What does a cruise with an 18 month old look like?

I am considering booking a cruise for myself, my wife, and our 18 month old (at the time of the cruise). While I realize that cruising with a young child is different than without, what would a sea day look like in this scenario? Can anyone who has done this before give an idea what kind of activities you did with your toddler on a sea day or a rough timeline?  

Thanks!

My daughter took their 18 month old on a cruise last year and they said it was the cruise from hell. He fussed the whole time and they spent a great deal of time in their cabin so they wouldnt ruin other peoples cruise.   Everyone with kids knows it can go either way.  So be prepared,  you could have a little darling or a little monster ,  all kids handle it differently just like adults.

Our son was about that age for his first cruise.  I can not say enough about having an inside stateroom.  It was so dark and quiet that napping for him and us was perfect.  The cruise was more about all of us recharging a little.  

Routine was breakfast, play or just explore the ship during the morning, short break before lunch, Lunch, then EVERYONE nap, a little playtime in the afternoon, dinner and then bed.  Playtime could be splash pad/pool, briefly exploring port or one of the ships activities.  We did put him in the babysitting/club for one adult dinner.  

ETA - that was our one an only inside stateroom and it worked for that cruise.

A day on a ship with an 18 month old is not much different than a day on land at home with an 18 month old. 

Your schedule is dictated by them.  They are in control. 

At home you can't go grocery shopping when you want to, you do it around their nap schedule.  You may not realize it at home but you find a way of planning and performing your day around their needs and schedule.  It just short of happens.    

On a ship you might have plans for a day of lounging by the pool or exploring a port but forget making plans.  You'll need to follow their mood and needs.  That could work out well or if they are cranky from having their routine interrupted by the muster drill that might work out not very well.   

Also keep in mind their immune system isn't as robust as ours.  We are constantly bombarded by germs and viruses but most of us fend them off and never know it.  A toddler doesn't have the same germ fighting capacity and an ear ache or sore throat can make your cruise very stressful.  Even teething can be a pain for everyone involved.  At home it's easy enough to run to a store and buy something.  Not so on a ship.  

Probably not a popular idea but..... You could wait until they are 3 and able to enjoy Adventure Ocean and give you a break as well.  We cruised when one was old enough for Adventure Ocean and the other was not.  It gave us some quality alone time with our youngest but would have been nice to be be able enjoy even an hour or two a day with just adults.  If you are booking it for now, consider your ship.  Some have the nursery that you could utilize while others don't have any option for kids under 3.  Also they won't be able to use the pool which was a big deal for our little guy and we didn't realize until after we had booked.  So try to find a ship with a splash area and nursery or wait and do something land based until they're 3 would my advice having gone on a ship with a young one with no splash area and no nursery (Explorer).

Hello,

i am heading on a cruise this summer with my will be 10 month old. We were not going to go but my parents, brother and my 12 YO niece and 15 YO nephew convinced us. I think it’s gojng to be great to have my parents willing to watch her at times during the day and hopefully at least one evening. My main concern right now is on port days, we want to spend some beach times where we’re going but trying to find out the best ways to go about it. I am a first time parent so this whole experience has been a wake up call but it’s been a great journey and I’m looking forward to taking our first family vacation with my family while family as well. Good luck and let us know how your experience turns out, I will make sure to do the same.

I went on Harmony with our 18 month old last year and it was a breeze. Meal time was a little tough and it took a little planning but it was great. Contrary to opinion, I would recommend an interior balcony room if they have one. We could let him watch the people on the boardwalk and he entertained himself. Splash pad was great too and he loved it. 

I agree with the inside cabin for naps.  Or a balcony so you can sit out there while little one naps in the cabin but I enjoyed the inside so I could nap too.  Our daughter started cruising at 9 months and it was great.  All the staff loved the baby and helped so much.  That being said we were on Carnival and they had night time babysitting for her so we had some parent time.  We also took our in-laws once so they helped with giving us free time.  A lot of walking around and just having mellow time with hubby and baby. 

We started taking our daughter on cruises when she was 7 months and again around 18 months and she’s always loved them. New things to see, and best of all the crew all seem to love a happy baby. So many of them have children back at home, that they’d do special things for Addie. Every night in the MDR they’d bring freshly made baby food and other treats. We never subscribed to the “babies schedule” mantra so Addie was always flexible with heading ashore and nap times. She even got her first tooth on a cruise  

9575FF6C-0D29-4977-A5F4-3E74230F0C76.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Don't think twice....go and have fun!! My husband and I took our son on his first cruise last year a month shy of his first birthday.  We had some concerns but surprisingly he did really well!  He loves to be out and about so having a new space (an entire ship!) to explore kept him entertained.   During the day we kept him with us.  On sea days we explored the ship (Navigator of the seas), played mini golf etc, and on port days we took him with us too.  Again, we knew he wouldn't be any trouble because it's something new to capture his attention.  We got him ready for bed and dropped him off at the nursery on our way to dinner most nights.  He would be sleeping when we picked him up after an hour or two.  The short time was due to me worrying about being away from him and leaving him with strangers, given that he cried every time we dropped him off. 

We're booked for another cruise on Allure of the Seas Sept 15th.  He's 2 yrs now so will see how that goes! 

My daughters’s first cruise was 20 months.  We kind of had the feeling she would be okay because  we took her her everywhere with us and never much trouble.  Was pretty much a -go with the flow- kind of baby.  

It ended up being one of my most memorable cruises.  If I go back to watch a past cruise video,  that’s the one I pick because it was so much fun watching her experience everything.  Definitely not the same cruise vacation as before she was born but we expected it not to be.  

She even visited all the ports with us.  It really didn’t change that much on how we previously cruised.

She’s going on 10 and still hasn’t spent any time in the Adventure Ocean.  I tell her she is probably missing out on a lot of fun but prefers to hang with us.   

If I had one tip, I would say to give your spouse time to go explore the ship or have time to do something on their own.  Then you get the same opportunity.