Deluxe Drink Package

Hello Fellow Cruisers.  Right now I see the Deluxe Drink Package at $49 each (buy one, get one half price).    We are going on an 8 day cruise end of May.  Adding in the service charge of approximately $140 comes to $925 for 2 people.  Did anyone see it or get it cheaper than that THIS YEAR?  I'm ready to purchase, but not sure if I should wait.

Thanks and happy cruising! 

My Easter cruise on Adventure has it at $44.  That is about as low as it goes now a days.  If you do buy and see it go lower you can cancel and re-buy directly in the cruise planner, you don't have to call anyone.  $49 isn't terrible.  

Definitely get it now - if it's still running $49 this close to your cruise, it's likely you won't see it drop much more.  Also, to mirror what everyone is saying, you can cancel and repurchase but keep in mind that the refund isn't instant - you'll need to float that money on a card for up to a week or so before the original purchase is refunded to the card that you purchased with.

The only instant refund comes when you cancel a purchase that you've made with Onboard Credit available in your account.

8 minutes ago, Svlaming said:

Do all packages have a service charge with them??? My travel agent didn't mention this

Yes.  All drink packages will charge you an automatic 18% "gratuity".  You cannot get out of paying this charge.  If you wait and purchase drinks individually onboard, you will be charged a mandatory 18% gratuity at that time.  No getting around it.

Not so with dining packages.  As of now, they still are not adding a mandatory gratuity but you WILL pay a gratuity on specialty dining if you wait until you get onboard to purchase your specialty dining meals.

5 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

All dining and beverage packages do a have service charge.  18%.

Not dining - at least for the moment.  I wouldn't be surprised if they start adding an automatic gratuity on pre-purchased dining packages but as of right now....you can still purchase dining packages without paying the gratuity.

3 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Not dining - at least for the moment.  I wouldn't be surprised if they start adding an automatic gratuity on pre-purchased dining packages but as of right now....you can still purchase dining packages without paying the gratuity.

Oh really?  Good to know.  In that case, it makes way more sense to pre-purchase the dining package since they charge you the gratuities if you purchase on board right?

Yes you can cancel and rebuy if the price goes down as long as you charged it.  Be aware if you use your "Royal Caribbean Credit Card points" they are NON-REFUNDABLE if you cancel your purchase.  So be careful with that theory if the price does down.   Whatever you purchase with them you will lose them if you decide differently.  I just cashed in 20,000 points and was informed of this.  Now I'm not sure about the ship board credit RC gives you for booking, it probably runs the same way, so be informed and ask questions BEFORE you cancel anything with purchased with points.  Might bite you in the end.      

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2019 at 2:55 PM, JohnK6404 said:

Agree... get it now (we are on Allure at the end of this May)... we originally purchased at your price ($49)... I recently cancelled and repurchased at current "sale" price of $46 (30% off)... hoping it goes down a couple of dollars more (wishful thinking maybe)!

image.png.d6d3037463bdf85839601376b7e8be70.png

Do they refund your service charge?

3 minutes ago, jamie forbes said:

but how it is half price and still that high? you do the math, 49 x 8 x2 equals 784 so would it be 98 dollars off each one? so wouldn't final  price be 588 plus taxes

If you read on the web page the $49 already includes the discount, so there will not be any additional discounts applied at check out.

The buy one get 50% offer uses the onboard ship price as it's basis, not the last sale price you may have seen a week or more ago.

The last sale price may have been 30% off ship onboard pricing.  It's human nature to want the BOGO offer to apply to that sale 30% off sale price, but it doesn't work that way.  The new sale is based on ship onboard pricing just like the last sale was and just like the next sale, if there is one, will.    

Wondering if I'm ever going to get offered the 30% off discount for my June cruise. It's pretty much bounced between 20% and 25% off(buy 1 get 1 half) since I booked it a year ago, never seen it go lower

Been trying to hold out for that slight drop before I purchase. I understand it is relatively easy to cancel and rebook, but I'd rather not have to even bother going through the trouble if I can help it.

Finally saw this sale be effective for my Grandeur sailing.  Its only $3 a day difference though from the package I got that included Voom, so while the waiting was worth it, I dont think its enough worth it to rebook both.  I'm happy at my 52 for the deluxe drink package and 12 for 2 voom users vs 49 for the DDP and 20 for voom for 2 or drop to voom for one user at 14.  

A dollar savings per day to me, to lose one of the vooms, just not worth it to me.  Even though I likely wont use both, its nice to have in case my hub wants to use my phone while I use my tablet or something like that

21 hours ago, nanowerx said:

Been trying to hold out for that slight drop before I purchase. I understand it is relatively easy to cancel and rebook, but I'd rather not have to even bother going through the trouble if I can help it.

Just so you know, the danger you run by not booking is sometimes the price goes up.

Regardless, the price online is always cheaper than onboard.

21 hours ago, jamie forbes said:

so that means the normal price was 73.50?

29 minutes ago, marti314 said:

There is no "Normal" Price, they just make up prices and discount from there.  Retail is very similar, mark it up to mark it down, people love sales!

Exactly.  There is no fixed price.  All sales are relative to onboard pricing however onboard pricing varies by ship and sail date.

Consider a ship that alternates 5 and 9 night sailings.  The price for the deluxe drink package on that ship for the 5 night sailing is higher compared to the same ship a week later doing the 9 night sailing. 

A ship that offers 3 night sailings will have a higher deluxe drink package price compared to a ship offering a 7 night cruise. 

A ship operating a holiday cruise will offer the deluxe drink package at a higher price for the very same itinerary two weeks later that is not a holiday cruise.

There is no "standard" price for the deluxe drink package.  

The biggest source of confusion for people often comes from seeing a sale price advertised such as $52.  They think this is the "standard" or regular price.  It isn't.  That is a sale price.  A few weeks later a new sale is introduced and people assume the new discount should be calculated from the last sale price they saw.  It isn't.  All sale prices are relative to onboard pricing, not the last sale or promo price.  

10 hours ago, twangster said:

A ship operating a holiday cruise will offer the deluxe drink package at a higher price for the very same itinerary two weeks later that is not a holiday cruise.

I have to agree with all your points but one.  I find the beverage packages higher on holiday sailings because they are so popular.

On 3/20/2019 at 2:13 PM, JBC said:

My Easter cruise on Adventure has it at $44.  That is about as low as it goes now a days.  If you do buy and see it go lower you can cancel and re-buy directly in the cruise planner, you don't have to call anyone.  $49 isn't terrible.  

I assume your on the April 21st sailing?? WE are on the April 13th sailing and lowest our price has gone to is $46. I check the Cruise Planner daily...LOL. So if your on my sailing ...RCL is playing games!!