First Time Cruiser - Security/What to Bring to the Beach

Emma Landry

Hi everyone!

I am sailing on Symphony April 6th (Roatan, Puerto Costa Maya, Cozumel, Nassau) and it is my first cruise. I'm a bit confused in terms of what identification/currency I should bring off the ship at the ports of call. 

Will I need identification when I am off the ship in order to get back on, or just my sea pass?
If I do need further identification can it be my drivers license or will I need to bring my passport? 
Am I able to leave my ID/Passport in my bag on the beach while I swim? Will I need to have some sort of waterproof pack on me at all times to keep my ID/Passport on my person? 
Will I need my credit card? or should a bit of cash suffice? 

Thanks in advance! 

Hey, Emma.  Welcome to the boards and to cruising !  Both are GREAT !

Whether or not you need identification (in addition to your seapass card) is a function of the port.  Some require personal ID and some do not.  We always take our driver's licenses with us off the ship just in case.

Whether or not to take your passport off the ship with you is an area of great discussion and disagreement...although it is always FRIENDLY disagreement.  We never EVER take our passports off the ship...but many take them EVERY time.  It's a personal preference.  

Security of your items (on the beach or wherever you are going) is always a serious concern.  We never go into the ocean or pool at the same time for this reason, when we are off the ship. I will stay and be "gear watch" while Dan swims and he does the same for me.  It's just an unfortunate fact of trying to secure personal items in an unsecured environment.  Some places will have lockers that you can rent but we rarely do that - only a few times like when we go on an ATV excursion or something like that.

On 3/21/2019 at 9:13 AM, WAAAYTOOO said:

We never go into the ocean or pool at the same time for this reason, when we are off the ship. I will stay and be "gear watch" while Dan swims and he does the same for me. 

This is the same way we do it, that way there is no speculation.

We take our DL and leave the passport in the room safe.

1 credit card and some cash.

Your cruise compass will outline what is absolutely required for you to take as far as ID in each port (read them the night before so you are prepared). Aside from one of the private islands, I'd never leave the ship without some form of ID, required or not (think if an accident happened and you were not able to identify yourself verbally - your SeaPass card would only be somewhat identifying).