So where do you think Oasis 4 will be homeported ?

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping RC would invest in a Jacksonville port.  Jacksonville has a large airport and would shorten driving time for a number of people.  The current Jax cruise port only uses smaller ships due to a bridge.  A newer port would have to be closer to the naval base so maybe its a security thing.  Has anyone heard any talk about a new Jax cruise port?

I was hoping RC would invest in a Jacksonville port.  Jacksonville has a large airport and would shorten driving time for a number of people.  The current Jax cruise port only uses smaller ships due to a bridge.  A newer port would have to be closer to the naval base so maybe its a security thing.  Has anyone heard any talk about a new Jax cruise port?

I haven't heard a thing.  RC is big in Fort Lauderdale, which seems to be there big presence outside of Port Canaveral or Miami.

• 2 months later...

So I read someone's comment that perhaps Oasis 4 will be going to China.

I wonder if they might consider that they're overexposed in China...

I read an article about RCL and South American cruises, and that they're pulling out of Brazil due to the devaluation of the local currency in relationship to the US Dollar.  IIRC the value fell something like 22% in the last quarter - so basically, a Brazilian booked a cruise over the summer at the equivalent of $2,000 US Dollars, but by the time final payment was due the local currency was only worth $1,560.  They can't sustain that for very long.  I imagine something like that could happen with China.

Well, they've proven that Europe is do-able, as both Oasis and Allure did a series of sailings in the Med while they were back overe there for their 5 yr drydocks.  

Wherever it is, it will need to have a terminal big enough to turn that many pax around, a supply chain that can stock a ship that size, and a homeport that is deep enough and wide enough for it to get in and out.  That narrows the possibilities down a bit.  

After that, you need ports of call that can be reached from that homeport and are also deep enough and wide enough to accomodate it.  Also need those ports of call to have the capability of accepting that many pax.  (remember, they don't do Cayman on the classic western because you can't tender that many pax in a reasonable timeframe.  This was a big part of why Labadee finally built a pier.)

I don't know anything about China or Asia/Pacific ports so I have no idea who/where would meet these needs.  I just can't see all 4 staying on Florida's east coast though...

So I read someone's comment that perhaps Oasis 4 will be going to China. You really think so ? I'm betting on Europe.

What do you think ?

On our last cruise it was mentioned an Oasis Class will head to Australia. Unless RCI build a terminal at Port Botany I cant see this eventuating. Ports will also be limited in and around the South Pacific.. Definitely a nice pipe dream though

Be interesting to see if they end up with 4 in Florida, I think they are pretty well locked into 3 with the expanded/custom terminals in Canaveral and Lauderdale and now talking about putting a terminal in Miami (think that is definite but I could be wrong and don't recall the completion timing).

I think the ships are great attractors for new cruisers but the itineraries are really tough for me to get excited about having been to all the ports they offer multiple times.

If they did end up with 4 here hopefully it dilutes the pricing a bit to where taking a turn on one makes more sense :)

My guess is that all 4 will be ported in Florida with 1 probably seasonally going to Europe for the summer and coming back in the winter. I just don't see them going any where else right know because number one their size, two no tendering at ports they have to dock, and three dry dock every 5 years.

With Oasis going to Port Canaveral soon, does the possibility of Oasis 4 going to China increase? Or, will Oasis head over there after a short stay at Port Canaveral?

I would love to see more options out of Jacksonville too. I am flying there the day before my next Port Canaveral embarkation and spending a half day in St Augustine.

With Oasis going to Port Canaveral soon, does the possibility of Oasis 4 going to China increase? Or, will Oasis head over there after a short stay at Port Canaveral?

I would love to see more options out of Jacksonville too. I am flying there the day before my next Port Canaveral embarkation and spending a half day in St Augustine.

If you've never been to St Augustine make sure you try the Columbia Restaurant and the Lightner Museum

• 2 weeks later...

The Asian Market has been very strong for RCI and they have done well with the larger ships here. I would think it is time to more a Oasis Class Ship here. Between the northern market China / Singapore and the southern market Australia it can and will support a larger ship. It also allows for higher profits as they charge the same basic rates but have many lower costs. My cruise in August which has three Philippines posts had all the tours marked up at least four times what I could purchase for without using RCI. Asia is a gold mine that they want to harvest. 

Anyone know what the ports are like in terms of supporting Oasis class in Asia ? I know they are very limited in the Caribbean which is why they do the same itineraries over and over and over and over ...

The ports are not a problem, some of the best ports in the World can be found in Asia: Hong Kong, Singapore, Shanghai all Base Ports for RCI and all have new state of the Art Cruise Terminals. It was just announced that RCI is building a new port in Australia, and they have a great port that is only a few years old in Vietnam. The Shanghai Cruise market also does many port calls in Japan and South Korea both countries with great first world ports.

Also they have had a Quantum class ship based in Asia for the last couple years and the new Ovation Of The Seas will be home ported in Shanghai. While the Oasis Class ships are much larger in Gross Tons, the size is very close to the Quantum Class, they draw 2 meters more 8.8 meters vs 9.3 meters, the length is only about 14 meters long and the width (Beam) only about 9 meters wider. So most ports that can accommodate the Quantum Class can handle the Oasis Class.

Also another very important factor here is the China Market, you really need to understand this market. It is unlike other markets they are in. Here in Asia, face is very important, and saving face, I'm not talking about how people look but the concept of things. The Chinese cruisers will pay much more to be able to say they are on the largest cruise ship in the world (By Class). And the market here is very strong. A Oasis Class ship makes prefect sense here. The season is longer and they have the season in Australia. But they can draw the Australian market year round. It is a fairly short flight from Australia / New Zealand to South East Asia.  

I think something that is being forgotten is that Oasis class are warm weather ships.

Staying in the Caribbean makes the most sense in this respect (at least 10 months out of the year)

Given that Adventure and Jewel are doing quite well and the port size, I would think that San Juan, PR would be a great choice.... Creates some nice itinerary variety (Barbados/ Curacao??)

I think something that is being forgotten is that Oasis class are warm weather ships.

Staying in the Caribbean makes the most sense in this respect (at least 10 months out of the year)

Given that Adventure and Jewel are doing quite well and the port size, I would think that San Juan, PR would be a great choice.... Creates some nice itinerary variety (Barbados/ Curacao??)

Look at where Ovation of the Seas will be home-ported?  China is a warm weather place for a warm weather ship and during the cooler months Australia. And what is between China and Australia? Singapore three world class first World cities and ports with very large active markets. The fourth Oasis Class ship will be here in Asia. SE Asia and Australia both have a large cross over market and moving the ship between these two locations also provides for great  repositioning cruises. While most of the repositioning cruises are just to move the ships these are money markers for RCI. A combination Asia Australia cruises is very appealing to the largest  market RCI has the US Market. 

The money is here in Asia and the company knows that and is building this market at a very fast rate. 

• 2 weeks later...

Zero 100% it will never happen

I think that is a really presumptive to say. Statistically, there is always a chance things can happen, although it can be unlikely.

I could see a scenario of all 4 Oasis ships in at least North America, given the ever fluctuating state of the global economy. I know you are quite bullish on the Asian cruise market, but keep two things in mind:

1. Remember when over half the fleet was in Europe one year and then the bottom fell out from that?  Things can change

2. Oasis ships require ports that can handle ships that size, which there are not many.  

Not saying you are wrong, just that I could totally foresee a scenario in which all 4 are based in Florida, but I tend to think RC will spread them out a bit more than that.

I think that is a really presumptive to say. Statistically, there is always a chance things can happen, although it can be unlikely.

I could see a scenario of all 4 Oasis ships in at least North America, given the ever fluctuating state of the global economy. I know you are quite bullish on the Asian cruise market, but keep two things in mind:

1. Remember when over half the fleet was in Europe one year and then the bottom fell out from that?  Things can change

2. Oasis ships require ports that can handle ships that size, which there are not many.  

Not saying you are wrong, just that I could totally foresee a scenario in which all 4 are based in Florida, but I tend to think RC will spread them out a bit more than that.

We will see once the four ships are operation.

As to point #1 We are in total agreement "things can change" so from a marketing and business standpoint you would not base all four in Florida.  Maybe in 10 years when they have several more and a newer class ship you will see it but not when they have only four Oasis Class ships in Operation.

As to point #2  Many of the ports here in Asia can and do handle ships this size and larger (Cargo Ships). And as I pointed out in post #27 of this thread the difference between Quantum class and Oasis Class is not really that different or bigger for docking and port needs. Remember many of the best deep water harbors in the world are in Asia.

" I know you are quite bullish on the Asian cruise market"

More proof of how strong the Asian market is. This was in the Korea Herald some highlights:

"build four new cruise docks in Jeju Island, Incheon and Sokcho by 2017 to increase the country's capacity for massive ocean liners."

"Quantum of the Seas, a 167,000-ton cruise ship for Royal Caribbean International, will travel to South Korea from Shanghai, China, 44 times this year with a full capacity of 6,100."  (They count total aboard the ship Passengers & Crew)

"The cruise industry is one of the fastest growing sectors in Asia, with the number of people embarking on a cruise ship tour, especially from China, expected to reach over 2.3 million in 2016 and 2.8 million in 2017"

"The number of foreign tourists arriving in South Korea on cruise ships topped 1 million last year and is expected to reach 3 million in 2020. "

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20160307000619

I guess the cruise gods must really like me. Just found this in my email:

Nikkei Asian Review
March 6 2016

Mega cruise ship to begin making stops in Japan in 2018

Royal Caribbean Cruises currently owns two Oasis-class cruise ships and is scheduled to take delivery of two more -- one this year and the other in 2018.

The cruise line operator plans to deploy one to a hub in Asia -- Singapore, Hong Kong or Shanghai -- and use it on a route serving Japan.

I believe this has happen in part because the Asian power Governments see the value to the economy. They will build the Infrastructure needed to allow these ships to be able to operate.  I believe Royal will make a public announcement nest week at the Seatrade Cruise Global next week in Fort Lauderdale, this is the industry's big conference and companies like to make a splash.

From Japan Times

The transport ministry said Monday it plans to increase the number of ports that can be visited by large cruise ships to 14 to 15 from seven in 2015.

The ministry also aims to realize visits to Hakata port in Fukuoka Prefecture and other ports in the country by the Oasis of the Seas, one of the largest cruise ships in the world, in 2018. The 220,000-ton ship, operated by a U.S. ferry company, can carry 6,360 passengers.

So the Japanese Times is reporting Oasis will be porting in Japan? I wonder if the Transport Ministry slipped up and reported something they weren't supposed to or if Royal is still in negotiations with them.

I believe the deal is already set. But that Royal is just waiting for the correct time to do a press release. I do not know if you follow or own stock in the company? (Good deal with the added cruise discount)  But it has not done to well since the 1st of the year. When 2015 ended it was over $100 per share, this year it has fell over 25%. They have taken a few PR hits this year. I think you will see Royal make it official next week. 

I believe the deal is already set. But that Royal is just waiting for the correct time to do a press release. I do not know if you follow or own stock in the company? (Good deal with the added cruise discount) But it has not done to well since the 1st of the year. When 2015 ended it was over $100 per share, this year it has fell over 25%. They have taken a few PR hits this year. I think you will see Royal make it official next week.

I do not own stock in any cruise lines; my wife hasn't been too keen of the idea because of the possible volatility of the cruise market (e.g., global economic issues, oil prices, etc.), but I am a fan of the industry as a whole.

• 4 weeks later...

I think that with the Oasis being the oldest oasis-class ship that it will go over to either Europe or China. The Allure will move to Port Canaveral, the Harmony will stay in Port Everglades, and the 4th Oasis class ship will go to Miami. Also regarding the two future Quantum class ship I think that one will also go to Miami.