Black Friday sales....what can I expect?

rtread

I've got a growing list of planned  purchases for a Christmas cruise. I've read numerous comments here on Black Friday purchases. My plan has been to spread these out over the months to lessen the impact on the budget. But I'm beginning to think a wiser plan would be purchase them on Black Friday. These include drinks packages, internet, All Access ship's tour. shore excursions, The Key, and whatever else jumps up. Is this wise, risky, what?

I just canceled the Voom Surf/Stream package and re-booked cheaper for our October sailing on Vision.   Did the same a week or so ago for the All-Access Tour.

We approach it this way...We book packages/excursions/etc when we see a price we are comfortable with.  If the price drops, yay, but otherwise, we are still happy with what we paid.

I'm one of those people who like to check things a lot, so I look (at least) weekly.

I totally get the budgeting thing though.  We are close enough to retirement that we are really watching what we spend.

1 hour ago, rtread said:

I've got a growing list of planned  purchases for a Christmas cruise. I've read numerous comments here on Black Friday purchases. My plan has been to spread these out over the months to lessen the impact on the budget. But I'm beginning to think a wiser plan would be purchase them on Black Friday. These include drinks packages, internet, All Access ship's tour. shore excursions, The Key, and whatever else jumps up. Is this wise, risky, what?

If u buy key there's no need to buy internet too.

In my case, I found the cheapest prices on the cruise planner for 2 of my cruises in October.  Black Friday was the same if not slightly more for those cruises.  In fact the drink package for my current cruise held the same all last year and dropped a few weeks before sailing.   I suggest you look at prices and if you see a decent price buy it and if it drops you can cancel and rebook it.  You should see if your cruise has a Facebook page as people are usually good about informing the group about sales.  

We booked our August cruise last year in October or so, so we geared up for Black Friday. I bought Voom, the non-alcoholic drink package, and all day Coco Cay water park tickets. I still check every sale, and the price for Voom & drinks has never gone lower (although sometimes gets equaled), but the Coco Cay pass was $4 cheaper per person on the last sale. 

I think if I were you, I'd go ahead and spread them out as other sales come along, and if Black Friday beats your prices, you can cancel and rebook at the lower price.

21 hours ago, rtread said:

shore excursion

If something like cabanas, bungalows or beach beds are in your purview, I would not wait until Black Friday if you are sailing a few weeks later on a Christmas cruise.  The cabanas, bungalows, and beach beds are limited in number.   Waiting for them. is like the key, you could find them booked out.  As others have stated you can always rebook, but at least you have it.  

I would think that Memorial Day, 4th of July, or Labor Day you will see good sales.

I would book the beverage package when you see it drop to the 25-30% off on board.   IE right now it is running on my cruise 25% off, we got it for 30% on Black Friday, however, if they raise the cost, 25% off now might be cheaper than 30% off come November.  To me they just keep creeping up with time.  

I also agree with melski94.  Go onto FB.  They typically will not only have a FB page for each ship, but also another group for the week you are sailing.

This is also true of the dining packages, if you are interested in that.  Once they hit the max number (however many that is....no idea) they take the dining packages off the cruise planner.  So if you really, really want a dining package, I recommend buying it at whatever price you are comfortable with, knowing that you can reprice it if the price goes down but knowing that you have it in case they sell out.

14 minutes ago, oufpat said:

I am new to sailing with RCCC, if I book a tour/package during a sale, do I prepay for it then, or when we actually use it on the cruise?

When you book it, yes you are prepaying for it now.

My understanding is,almost everything bought on the cruise planner ahead a time can be cancelled.  So if you see something you like, at a good price, but it.