Dress code for the shows

BCruise

The suggested dress for the dining room is the standard for the show venues; however, it's only rarely enforced in the dining rooms and nowhere else. I've personally have changed into more casual attire, polo and dockers, on formal night between dinner and the shows.

Outside of beach/bathing attire, no one is going to stop you. Casual or up will be acceptable.

It used to be that the dress code for the dining room was the standard for all venues that night around the ship. However, with the casual option of the Windjammer and the smart casual dress code in the specialty restaurants even on formal night, I think that tradition has passed us by.

I fully understand the old timey tradition of dressing up on cruises, but for me, the fact that clean, pressed jeans, casual canvas shoes, and a nice sport shirt is acceptable turned me into a cruiser. I also believe that the current popularity of cruising can be at least partially due to this trend. Just my opinion.

Out of respect, I do what is traditional. But as that is changing, I'm becoming happier. If I had my way, I'd be in full bum attire everyday, everywhere. In the meantime, however, that has not yet changed. So I wish the eye sore folks would find their way to Carnival.

Sometimes you should just play the game the way it is already set up, and not force your game on everyone else. Don't bring a basketball to a tennis match.

So wear a suit and a nice dress on formal night. Don't wear a tank top and flip flops to the MDR or the theater on any night. And so on. It's not always about you. Sometimes it's about respect for others. If you want it to be all about you, buy your own ship. Shy of that, conform a bit.

Confession time. I wore jeans and a button down shirt to the MDR for the first time ever on my cruise last week. I felt totally dressed down and little uncomfortable. That said, people were wearing shorts and tees, so, by comparison, I was fine. Didn't make it right though. I think if times are changing, it should be officially changed. And when it is, I'll be the happiest man in the room.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

Nicky,

If it weren't for the more casual trend in cruising, my wife wouldn't be drawn to Royal or cruises in general. What appealed to her in 2004 was NCL because of their relaxed dress code and freestyle dining. Now that I don't have to wear a suit and have MTD, all is good with the world.

Scott,

I agree with you regarding the dress code. Don't have one if you're not going to enforce it. There's no reason to have otherwise. Although, to be honest, I don't care what other people are wearing unless it's something I'd rather my son not see.

Agree with everyone ! It's funny b/c some people (I will call out the women more often here than the men) will THINK they're dressed up and really they look ridiculous. NOT that I'm judging...ok...maybe I am. So being dressed up doesn't always mean you look presentable. I guess that's why they keep some outline of a policy in place, otherwise God only knows what would come tromping through the MDR.

It used to be that the dress code for the dining room was the standard for all venues that night around the ship. However, with the casual option of the Windjammer and the smart casual dress code in the specialty restaurants even on formal night, I think that tradition has passed us by.

That's correct and that's how our family handles it. What we wear to dinner will be worn to the show.  Never saw much point in changing just for dinner and then changing again.  If I'm bringing fancy clothes, I'm going to wear them!

Out of respect, I do what is traditional. But as that is changing, I'm becoming happier. If I had my way, I'd be in full bum attire everyday, everywhere. In the meantime, however, that has not yet changed. So I wish the eye sore folks would find their way to Carnival.

Sometimes you should just play the game the way it is already set up, and not force your game on everyone else. Don't bring a basketball to a tennis match.

So wear a suit and a nice dress on formal night. Don't wear a tank top and flip flops to the MDR or the theater on any night. And so on. It's not always about you. Sometimes it's about respect for others. If you want it to be all about you, buy your own ship. Shy of that, conform a bit.

Confession time. I wore jeans and a button down shirt to the MDR for the first time ever on my cruise last week. I felt totally dressed down and little uncomfortable. That said, people were wearing shorts and tees, so, by comparison, I was fine. Didn't make it right though. I think if times are changing, it should be officially changed. And when it is, I'll be the happiest man in the room.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

Bravo. - dead on target! Sadly the standard is now all about "me" and what "i" can get away with and to hell with everyone else! If RCI allows that standard then just change the standard!

It seems that some equate nice dress with being uncomfortable, which does not have to be the case. While I’m not opposed to something less than formal wear, I prefer a jacket and tie for dinner most nights and do not feel a need to change prior to attending a show or evening activities.

I do oppose cruise wear being reduced to the least common denominator, or dumbed down to the Walmart standard.

I searched and didn't see an answer. 

What is the dress code for the shows? Traveling on the Independence of the Seas. 

Thank you!

The suggested dress for the dining room is the standard for the show venues; however, it's only rarely enforced in the dining rooms and nowhere else. I've personally have changed into more casual attire, polo and dockers, on formal night between dinner and the shows.

Outside of beach/bathing attire, no one is going to stop you. Casual or up will be acceptable.

DocLC is dead on... I just got off of the Liberty of the Seas this morning (11/1/15) after a 10-night cruise.

I too usually follow the dining room attire suggestion... I did however change to more comfortable clothing after formal evenings (collared shirt, Dockers and shoes) when I had the time... no way was I going to wear a suit or jacket and tie to the show.  Most nights were "Casual" so you are good with even jeans and a golf shirt... just no pool deck wear, etc.!

How was the Liberty? I'll be on her in two months just before her dry dock.

Very nice ship.  The Liberty's layout seemed very familiar to us as our last cruise back in 2013 was on the Explorer.  To us, to over-simplify, the Freedom class seems to just be a larger Voyager class vessel (similar layout which was nice).  It was funny when we returned from our excursion in St. Maarten to find the Independence of the Seas docked right next to the Liberty!  From the distance it was naturally hard to tell the difference... only the scrubber on the Independence made it easy to distinguish from the sister ship.  While we were on the Liberty, they had a crew working on the installation of Liberty's scrubber, so they had to close off an area on the port side near the rock climbing wall near the basketball court and Flow Rider.

http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2015/05/07/royal-caribbean-signs-deal-alfa-laval-provide-scrubbers-cruise-ships

Of course these ships have a dated decor, but personally I would only expect the Quantum and Oasis classes to have an ultra modern decor.  It still has Portofino and Chops Grille as the specialty dining restaurants which are located on the starboard and port side of the ship just as you enter the Windjammer Cafe/Jade Sushi on Deck 11.  Also, of course it has the traditional 3-level MDR (Decks 3/4/5 with large chandelier and piano on the staircase landing between the levels.  One flow rider, basketball court, mini-golf, rock climbing wall, golf simulator, ice skating rink (Studio B, etc.  Johnny Rockets too...  Large Royal Promenade with the usual Sorrento's (no matter what they claim it "ain't" New York pizza - more like microwave pizza with a white, tasteless crust), Cafe Promenade, Ben & Jerry's, Cupcake Cupboard, Vintages, Hoof & Claw British Pub, etc.  As usual, plenty to do!  

My wife and her aunt and uncle enjoyed the shows.  Saturday Night Fever was nice - we went to the matinee (last show) on Halloween and they had technical difficulties near the end of the show (it's about 1 hr, 20 mins or so), but we enjoyed it.  They had the usual parades with the Dreamworks characters in the promenade and a Halloween costume parade on Halloween.  A bunch of folks spent a number of days learning the thriller dance up on the pool deck and then performed it on Halloween in the promenade.  We liked the cruise director (Dru Pavlov - looks a little like a taller George Clooney).

The wi-fi is painfully slow most of the time... I waited until about the half-way mark of the 10-night cruise to order it.  You have only 3 choices: (1) $20/day for the rest of the cruise for one device, $30/day for the rest of the cruise for 2 devices, or (3) $40 for one day unlimited access for one device.  

We enjoyed the service in all of the restaurants... all of the crew including maintenance and housekeeping were very friendly.  This was just our 4th cruise overall and 3rd with RC, but we booked another for FEB 2017 on Anthem (replacing Liberty in Cape Liberty, NJ) onboard.  We selected a balcony stateroom and basically reserved it for the online price (30% off), but only had to leave a reduced deposit of $200 which was effectively eliminated with the immediate $200 OBC they applied to our Liberty cruise account!  Yeah, we're hooked... Allure in Sept 2016 and Anthem in Feb 2017 if all goes as planned!   :)

Sorry for the novel!  Hated getting off of the ship this morning!  :(

Just a couple of shots of Liberty sandwiched between the NCL Getaway and the Carnival Valor in St. Thomas last week... figured out how to attach photos finally!   :)

... and just a couple of pics related to the prior post (port in St. Maarten)... Liberty and Independence together... just needed Freedom and the triplets would be complete!  :)

post-2081-0-79592600-1446522728_thumb.jpg

post-2081-0-73800100-1446522735_thumb.jpg

post-2081-0-73981300-1446522741_thumb.jpg

post-2081-0-07439300-1446522747_thumb.jpg

Not sure if you all saw this, so I'm re-posting it here.

Well, there goes the neighborhood. http://www.cruisecritic.com/v-3/news/news.cfm?ID=6642 I'm sure Royal will be soon to follow.

Believe me, on balance, I'm happy about it.

I think this change reflects what most people do actually wear when they go out for a party or to a club these days.

• 3 weeks later...

I must admit I have been dressing up less on formal nights.  Dress pants and jacket with no tie.  I will say that on Liberty out of Galveston this month I saw some pretty fancy western wear on some of the folks.  It was cool seeing a few old Texans with fancy boots and cowboy hats.  That certainly wasn't the norm, but there were a few.

I will say that on Liberty out of Galveston this month I saw some pretty fancy western wear on some of the folks.  It was cool seeing a few old Texans with fancy boots and cowboy hats.  That certainly wasn't the norm, but there were a few.

I agree it's an interesting spectacle to behold seeing folks still dress that way.

• 9 months later...

I fully understand the old timey tradition of dressing up on cruises, but for me, the fact that clean, pressed jeans, casual canvas shoes, and a nice sport shirt is acceptable turned me into a cruiser. I also believe that the current popularity of cruising can be at least partially due to this trend. Just my opinion.

Couldn't agree more! I am new to this thread but I personally that anything is workable to say the least. With the last show I attended, I wore the casual shirt and black pants. I also wore my H&M swimsuit and The Beach People round towel.