Dolphin experience

Mljstr

We are taking our two 16 year old grandchildren on the Liberty in June. Both want to do a dolphin experience. I believe at least one is offered in each port, Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Jamaica. Any recommendations for which would be best for teenagers who are both excellent swimmers ( and two old grandparents who will be along as observers .)

Whichever port you decide on, just be sure you know what you’re getting.  A dolphin “experience” or dolphin “encounter” is often NOT a “swim with the dolphins”.  If your daughters are interested in interacting with the dolphins in the water, just make sure that is what you are getting.

T@WAAAYTOOO  Thanks for the caveat.  I am hoping someone who has done this will tell me how much time is actually spent swimming with the dolphins.  We have done the sting ray thing several times and have been pleased with the time and felt we got out money's worth. Trying to do the same with dolphins.

I haven't done those specific dolphin swim locations, but I did do the one in St. Kitts and I believe they are all operated by the same major organization, or at least follow the same general pattern.

All of us had to wear life vests, even if you were a good swimmer. In addition, apart from the few minutes for each main activity -- "cradling" the dolphin in the water, getting pushed, and getting pulled -- you are standing on a ledge that's only thigh-to-waist-deep in the water, depending on your height. All told, I think each person spends maybe 15 minutes in the water, 5 each for the "cradle", push, and pull. If you have the fourth activity where two dolphins are pushing you around, then figure another five minutes.

They deliberately limit the number of people in the water with the dolphins to just two at a time, so the dolphin doesn't get confused about who to interact with and probably also so it doesn't get upset or overwhelmed by too many people crowding its space. So the ledge is where you spend the bulk of your time waiting your turn, along with the secondary activities like getting a "hug and kiss" from the dolphin, as well as learning all the information about dolphins that the guides tell you.

I've done some research on this and Cozumel seems to be the least expensive place to do this.  We booked directly with RCI for 3 of us and the other 2 are doing the observer package which includes food and beverages.  There are two options in Cozumel and we picked Dolphinramus (spelling).

9 hours ago, Mljstr said:

@Hoski I looked up the Dolphinaria and it looks like that would be perfect; however, it won't let me buy the Observers admission. It says I have to check onboard. I wonder why that is? Were you  able to book on the cruise planner?

Yes we have to go to the Shore Excursion desk onboard to buy our two observer admissions.  Not sure why they don't sell these online but I've been checking since we booked the cruise months ago and they just don't offer the observer online.