Fort Lauderdale area

nrgMike

Hi. 

I'm going on a cruise in October but not sure if I'm flying in to fort Lauderdale or Miami. I know there are things to see in Miami but is there anything to explore in the Ft Lauderdale area. I'll probably have some time when I return from the cruise on a Friday because I plan on flying back at night. Let me know.

Thanks

6 hours ago, nrgMike said:

Hi. 

I'm going on a cruise in October but not sure if I'm flying in to fort Lauderdale or Miami. I know there are things to see in Miami but is there anything to explore in the Ft Lauderdale area. I'll probably have some time when I return from the cruise on a Friday because I plan on flying back at night. Let me know.

Thanks

I am curious, what are the “things to see in Miami”? Let me know what type of things your interested in seeing & I think you will find Fort Lauderdale has lots of spots to explore. Personally I think the only thing Miami has to see is traffic.

36 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

I am curious, what are the “things to see in Miami”? Let me know what type of things your interested in seeing & I think you will find Fort Lauderdale has lots of spots to explore. Personally I think the only thing Miami has to see is traffic.

I second this lol.. I don't get for one second what people like about Miami. I have lived in South Florida my whole life and the only time I go to Miami is for cruising, going to Miami Heat games, and concerts. Other than that I find Miami dirty, boring, full of traffic, and just no big deal. The beach is not like the beaches of the Caribbean you cant see to the bottom.. I hate to sound so negative but I don't get it lol 

7 hours ago, nrgMike said:

Hi. 

Thanks

Is your cruise going out of Port Everglades or Port Miami? A lot of which one you decide to fly into will be based on that.  Otherwise you’re looking at an ~80 Uber ride each way. Also, another consideration is airlines. If you’re an American flier, MIA is your only choice. If like me, you spend a lot of your year on Southwest, FLL is your choice as Southwest doesn’t fly into Miami. 

3 hours ago, AGSLC5 said:

I second this lol.. I don't get for one second what people like about Miami. I have lived in South Florida my whole life and the only time I go to Miami is for cruising, going to Miami Heat games, and concerts. Other than that I find Miami dirty, boring, full of traffic, and just no big deal. The beach is not like the beaches of the Caribbean you cant see to the bottom.. I hate to sound so negative but I don't get it lol 

Haha well I've never been to South Florida at all. You do sound really negative. I live in a suburb of Chicago but still find Chicago interesting to visit for different things. I was interested in exploring Little Havana. Basically I'm just looking for good food or seeing scenic things like landmarks.

3 hours ago, Andrew72681 said:

Is your cruise going out of Port Everglades or Port Miami? A lot of which one you decide to fly into will be based on that.  Otherwise you’re looking at an ~80 Uber ride each way. Also, another consideration is airlines. If you’re an American flier, MIA is your only choice. If like me, you spend a lot of your year on Southwest, FLL is your choice as Southwest doesn’t fly into Miami. 

My cruise is out of Port of Miami. I'm hoping for a sale on SW because American airlines legroom/service is terrible.

5 hours ago, nrgMike said:

Haha well I've never been to South Florida at all. You do sound really negative. I live in a suburb of Chicago but still find Chicago interesting to visit for different things. I was interested in exploring Little Havana. Basically I'm just looking for good food or seeing scenic things like landmarks.

see that's the thing.. OMG Chicago is Fantastic!! My favorite city... I wish Miami was like that but its NOT.. You cant just walk around and do fun things like Chicago its just not that kind of place. Im sorry I sound negative I just don't want people to think coming to Miami is like going to LA its not.. LA Is fun I have been there many times.. Now if you like Night Clubs and bars yes Miami has quite a lot of that. And if you want Cuban food of course Miami has a lot of that. But touristy stuff like Museums no it doesn't and thats what bugs me about Miami but hey I get it you are on vacay so live it up. I was just sort of joking with Tony my fellow South Florida guy because I know he's not a big Miami fan either.. Us locals who live in Ft. Lauderdale we are usually not Miami people thats all but have an awesome time didn't mean to upset you..

8 hours ago, nrgMike said:

Making suggestions will really depend on what interests you.  A major difference between Chicago and South Florida is that public transportation is not as prevalent down here.  It's getting better with more rail options, but it isn't as easy to get around like Chicago without a vehicle, so if you truly want to explore before/after your cruise maybe rent a car for the day so you can save yourself time getting around to what does interest you. 

When I take people around Miami that have never been there I would probably hit up Little Havana, check out the Art Deco district in South Beach/Miami Beach...things that really scream Miami to people that don't live here.  In Fort Lauderdale the only thing I can think of is Las Olas and riding around on the water taxi in that area.  

3 hours ago, AGSLC5 said:

see that's the thing.. OMG Chicago is Fantastic!! My favorite city... I wish Miami was like that but its NOT.. You cant just walk around and do fun things like Chicago its just not that kind of place. Im sorry I sound negative I just don't want people to think coming to Miami is like going to LA its not.. LA Is fun I have been there many times.. Now if you like Night Clubs and bars yes Miami has quite a lot of that. And if you want Cuban food of course Miami has a lot of that. But touristy stuff like Museums no it doesn't and thats what bugs me about Miami but hey I get it you are on vacay so live it up. I was just sort of joking with Tony my fellow South Florida guy because I know he's not a big Miami fan either.. Us locals who live in Ft. Lauderdale we are usually not Miami people thats all but have an awesome time didn't mean to upset you..

100% agree with this statement. It’s really just a locals thing. People automatically assume Miami is “South Florida” and for some reason think that outside Miami city limits it’s nothing but Everglades with snakes and alligators. All I’m saying (especially if you have never been to SoFL) is you may be very disappointed in Miami and should maybe consider venturing out and maybe seeing something interesting like the Florida Keys to the South. Miami is quite honestly 85% a dump with heavy traffic. It takes 1.5 hours to go 4 miles down the road. There are nice parts that you see on TV like South Beach that give Miami an appealing and sexy vibe but that’s where it ends. If you want to spend your nights in trendy nightclubs I get it. Be prepared to spend lots of cash because much like Vegas the good stuff costs lots of $$$$$. As for the beaches and dining this can all be had in Fort Lauderdale. Sure I’ve lived in East Fort Lauderdale my entire life and I’m somewhat bias but I don’t think I’m in the minority by steering you clear of the hassle that is Miami. In any case, enjoy your time in Miami and brush up on your Spanish because you will need it.

34 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Making suggestions will really depend on what interests you.  A major difference between Chicago and South Florida is that public transportation is not as prevalent down here.  It's getting better with more rail options, but it isn't as easy to get around like Chicago without a vehicle, so if you truly want to explore before/after your cruise maybe rent a car for the day so you can save yourself time getting around to what does interest you. 

When I take people around Miami that have never been there I would probably hit up Little Havana, check out the Art Deco district in South Beach/Miami Beach...things that really scream Miami to people that don't live here.  In Fort Lauderdale the only thing I can think of is Las Olas and riding around on the water taxi in that area.  

Check out wind pirate sailboat charter. Best way to see Fort Lauderdale from the water. Reasonable price. Lots of locals recommend this guy. 

miami beach is very close to the port in miami. a walk down ocean drive is fun, Lincoln road is also nice and within walking distance from the beach.  wynwood is near by and there's a lot of cool things to see there too. uber or lyft are good transportation options. in fort lauderdale, las olas is beautiful and fort lauderdale beach is very close. there are lots of shops, bars and restaurants. its true traffic can be a challenge but your on vacation, its not the same as those of us that have to commute in it. if your still looking for suggestions, message me 

On 3/18/2019 at 8:14 PM, Andrew72681 said:

If you’re an American flier, MIA is your only choice

Not necessarily, I fly AA almost exclusively and have flown in to and out of both cites. The last time I cruised out of Miami (January of 2019) I flew in to FLL and flew out of Miami. It was less expensive this way including the cost of the transportation from FLL to Miami.

If I priced up in to and out of Miami it was $200 more pp, and that was about 120 advance purchase.

39 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

Not necessarily, I fly AA almost exclusively and have flown in to and out of both cites. The last time I cruised out of Miami (January of 2019) I flew in to FLL and flew out of Miami. It was less expensive this way including the cost of the transportation from FLL to Miami.

If I priced up in to and out of Miami it was $200 more pp, and that was about 120 advance purchase.

If I were to guess my first guesses would be that your based in Dallas, Charlotte, or Chicago? Most others l, especially those not in AA hub cities would have that transpiration cost savings negated by the connection that would be added out of FLL. Flying 110-125 times a year anytime I can cut a connection out of a trip is always better. 

@tonyfsu21 We're headed down this weekend for the April 1 IOS cruise.  We are planning to visit Coopertown air boats on Sunday for an Everglades tour, then off to the Ernest Coe Visitor Center to get the girls' national park passports stamped.  

We'd like to visit the Biscayne Bay National Park visitor center as well, but not sure how much we'd gt out of the visit besides a stamp.  

Curious for a locals opinion on the Sunday plan.  

BTW, congrats on making it back to the Sweet 16.  Hope you get your rematch with Michigan this weekend. 

24 minutes ago, Andrew72681 said:

If I were to guess my first guesses would be that your based in Dallas, Charlotte, or Chicago? Most others l, especially those not in AA hub cities would have that transpiration cost savings negated by the connection that would be added out of FLL. Flying 110-125 times a year anytime I can cut a connection out of a trip is always better. 

Same here.  We always travel AA and in order to fly from DCA to FLL we would have to have a connection.  No thanks.  I will fly a nonstop into MIA and get to PE from there.

9 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Same here.  We always travel AA and in order to fly from DCA to FLL we would have to have a connection.  No thanks.  I will fly a nonstop into MIA and get to PE from there.

I’m equidistant between all three DC area airports, all are about 50 miles away. So for all of our cruises we head to BWI to fly southwest. Having the companion pass for the last four years makes that an easy choice. That and I despise gate 35x at DCA

29 minutes ago, VolFanInGa said:

@tonyfsu21 We're headed down this weekend for the April 1 IOS cruise.  We are planning to visit Coopertown air boats on Sunday for an Everglades tour, then off to the Ernest Coe Visitor Center to get the girls' national park passports stamped.  

We'd like to visit the Biscayne Bay National Park visitor center as well, but not sure how much we'd gt out of the visit besides a stamp.  

Curious for a locals opinion on the Sunday plan.  

BTW, congrats on making it back to the Sweet 16.  Hope you get your rematch with Michigan this weekend. 

At first glance it looks like your going to be way South (Homestead, Everglades National Park exc). Assuming your staying in Fort Lauderdale (since IOS is at port Everglades) your going to be in the car a lot. That’s quite the haul but everything you mentioned is certainly worthwhile. If your looking for Sunday plans check out Dr Von D. Mizell-Eula Johnson State park for a relaxing beach day. They have an area called Whiskey Creek where there’s a small dining venue (burgers, hotdogs, beer) and kayak, stand up paddle board rentals. I recommend this place because I take my girls just about every weekend that we are not at our other home in Key West. If your kids are younger check out the Discovery Science Museam in downtown Fort Lauderdale and get breakfast or lunch at Top Hat Deli or B Squared on Las Olas. Let me know any specific questions you have about anything in the East Fort Lauderdale area and I should be able to point you in the right direction. 

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Good ol' 35X.  Know it well....

We are also equidistant.....but only to DCA and IAD.  BWI is waaay out of the way for us. I truly despise IAD so we will always try and use DCA whenever possible.  I was just there this morning...biz travel AGAIN this week.

I only go to Dulles if something is very wrong or are finishing up an international trip.  It’s always a cluster getting through there. Only thing it has going for it are the Priority pass lounges, but those have been way too crowded recently, especially the Turkish lounge. 

We got off of Adventure last Saturday morning in Ft Lauderdale and our flight home wasn’t until evening.    We had a rental car reserved and drove around the Hollywood area on the A1A and found some fun beaches, an out of the way marine life sanctuary, and a couple dog beaches that our daughter liked especially since after a week gone we miss our dogs.   I enjoyed hanging out at Haulover inlet as well and watching the big yachts coming and going.    Really ritzy/high dollar area and you’ll see some nice exotic cars driving around you don’t usually see at home....at least for us!   And some beautiful homes.

77DDB514-1D57-429E-99C7-5601EEBC1B28.jpeg

3B04AD29-7C8B-4807-B0C0-2CF472BDEAB7.jpeg

3EFCBA9E-4F09-43A1-AECF-83B195323621.jpeg

23A03E07-FE42-444A-B256-060D5D12BD54.png

38 minutes ago, VolFanInGa said:

@klc317 Looks like a fun day to extend the vacation a bit before heading home.  can you share the name of the sanctuary you happened across?

We're heading down that way this weekend. 

Marine Environmental Education Center at the Carpenter House.   Just a small place near North Hollywood Beach area, in between the parking lots and the beach.   They have a big sea turtle there that cant be released back into the wild due to medical complications so they care for it there.    

But yes, we've done this day long exploring on our own for several years as our flights home usually aren't until evening.   We enjoy it.  Last year one cruise was out of Tampa where we had never been before so we explored there a little and visited the Clearwater Marine Aquarium which was great.