Transferring cruise to travel agent OBC

Hello,

I have read people booking a cruise onboard and then transferring their reservation to their travel agent to get OBC. How much OBC credit do you normally get? I booked 3 cabins with the recommended travel agent on this board and received $50 each cabin. That was nice, but there are other travel agents giving much better offers to book with them. If it is $50 then it is not work the hassle of booking onboard and taking time away from the vacation. Thanks in advance for the comments.

Welcome to the message boards!

The definitive answer is... it depends.

There are many factors such as how far away the cruise is, what cabin type, length and time of year.  Holiday and cruises during peak times are more expensive.  Longer cruises or destination cruises (Panama, Alaska, etc) often have more margins leaving room for more TA specials.  

If you shop bargains and stay in interior cabins there won't be as much room for extras like there would be with balconies and especially suites.  

If you booked a cruise with an agency and during that cruise visit NextCruise that booking will automatically transfer to that same agency unless you intervene and desire to use a different agency.  To transfer a booking you must not be paid in full.  There are some other considerations and restrictions for transferring cruises.  

I transferred 3 bookings to a TA even the one that was paid in full. I received nothing from the agency for any booking. One is inside, one was 12 night Mediterranean with balcony and the third is ultra spacious window cabin for 4. I guess it is up to the agency.

I think the benefits of using a TA are more than what you get from it financially like an additional OBC.  TAs are helpful if you need to make any changes or have any questions or have an opportunity to rebook at a lower price due to price drop or new promotion.  They will deal with the hassle of contacting the cruise line for you saving you time having to sit on hold.  They are especially helpful if you are cruising with others and want to link your reservations for dining or other activities.