Veteran advice needed

Jhibb68

My wife and I are planning a cruise for September 2020.  Our choices are a ten night cruise from Vancouver BC to Hawaii (one way) on Ovation or a 7 night round trip Western Mediterranean out of Barcelona with stops in France and Italy on Allure. Cost with travel is roughly the same for both and we’ll be getting an outside balcony. 

What we don’t know is weather, travel to Europe (we’re in Seattle so Vancouver is local for us), and whether ports of call should sway us one way or the other. 

Any veterans out there that can help us decide?

thanks in advance. 

I have done both. They are both great itineraries! However, the Hawaii one with maximize your "vacation" time and minimize your flying/jetlag time, which is not nothing. I'd do the Hawaii one.

If you're afraid you'll be bored during the multiple days at sea, don't be! There will be many, many things to do. 

Weather will be good in either place. A bit warmer in the Med.

Good luck, and let us know what you pick!

I can only speak to the Med, we went on Harmony in June of 2016 when she was fresh out of being built. Weather in September should be fine, they consider June and September shoulder season for the Med, because most Europeans vacation in July and August (This is what I read, I have no first hand experience to be confident).

The Mediterranean was like glass in June when we cruised.

The only caution I would give you is that the Italian ports are not close to the cities, specifically Florence and Rome, Naples I can't remember because we were going to the Amalfi Coast and Pompi, so there was going to be a drive no matter what.

I've been to Hawaii and loved it, the beauty is unparalleled, but the things you can see in Barcelona, Florence, Rome and Naples is possibly a once in a life time visit for some.  

I too have done both and agree with both@KristiZ and @tiny260 . There are wonderful things to see and do on both itineraries. A little negative edge I guess could be given to the travel time to do the Med one.  We did a 12 night Med cruise and the travel time and jet lag were issues. You should plan to go in to Barcelona at least one if not two days early to get acclimated.  

Now you have me dreaming! it was 20 years ago that we did Hawaii. Maybe it's time to repeat that one!

We did a 7-night out of Barcelona last May, and it was my favorite vacation ever. I love both Barcelona and Palma (so much that we are taking another cruise this May that hits both ports), and Florence, even though a hike from the port, is amazing. Rome is a jam-packed day, with about an hour and half transit to/from the port on each end. The weather should be great in September, missing the really hot June-August months in Italy. The only thing I will say is don't expect a relaxing vacation if you choose the Med cruise, it is port-intensive, and you will want to go-go-go. 

Weather in Europe that time will be very good (I did this route few time during this time of the year and it always was excellent) , few things about the ships . Allure is Oasis class and going to be after refurbish , which mean water slides and other new things , Ovation is a ship that was build for more colder environments. I guess the cruise to Hawaii will more relaxed while in Europe you have tones of things to see (only one day is a sea day) you might need another vacation after it ? 

Thanks everyone for the great feedback!  We're leaning toward the Mediterranean cruise since Florence is one of the places right out of high school that I have always wanted to visit.  All of your great feedback is going into making this decision or us though so I really do appreciate you all taking the time to share your thoughts!

Like Packercruising said if your going to all the expense of flying to Europe why just a seven day cruise?  We did a 12 day Med cruise and a 12 day Baltic cruise with a 5 day precuise in front of both the cruises.  Even if you have to sell your first born  child go on the longer cruises with a precruise.  You wont regret it.

On 3/17/2019 at 9:32 PM, packercruising said:

Very basically, 10 days beats 7 days. Depends on how bad you want to see the Mediterranean. Even then, wouldn't you want it to be longer, if you are going to go to all the expense to get over there? Whatever you decide, have a good cruise!

FWIW...i agree...if the price is the same-ish...i'd choose 10 days.