Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Serenade has a westbound Panama Canal and Alaska season in 2020 so she is a logical choice to head South.

And she's doing the standard Hawaii run which all ships do on their way to Sydney.

TCacAPI.png

 

1 hour ago, F1guynz said:

i enjoy the anticipation anyway, It is like waiting for Christmas Day not knowing what you are going to get.

I agree all this detective work is kinda fun!

Looking like Ovation, Voyager, Radiance and Serenade for 2020/21. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Curious that Radiance has nothing after her Alaska season in 2020 but she debuts in Brisbane in November.  Her last bookable cruise ends in Vancouver on September 4.  

I wonder where she is getting her dry dock and refurbishment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, twangster said:

I wonder where she is getting her dry dock and refurbishment.

My guess would be Singapore and then an Asia Repositioning cruise to Brisbane, much like Voyager is doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, mattymay said:

My guess would be Singapore and then an Asia Repositioning cruise to Brisbane, much like Voyager is doing.

Right, but a non-revenue run to Singapore.  You'd think they would try to recover some money on the way.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, twangster said:

Right, but a non-revenue run to Singapore.  You'd think they would try to recover some money on the way.  

How cool would that be, to be on a ship by yourself with just a skeleton crew.

Trying a different cabin every night

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, twangster said:

Right, but a non-revenue run to Singapore.  You'd think they would try to recover some money on the way.  

Vancouver to Singapore straight across the North Pacific..there is literally nothing! I'm not sure how may people will sign up for 15 sea days in row! 😁

To make money they would have to go via South Pacific through the islands to Australia then re-position again back up to Singapore. Even then I think they'd make more money with the non revenue run and a refurbed Radiance doing round trips from Brisbane in peak Australian season than spending that extra time on re-positioning cruises. 

All will be revealed 1st April I guess when the full itineraires are out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, twangster said:

The multi-million dollar Radiance refresh got my attention.  

That also got my attention , this is the first time they are talking about investing (beside the usual dry dock for maintenance) in something smaller than the Voyager class.  interesting 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mattymay said:

Vancouver to Singapore straight across the North Pacific..there is literally nothing! I'm not sure how may people will sign up for 15 sea days in row! 😁

To make money they would have to go via South Pacific through the islands to Australia then re-position again back up to Singapore. Even then I think they'd make more money with the non revenue run and a refurbed Radiance doing round trips from Brisbane in peak Australian season than spending that extra time on re-positioning cruises. 

All will be revealed 1st April I guess when the full itineraires are out.

Celebrity does transpacific to Japan after the Alaska season. Pretty inexpensive.  Guess Royal has no market up there.   Millennium was refurbished in Singapore too so likely where she’ll go.  

 

4 hours ago, F1guynz said:

How cool would that be, to be on a ship by yourself with just a skeleton crew.

Trying a different cabin every night

A lot of the crew stay on during dry dock. Contractors live on the ship, get something like $2 beers and drink like fish.  They’ll likely start ripping the areas apart that will be upgraded at sea.  Saves some precious and costly dry dock time depending how extensive the work is. If carpet is getting replaced they often do that at sea when passengers aren’t present. 

  

2 hours ago, Traveler said:

That also got my attention , this is the first time they are talking about investing (beside the usual dry dock for maintenance) in something smaller than the Voyager class.  interesting 

Exactly.  Must plan on keeping the old girl around a while.  Serenade and Brilliance both have a more modern Centrum with LED color changing lights.   Will they just upgrade Radiance to her younger sister’s level or do a Voyager class type amplification?   

Im looking at Voyager in 2020 out of Sydney.  After sailing Mariner and Navigator with their make overs I’m really curious what Voyager will get based on her region.   Possibly some thing’s neither sisters got to suit her different market.

I sailed Radiance last September and she could use some TLC.   

Eagerly awaiting news on both refurbishments.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, twangster said:

Celebrity does transpacific to Japan after the Alaska season. Pretty inexpensive.  Guess Royal has no market up there.   Millennium was refurbished in Singapore too so likely where she’ll go.  

Wow, looked that one up for fun.. via Russia as well. Pretty cheap for 15 nights.

38 minutes ago, twangster said:

Im looking at Voyager in 2020 out of Sydney.  After sailing Mariner and Navigator with their make overs I’m really curious what Voyager will get based on her region.   Possibly some thing’s neither sisters got to suit her different market.

Eagerly awaiting this as well. If Voyager did South Pacific runs only then a makeover like Mariner and Navigator would be perfect. It could also serve the rumored Perfect Day off the coast of Australia in the future. The fact that it goes back to Singapore for half the year will make it interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a little surprise as well that Radiance OTS, for possibly this length of time...Sept-Nov. I read on cruise critic some time ago, that Radiance would be making a pit stop; however, it was not advertised as if it was being "amped" like the Freedom & Voyager Class ship were...so, I simply assumed it was just for regular schedule maintenance.

 

Yet, looking at the booking for the ship, the last sailing ends early in September & according to the advertisement, resume sailing in November...that approximately 2 months in dry dock. That sound more like "amping" than regular maintenance...which is normally two weeks, if not less. With that said, I'm very interested as well, what kind of changes this ship may get & the amount of investing.

 

Just a thought...what are the chances, given the possible length of time in dry dock, that Radiance OTS(or over time,the Radiance family of ships[4]) may get a boost in tonnage, much like, at one time, Enchantment OTS got several years ago. Radiance Class Ship are in the 90,000 tonnage range. To fit a reasonable number of venues, in Royal's "Amplification" process, could there be a consideration in "amping" the tonnage comparable to Carnival's Destiny Class(102,000 tonnage) ships or even their Conquest Class(110,000)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

Just a thought...what are the chances, given the possible length of time in dry dock, that Radiance OTS(or over time,the Radiance family of ships[4]) may get a boost in tonnage, much like, at one time, Enchantment OTS got several years ago. Radiance Class Ship are in the 90,000 tonnage range. To fit a reasonable number of venues, in Royal's "Amplification" process, could there be a consideration in "amping" the tonnage comparable to Carnival's Destiny Class(102,000 tonnage) ships or even their Conquest Class(110,000)?

She may gain some weight but I doubt they'll want to bust past the Panamax standards they are built to.  While there are now Panamax 2 standards for the new locks in the Panama Canal, there are other ports and facilities that cling to the idea of Panamax.  By keeping the Radiance class compliant it potentially simplifies access to more than just the original Panama Canal locks.  It could also impact resale value looking down the road for the inevitable sale 10+ years away.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could see them trying to find a way to add more suites.  Radiance class has some of the lowest suite counts for any class in the fleet.  If they could find a way to combine two balcony cabins into a GS or OS I could see them doing so.  Royal is all about suites...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, twangster said:

She may gain some weight but I doubt they'll want to bust past the Panamax standards they are built to.  While there are now Panamax 2 standards for the new locks in the Panama Canal, there are other ports and facilities that cling to the idea of Panamax.  By keeping the Radiance class compliant it potentially simplifies access to more than just the original Panama Canal locks.  It could also impact resale value looking down the road for the inevitable sale 10+ years away.  

Even if Royal went to 110,000 tonnage, that would still be far below the panamax 2 standard...which is 120,000 & well under, by far the original panamax of 52,500. I'm just speculating why Radiance would be in dry dock that apparent length of time(2 months), based on the last sailing & advertised 1st sail back, if it wasn't major refurbishment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

Even if Royal went to 110,000 tonnage, that would still be far below the panamax 2 standard...which is 120,000 & well under, by far the original panamax of 52,500. I'm just speculating why Radiance would be in dry dock that apparent length of time(2 months), based on the last sailing & advertised 1st sail back, if it wasn't major refurbishment.

When Enchantment was enlarged it went wayyyy over budget and was a cluster.  Royal lost their appetite to expand ships.  I don't see them growing the ship.   That would be hundreds of millions and take many months.  

It takes a week or more to make it over to Singapore from Vancouver and there will be some time to test and re-certify any changes post dry dock then make it down to Brisbane.  It's more like 5-6 weeks in dry dock.   That's not actually a lot of time for major changes.  When I was on her the chairs in public places were showing signs of age.    I'm expecting some minor changes like the concierge club being converted into a suite lounge, new carpet, new lighting, cabin refresh, new displays, new carpet, dining room refresh,  etc.  

"Multi-Million" is rather vague but well shy of the "hundred million" that went into Mariner and Navigator each.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, twangster said:

When Enchantment was enlarged it went wayyyy over budget and was a cluster.  Royal lost their appetite to expand ships.  I don't see them growing the ship.   That would be hundreds of millions and take many months.  

It takes a week or more to make it over to Singapore from Vancouver and there will be some time to test and re-certify any changes post dry dock then make it down to Brisbane.  It's more like 5-6 weeks in dry dock.   That's not actually a lot of time for major changes.  When I was on her the chairs in public places were showing signs of age.    I'm expecting some minor changes like the concierge club being converted into a suite lounge, new carpet, new lighting, cabin refresh, new displays, new carpet, dining room refresh,  etc.  

"Multi-Million" is rather vague but well shy of the "hundred million" that went into Mariner and Navigator each.    

Ok...I follow you. So, some new venues & a lot of cosmetic touch ups(bedding, carpeting, chairs, lighting, card readers, etc).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

I'm a little surprise as well that Radiance OTS, for possibly this length of time...Sept-Nov. I read on cruise critic some time ago, that Radiance would be making a pit stop; however, it was not advertised as if it was being "amped" like the Freedom & Voyager Class ship were...so, I simply assumed it was just for regular schedule maintenance.

 

Yet, looking at the booking for the ship, the last sailing ends early in September & according to the advertisement, resume sailing in November...that approximately 2 months in dry dock. That sound more like "amping" than regular maintenance...which is normally two weeks, if not less. With that said, I'm very interested as well, what kind of changes this ship may get & the amount of investing.

 

Just a thought...what are the chances, given the possible length of time in dry dock, that Radiance OTS(or over time,the Radiance family of ships[4]) may get a boost in tonnage, much like, at one time, Enchantment OTS got several years ago. Radiance Class Ship are in the 90,000 tonnage range. To fit a reasonable number of venues, in Royal's "Amplification" process, could there be a consideration in "amping" the tonnage comparable to Carnival's Destiny Class(102,000 tonnage) ships or even their Conquest Class(110,000)?

I believe it will be getting a massive "amped" makeover. This ship will probably be utilized for the new 'perfect day' island planned for the Australia area

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

I believe it will be getting a massive "amped" makeover. This ship will probably be utilized for the new 'perfect day' island planned for the Australia area

Voyager certainly will get a big amplification and sail to the private destination from Sydney.

I'm still thinking Radiance won't get all that.  It doesn't have a promenade to place new indoor venues.  Limited pool deck space to play with.  Maybe a new specialty restaurant in place of Rita's.  Samba might go.  Entrance to Schooner is wasted space, something could go there.  AMP-lite.

Hope I'm wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys scarfed the crap out of me with this 202 Dry-Dock talk!!  My #1 bucket-list trip is on Radiance in 2020 to Alaska in late June......but sounds like Dry-Dock wont be until later in the year....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jce2 said:

You guys scarfed the crap out of me with this 202 Dry-Dock talk!!  My #1 bucket-list trip is on Radiance in 2020 to Alaska in late June......but sounds like Dry-Dock wont be until later in the year....

 

The gap on the Radiance calendar right now is September to November 2020.  

You should be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So far I won't be cancelling my Symphony or Navigator bookings over the local offereings..  But @twangster those are great pics of Serenade. I'm slightly more interested it what they could do for Radiance now...

Also, I haven't cruised out of Brisbane since 2011 on P&O but I remember the Brisbane itineraries were always slightly better than Sydney because it's closer to the South Pacific islands. You got an extra port day instead of a sea day.

Now hopefully they keep the announcements rolling.. and we get Voyager details tomorrow. 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...