Traveling Day Of Cruise

Hello All,

I know that most people say do NOT travel the day of a cruise, however I have a few questions to those who have.

We are from Orlando and our cruise is out of Ft. Lauderdale at the end of October. We have the ability to get a direct flight to Ft. Lauderdale (also the first flight of the morning for this plane). 

Would you think this would keep us "safe" in regards to timings. The flight is due to arrive in Ft. Lauderdale at 8am. 

Thanks in Advance. 

3 minutes ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

Hello All,

I know that most people say do NOT travel the day of a cruise, however I have a few questions to those who have.

We are from Orlando and our cruise is out of Ft. Lauderdale at the end of October. We have the ability to get a direct flight to Ft. Lauderdale (also the first flight of the morning for this plane). 

Would you think this would keep us "safe" in regards to timings. The flight is due to arrive in Ft. Lauderdale at 8am. 

Thanks in Advance. 

I drove twice from Orlando to Miami/Ft . Lauderdale  on the same day , it was OK both of the time ,  I think you should be OK , you will come to the airport around 6:30 AM  I guess , if for some reason flights will be cancel  due to weather you can always rent a car and drop it off at the airport 

Just now, Traveler said:

I drove twice from Orlando to Miami/Ft . Lauderdale  on the same day , it was OK both of the time ,  I think you should be OK , you will come to the airport around 6:30 AM  I guess , if for some reason flights will be cancel  due to weather you can always rent a car and drop it off at the airport 

Our flight leaves at 6:30 so i would assume we would have plenty of time. 

54 minutes ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

How far do you typically live from the ports? For us it is about a 3 hour drive, so i know that as long as they don't delay us past 12:30pm we could make it via car in plenty of time. 

We live in Chicago. I take the first flight. My 6 year old nephew says we leave in the middle of the night which is usually 5am.

8 minutes ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

Thanks @twangster that definitely give us confidence in booking this flight. 

The important thing is knowing the time that is the point of no return.  

If you have to be on board say at 2pm and it takes 4 hours to drive and park, then 10am is the point of no return. 

If the airline delays and says "flight will now arrive X time"  you have to decide to stick it out with them or give up and drive.   

I've had airlines delays and say "30 minutes late", then "1 hour late" then "2 hours late"  then cancel the flight.  

If everything goes on time you are good, but plan your point of no return and if delays happen know when it's time to give up on the airline and drive.

1 minute ago, monctonguy said:

I would take my chances on that. you live close enough to grab a rental car or even bus if you had to and still make it ok.

I am envious of anyone that lives so close with so many options...good luck!

I too am envious. I have to fly clear across the continent from Vancouver so always fly in a minimum 1 day prior.

5 hours ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

How far do you typically live from the ports? For us it is about a 3 hour drive, so i know that as long as they don't delay us past 12:30pm we could make it via car in plenty of time. 

As long as you have this attitude and are prepared to hop in the car and go, you should be fine to fly the morning of. 

I would suggest not checking luggage as to not delay anything if you bail on your flight.

I m still trying to wrap my head around this,  you are flying from Orlando to Ft Lauderdale ?  You could drive to Ft Lauderdale the day before the cruise and stay in a Honeymoon suite for the price of the plane ticket.  Why take a chance when you live so close?

1 minute ago, MikeK said:

I m still trying to wrap my head around this,  you are flying from Orlando to Ft Lauderdale ?  You could drive to Ft Lauderdale the day before the cruise and stay in a Honeymoon suite for the price of the plane ticket.  Why take a chance when you live so close?

my thoughts exactly... I am guessing they are unable to travel the day before for some reason.

13 minutes ago, MikeK said:

Southwest has cheap seats intra-Florida.  When I needed to get from Indy in Port Everglades to Brilliance in Tampa this was the cheapest and fastest option.  I think my ticket was $59.  

Few women I know would be happy in a $59 bridal suite.

20 hours ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

How is that even possible? I live on the west coast of Florida and Miami is only 3 hrs for me, Ft Lauderdale is only 2 1/2.

6 minutes ago, twangster said:

Southwest has cheap seats intra-Florida.  When I needed to get from Indy in Port Everglades to Brilliance in Tampa this was the cheapest and fastest option.  I think my ticket was $59.  

Touche!

8 minutes ago, Jolly Ogre said:

How is that even possible? I live on the west coast of Florida and Miami is only 3 hrs for me, Ft Lauderdale is only 2 1/2.

Orlando is a bit north of Tampa still...I just did the drive from Miami all the way up to Tallahassee and it's a solid 2.5 - 3 hours on the Turnpike from Miami to the Orlando area.

5 minutes ago, JennyB said:

we always fly the morning of our cruise...from Indianapolis...

also, if I lived in Florida, chances are I'd be close to being a Diamond...because weekend cruises would happen REGULARLY!!!

Just not in the month of March...college spring break..avoid, avoid, avoid.

4 hours ago, twangster said:

@Twangster is right, our flights round trip are cheaper than driving, getting a hotel room and paying for parking. 

Getting a rental car for one day is more expensive than a one way flight for us. 

Thank heavens we have cheap SW flights.

1 hour ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

Getting a rental car for one day is more expensive than a one way flight for us. 

Thank heavens we have cheap SW flights.

After just doing that drive to/from Miami at 7 hours each way for a 3 night cruise...soooo envious of cheap airfare.   I have access to one-way car rentals with no surcharge, but it's nearly breakeven for such a short cruise for me..being 7 hours away I need the good night's sleep before, so have to have hotel too.

47 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

After just doing that drive to/from Miami at 7 hours each way for a 3 night cruise...soooo envious of cheap airfare.   I have access to one-way car rentals with no surcharge, but it's nearly breakeven for such a short cruise for me..being 7 hours away I need the good night's sleep before, so have to have hotel too.

We did a 4 hour drive to Miami for our last cruise the night before (it was 3 night cruise). I was so sick before that I needed that night before but that trip back was brutal