Booking Next Cruise While On-Board

12 minutes ago, twangster said:

Thanks! I did check it out and it was from 2016. There were a number of other blogs that followed from 2017. Given how often RCL changes their programs, I wondered if anyone had any recent personal experience. Right now, it doesn't sound like a lot of benefit and it appears that there is some confusion over how it interacts with the refundable vs non-refundable deposits.

In the interest of full disclosure I'm not a big fan of Next.  

On more than one ship I've visited Next with my normal land travel agent on the phone and ended up booking with my agent over the phone as I walked away from Next.  

I still check with Next from time to time just to validate or see if I can get anything, even $50 in OBC better through Next.  Time and again I leave Next without booking anything.  Never hurts to check.

A lot depends on the category of cabin, how far out it is and if the stars align for you.  Now being Diamond Plus and receiving the reduced single supplement it seems so often I can do the same or better through a normal travel agent.  I tend to book refundable which is possible at Next but their refundable prices are not attractive in most cases.  They are all about NRDB.  

I've got three 2020 cruises I'm kicking the tires on and will check with Next again in April when I sail again but I'm not expecting much.

I will add one benefit of Next is a smaller deposit on some cruises.  

The deposit on a typical 7 night cruise is $250 but lately Next has been offering $100 deposits.

That can be a game changer for some people.  If you have to walk away from a $100 NRDB you only lose $100.  The savings of NRDB compared to refundable can be hundreds.  

No one likes losing $100 but if you stand to save $400 or more with a NRDB then the math and logic may work out for you.  

23 hours ago, twangster said:

I will add one benefit of Next is a smaller deposit on some cruises.  

+1 We visited NextCruise on each of our 3 cruises. We didn't do anything on the first two (booked #2, #3 and #4 with MEI from home) but on this last cruise we decided to book #5 (another 3-night Bahamas trip next February). We got the smaller deposits ($100) AND $75 of OBC for a junior suite. I checked the day we got home and would not have gotten the OBC. Otherwise, even today the price is still the same.