Western Caribbean Feb vs May

So my husband and I have decided that the only way to make the 5 years between now and retirement go faster is to take a cruise once every 4-6 months (yay!). The farthest out that I've booked so far is the October 2020 Group Cruise, so I'm starting to look at late winter/spring of 2021.  I want to avoid all of March and the first half of April due to spring break, as well as summer once kids are out of school, so I'm pretty much looking at February (and the itineraries are out) or waiting until the itineraries are out for May.   I may even go crazy and splurge on a JS or GS! (Shhhh, I haven't broken that part to my husband yet).

Having never been to the Caribbean on a cruise (ok, I guess Nassau/Coco Cay briefly, and I spent next to no time in the water), maybe some of you can weigh in as to what the advantages are to the different times of year.  I would assume that the water would be warmer in May for doing things like snorkeling, but that's simply a guess on my part (here in Minnesota I don't feel I can dip a toe into water until mid August, but I'm kind of a wuss that way - in May we might not even have full ice out in some years!).  Also I suppose the prices may be better in February as opposed to May?

What is the departure port you are looking at. I don't have experience with Florida, but I know Galveston. Once you get to the Western Caribbean the weather will be great no matter when you go but the cruising days getting there will be different. Until you leave the bay and get  far enough South into open waters, it will be chilly in February. SOOOO, all things being equal, I would choose May and you will have all 7 days of beautiful warm weather.

Oh yeah-it will most likely be cheaper in February.

17 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

So my husband and I have decided that the only way to make the 5 years between now and retirement go faster is to take a cruise once every 4-6 months (yay!). The farthest out that I've booked so far is the October 2020 Group Cruise, so I'm starting to look at late winter/spring of 2021.  I want to avoid all of March and the first half of April due to spring break, as well as summer once kids are out of school, so I'm pretty much looking at February (and the itineraries are out) or waiting until the itineraries are out for May.   I may even go crazy and splurge on a JS or GS! (Shhhh, I haven't broken that part to my husband yet).

Having never been to the Caribbean on a cruise (ok, I guess Nassau/Coco Cay briefly, and I spent next to no time in the water), maybe some of you can weigh in as to what the advantages are to the different times of year.  I would assume that the water would be warmer in May for doing things like snorkeling, but that's simply a guess on my part (here in Minnesota I don't feel I can dip a toe into water until mid August, but I'm kind of a wuss that way - in May we might not even have full ice out in some years!).  Also I suppose the prices may be better in February as opposed to May?

Feb is much better than May in my opinion. I live in Ft. Lauderdale Florida and trust me the water is plenty warm in Feb here and in the Caribbean. Feb is usually much Cheaper than May and it won't be as Hot if you want to walk around ports it will be in upper 70's to mid 80's where in May you are looking at upper 80's to Mid 90's.. Plus in May it starts to rain a lot because summer is the Rainy season for Florida and the Caribbean. So yeah for those reasons I would do Feb. 

53 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

We live in N. WI and always sail in Feb. Great break from winter.

5 hours ago, Mljstr said:

What is the departure port you are looking at. I don't have experience with Florida, but I know Galveston. Once you get to the Western Caribbean the weather will be great no matter when you go but the cruising days getting there will be different. Until you leave the bay and get  far enough South into open waters, it will be chilly in February. SOOOO, all things being equal, I would choose May and you will have all 7 days of beautiful warm weather.

Oh yeah-it will most likely be cheaper in February.

Most likely either Tampa or Fort Lauderdale - I kind of have Key West on the brain. Thanks for your input!!

2 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Most likely either Tampa or Fort Lauderdale - I kind of have Key West on the brain. Thanks for your input!!

I went to Key West last year and really liked it. It's a very small community of locals surrounded by a lot of people that go for the weather. And, then there Kermits Key Lime Pies - oh my the best I have ever had. The only problem I had was it was not enough time. We arrived at 0700 and left by 1400 (2PM)...just not enough time but I will be back.