Not Your Bag! Luggage Tags

We all love checking our luggage curbside at the terminal and having them magically appear outside our cabins.  Many of us having made the $8 investment in luggage tag holders that if you ever plan to take another cruise should be high on your list of cruise "must haves".

There is always the small chance that someone might see your luggage and in a case of mistaken identity grab your bag by mistake.  This can happen after the cruise as well if you use the luggage tags and place your bags in the hallways the last night of the cruise.  Once in the terminal with a sea of other bags they all look a like.  It can happen when you fly too.  

I'd seen luggage tags you could buy on Amazon that boldly warn people "This is NOT your bag" or "Hands off!" - anything that might make a person pause and think before grabbing your suitcase if it looks just like theirs.

It dawned on me I have these luggage tag holders so instead of buying a "Not Your bag" luggage tag, why not just print one and use the Royal luggage tag holders?

2085168542_NotYourBag.JPG.77567c064264509ffe3af1abd500e374.JPG

Simply print them off, cut and slide one into a cruise ship luggage tag holder.

Here is a sample PDF to get you started:

Not Your Bag.pdf

37 minutes ago, amathey11 said:

Only if you're a Ravenclaw! 

I think just about anyone technically savvy enough to navigate the web and manage online forums like these are Ravenclaws in spirit, if not officially via the Sorting Hat.

Side story -- A friend of mine suspected that all the Sorting Hat did was ask each prospective student a question that would require some work to solve. Where they got sorted to was based on their initial instinct:

• Hufflepuff: Eh, I can work on that later!
  • Gryffindor: Let me get right on that!
  • Slytherin: How can I make someone else do this useless task for me?
  • Ravenclaw: I bet I can build something to do that for me!

A great idea. When we disembarked in Baltimore in October we were among the last people off the ship. Went to our designated area to get our bags and wouldn't you know - my wife's distinctive Vera Bradley bag was missing and another (newer and nicer) bag of the same size and pattern was right there.

We were able to reach the other individual by calling the number on her luggage tag, but since she had already exited the terminal we had to go outside to get the right bag and hike all the way around the terminal to get to our car. What should have been a quick "grab and go" luggage experience turned into a 60 minute ordeal and a long trek instead of a "pop out the door" experience.

Thankfully the only time one our our bags got lifted by mistake was on the way home from a month in Australia

The bag was full of dirty clothes so I wasn't toooo annoyed by it, less washing for me to do.

3 days later the airport called us up to say that someone had come back and brought the bag back so all worked out in the end

19 hours ago, twangster said:

We all love checking our luggage curbside at the terminal and having them magically appear outside our cabins.  Many of us having made the $8 investment in luggage tag holders that if you ever plan to take another cruise should be high on your list of cruise "must haves".

There is always the small chance that someone might see your luggage and in a case of mistaken identity grab your bag by mistake.  This can happen after the cruise as well if you use the luggage tags and place your bags in the hallways the last night of the cruise.  Once in the terminal with a sea of other bags they all look a like.  It can happen when you fly too.  

I'd seen luggage tags you could buy on Amazon that boldly warn people "This is NOT your bag" or "Hands off!" - anything that might make a person pause and think before grabbing your suitcase if it looks just like theirs.

It dawned on me I have these luggage tag holders so instead of buying a "Not Your bag" luggage tag, why not just print one and use the Royal luggage tag holders?

2085168542_NotYourBag.JPG.77567c064264509ffe3af1abd500e374.JPG

Simply print them off, cut and slide one into a cruise ship luggage tag holder.

Here is a sample PDF to get you started:

Not Your Bag.pdf 11.39 kB · 11 downloads

Thanks for the tip!!

3 hours ago, cmdrfrag said:

Thankfully the only time one our our bags got lifted by mistake was on the way home from a month in Australia

The bag was full of dirty clothes so I wasn't toooo annoyed by it, less washing for me to do.

This was also the case for the Vera Bradley bag mentioned above - the individual would have been VERY surprised at what she carried home had we not connected before leaving the port.

On 3/19/2019 at 9:40 AM, JennyB said:

We use a bright colored ribbon or strip of material on ours to help us (and others) distinguish our luggage.  ?

We use wide red tape for the black suitcase and wide black tape for the red suitcase. It hasn't mattered much as we have yet to see any suitcases that look like ours. This is really handy when disembarking when you have all the suitcases grouped together.