halide gives you full manual controls for aperture, focus, ISO, etc. through a gesture-driven interface, shoots in RAW format or regular JPEG, and has been designed to work with both older model phones and the latest ones with AI-enhanced computational photography systems.

Spectre is designed for low-light and slow shutter shots; it does it via multiple exposures (really a modified burst mode shot), which lets it pull off some neat tricks like automatically removing people walking through the shot as the multiple frames are merged, creating ND filter-like effects with waterfalls or fog, and handling normal camera shake when doing hand-held long exposures.