Viability of Corpus Christi

will certainly get in trouble if my wife reads this since she lived in Corpus for awhile but i don't see a strong viability for Port A or Corpus being a port stop for a ship.  Corpus costal area is pretty dilapidated and maybe a few close by attractions of interest being the Texas Aquarium (meh) and the USS Lexington which is super cool but other than that, cruisers would need to go further in land for most anything else.   We love visiting but given other US port options, i don't see either of these as being competitive or enticing enough for more than a one-and-done type stop.   Just my opinion. 

1 minute ago, Todd W said:

will certainly get in trouble if my wife reads this since she lived in Corpus for awhile but i don't see a strong viability for Port A or Corpus being a port stop for a ship.  Corpus costal area is pretty dilapidated and maybe a few close by attractions of interest being the Texas Aquarium (meh) and the USS Lexington which is super cool but other than that, cruisers would need to go further in land for most anything else.   We love visiting but given other US port options, i don't see either of these as being competitive or enticing enough for more than a one-and-done type stop.   Just my opinion. 

I agree, being from Texas we all love heading to the beach for a few days but with that we bring coolers and coolers of beer, tents, beach chairs, beach grills etc.  The texas beaches have absolutely nothing that would be of value to 4000 people getting off a cruise ship.  There are no beachfront eateries, no beachfront bars (yes they are down the road but cruisers do not have vehicles).

I just don’t see it. I live in Houston and have been to Corpus. Their beaches are nicer than Galveston but that’s not saying much. They have very mediocre hotels. Nothing 4 or 5 star that most tourist spots have. If they build a cruise port and get  ships to come there I’ll be surprised but I would support them if I’m wrong 

Corpus doesn't strike me as a viable option for a cruise ship port for all the above reasons and then some. As a native Texan, I have been in and around the area many times. The beaches are nasty compared to Mississippi, Alabama and Florida beaches. There are a few good restaurants, but not many. Same with hotels. The airport is adequate for a non-hub regional airport, but not for high-volume type cruise ship traffic. There are only six gates and just a few airlines using it, so there would have to be some major up-grading.

It's not a bad city, just not a cruise ship city, IMO

We currently live in Corpus Christi and would LOVE to have a cruise port here.  But I agree with all the reasons above as to why Corpus has a long way to go before that can become more than a dream.  The mind set of many people who live here and of many who visit has to change and it is slowly happening as people from other parts of the country move here.  Things are changing here but slowly. 

Before I first read/shared the article, I never thought of CC as being a cruise outpost; so, I found the title of the article captivating.

After reading it, I reach the conclusion obviously, they desire to cash in on that source of revenue; but, need to find out how valid it would be for the "city/county" to invest huge amount into developing, over some number of time, in attracting cruiselines into considering CC as one of their excursion outpost.

I'm sure looking at CC now at face value leaves many questioning why would a cruiseline even look at CC, yet alone, consider it as one of their destinations. The city appear to be the ones considering the validity of making investment, what the aporoach & blueprint would be, what infrastructure need improving, & relationship with many entities(like the airport as mention) in helping to attract lines to consider them as an outpost.

I'm sure what they got in mind would look good & attractive; but, the cost/reward has to be studied...which all I think is just happening. It may happen, it may happen many, many years from now, or it may not happen at all. Good to know the city is at least thinking about its future opportunity.