First cruise need excursion advice

DaArsonist

Hello,

first time cruiser heading in liberty of the seas in August out of Galveston, heading to Cozumel, Jamaica, and Grand Cayman. As far as excursions does anyone have any recommendations for someone taking an infant. I would guess the only real options or beach days which I am totally fine with. Is it better to book excursions beforehand through cruise planner, wait for the ship, use a third party website like shoreexcursioneer.com, or wait for port and get local vendors. Also for transport with an infant, would we need to take a car seat?? What options are maybe walkable. Thanks for any input things are a little overwhelming. My parents, brother, niece, nephew and my wife will all be on the cruise so will have help for my little one.

thanks for any replies

Each port has some unique things but doing those with an infant might not be possible.  Visiting cichen itza Mayan ruins in Mexico would involve a lot of time on a bus but would be possible.  There are lot of resort for a day options in Cozumel that are all inclusive and affordable (around $55).  For an a la carte option try Paradise Beach.  Many of them have been reviewed on the blog.  Grand Cayman is most famous for the stingray city interaction but for something infant friendly there are tours of other things like turtle farm, gardens, trip to Hell etc.  In Jamaica the most popular thing is climbing Dunn's River falls but it is not infant friendly.  The resorts for a day are more expensive here so a city tour or something else might be an option.  Unfortunately the ship docks in Falmouth which doesn't have much to do nearby and most of the attractions are in Ocho Rios or Montego which are in opposite directions.   I hope this helps some.  I tried to give you a couple of options even if not infant friendly in case your family was feeling like helping you out and watching your young child while you went on an excursion assuming you are ok with that.  Enjoy the cruise.

I would not wait to get to town and book an unknown tour with an infant.  At the very least go to trip advisor where you can find many reviews of tours and private drivers and their cars.   I like a private tour especially with kids as you can change it if you need to because of them.  

Cozumel go to a beach resort.  I suggest Mr Sanchos especially if going with your nephew who may enjoy the beach inflatables.  You can do this on your own but the taxis may or may not have seat belts. 

Jamaica you may want to keep it a ship day.  Most excursions are not infant friendly. 

Grand Cayman is a tender port and typically a beach day.  

On 3/21/2019 at 10:24 AM, melski94 said:

I would not wait to get to town and book an unknown tour with an infant.  At the very least go to trip advisor where you can find many reviews of tours and private drivers and their cars.   I like a private tour especially with kids as you can change it if you need to because of them.  

Cozumel go to a beach resort.  I suggest Mr Sanchos especially if going with your nephew who may enjoy the beach inflatables.  You can do this on your own but the taxis may or may not have seat belts. 

Jamaica you may want to keep it a ship day.  Most excursions are not infant friendly. 

Grand Cayman is a tender port and typically a beach day.  

Thanks for the replies, I am going to look at Mr Sanchos and also Club Mia for Cozumel.

Does Jamaica have any beaches close by that will rent loungers, might just have my parents stay on ship with my LO and we do a snorkling excusrsion if there is not much to do in Falmouth

For Gran Cayman really just want to spend time on 7 Mile Beach so hoping there is a place to rent loungers and get some drinks.

21 hours ago, MikeK said:

If you have never been to the Caribbean  or Florida you need to be prepared for the sun.  It is a different sun.  It can fry an infant very quickly.  Bring plenty of infant sunscreen!

We’re from The very south of Texas so the the heat and sun don’t bother us too much but we will for sure have plenty of sun screen. I’ve been to st Maarten, Aruba, and Nassau but never been on a cruise or any of the poets on this trip. Really excited and nervous at the same time as it will be the first trip with my LO

22 minutes ago, DaArsonist said:

We’re from The very south of Texas so the the heat and sun don’t bother us too much but we will for sure have plenty of sun screen. I’ve been to st Maarten, Aruba, and Nassau but never been on a cruise or any of the poets on this trip. Really excited and nervous at the same time as it will be the first trip with my LO

Sorry !  Didn't mean to sound like I was lecturing.  Growing up in Fl my whole life I have seen too many tourist trying to get that instant tan that look like human lobsters.  Relax and have a good time.  Remember your on vacation so don't stress out by trying to do too much.