There's MegaShips, then there's SuperMegaShips

1 minute ago, mook1525 said:

I mean.. what is the purpose of this article? why even write about it?  even my dog knows this is impossible.

This is a regurgitation of some old data, this came up 4-5 years ago and it was going to be called the World Ship.

The article specifically mentions going in to a port, but that ship could never actually "Port" to large.

Love the airport on top.  Although that does mean no access to the top deck to lounge in the sun.  

How convenient though.  Having said that I doubt any commercial airline would sell flights not knowing if the ship would actually be in a certain city on any given day and how do they refuel?  Not to mention the FAA or respective organizations approving flight operations on a moving platform that would interfere with stationary airspace at times.  Cool idea though.   

27 minutes ago, mook1525 said:

I can see cruise ships getting bigger than Oasis class. however, it looks like Oasis class will be the largest ships for foreseeable future.  

I'm not sure they will get much bigger. There are already few ports that can handle them. Also Royal is going smaller with there next class (icon).

Just now, twangster said:

MSC has talked about getting to 206,000 GT.  Still "smaller" than Oasis but they are aiming for 6,850 max. guests so they can claim largest in terms of passenger count.  

I saw an artist rendering of this class MSC is talking about, it looked very similar to a Oasis class ship especially the aft.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

MSC has talked about getting to 206,000 GT.  Still "smaller" than Oasis but they are aiming for 6,850 max. guests so they can claim largest in terms of passenger count.  

So there would be less public space per passenger. This is why Royal is my preferred cruise line, they seem to have much more public space than other lines.

5 hours ago, twangster said:

4 hours ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

So there would be less public space per passenger. This is why Royal is my preferred cruise line, they seem to have much more public space than other lines.

... or we would all have to spoon with the folks in the cabin next to you... one long bed running the length of the ship with curtains to separate the "cabins"... almost 7,000 passengers on a smaller ship... LOL! ?

3 hours ago, twangster said:

Love the airport on top.  Although that does mean no access to the top deck to lounge in the sun.  

How convenient though.  Having said that I doubt any commercial airline would sell flights not knowing if the ship would actually be in a certain city on any given day and how do they refuel?  Not to mention the FAA or respective organizations approving flight operations on a moving platform that would interfere with stationary airspace at times.  Cool idea though.   

The demand for former Navy pilots just increased dramatically; who else would be qualified to land a turboprop in the 38-40 passenger range on the top of a pitchy cruise ship?  And given the expertise of this pilot cohort, refueling can simply be done in flight.  The qualifications needed are described here:

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/air-force-enlisted-job-descriptions-3344241

Want to enlist?  

50 minutes ago, DDemuth said:

The demand for former Navy pilots just increased dramatically; who else would be qualified to land a turboprop in the 38-40 passenger range on the top of a pitchy cruise ship?  And given the expertise of this pilot cohort, refueling can simply be done in flight.  The qualifications needed are described here:

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/air-force-enlisted-job-descriptions-3344241

Want to enlist?  

Dan’ll take that gig !

4 hours ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

Yeah. Was looking up stats on Norwegian Encore (we’re on one of the first sailings in December) and it has a passenger to space ratio of 34.2, and “only” holds 4K people. Harmony, which holds 6k has more space per person at 35.9.