What makes freedom of the seas such a special ship

Mike_

I agree. For some reason, her sisters--Independence and Liberty--get overlooked. I'm thinking it's because she was first in the series and the itinerary she runs. Of course, she also now has Sabor.

It should be interesting once Liberty comes out of dry dock to see if she gets more attention.

We have done Freedom (1x), Liberty (3x) and Indy (1x) ... back on Freedom in a few weeks :)

Of the three I remember Freedom as the best of the sisters ... Indy doesn't seem to have gotten the love from RCI since she was banished to Europe for half the time .. no DreamWorks and just didn't feel quite as "fresh" as the other sisters (had a great itinerary and a great time on the cruise though.)

Between Liberty and Freedom, we did 5 nts on Liberty each time vs 7 on Freedom and I think that is part of the difference there as we have definitely learned we like 7 better :)

I don't think the two ships are far apart though ... although Freedom did get a new face lift this year so she is probably slightly prettier until Liberty gets hers (next year I think?)

I think it has to do with the fact that Freedom is in a very popular cruise port (Port Canaveral) and offers 7-night sailings consistently.  Liberty and Independence are constantly being moved all around and offer different sailings. Also, I've sailed on Freedom a number of times so that has some impact also, given my anecdotes and stories come from there.

While Freedom does get much of the attention of the class, I wouldn't take it as a ding on the other ships in the class. Liberty and Indy are GREAT ships in their own right.

Liberty and Independence are constantly being moved all around and offer different sailings.

More than that, they've both had regular sailings in Europe, where the US audience isn't as prevalent. I've noticed similar comments at Cruise Critic about non-US sailings; they just don't get the roll call activity that a US-based itinerary does.

It seems that we domestic cruisers don't talk much about the ships that aren't in our own backyard.

It seems that we domestic cruisers don't talk much about the ships that aren't in our own backyard.

That's definitely a product of convenience.  Cruises out of Florida and NYC will get more discussion than other ports, even in USA (Galveston, Baltimore, etc).

I would venture to say cruise fans are disproportionately represented online on the east coast of the USA.

We've cruised Independence of the Seas twice out of Port Everglades; once on an 8 night and the other on a 6 night. Both were great experiences and I can't knock the ship or either itinerary for any reason. The ship was in good condition and the crew treated us very well both times.

Our most recent cruise was a 7 nighter on Freedom Of Seas out of Port Canaveral going to the Western Caribbean. Along with Canaveral being a closer drive, because of our two young grandsons, the availability of the Dreamworks Experience was a huge draw. With Port Canaveral being a closer drive, and the availability of the Dreamworks Experience, we have scheduled two additonal cruises from Port Canaveral. We will be on FOS for the Western Caribbean again next fall and on Oasis of the Seas in early 2017.

With FOS going south and Oasis moving north in November 2016, I suspect we will begin talking about Oasis much more than Freedom. 

The other nice benefit of crusing from Port Canaveral is the beautiful and wonderfully efficient new cruise terminal.

Trying the new terminal in a few weeks and looking forward to it (Matt I think we have to add this one to list of items that make you a cruise nerd ... looking forward to one terminal or another in particular)

Not crazy about swapping Oasis and Freedom as we really like Canaveral as an option but O class seems to be consistently priced much higher and we really weren't Wowed by Allure vs Freedom.

Matt I think we have to add this one to list of items that make you a cruise nerd ... looking forward to one terminal or another in particular

Yes!  When you are excited about a cruise terminal, that is definitely a sign of being a cruise nerd

Yep. There she is. Never noticed her !

WHAT! When I hear Freedom that's the first thing to pop in my mind, I think it looks super cool. That's the coolest piece of art that iv seen on a royal ship, I haven't been on Freedom yet but I really want to just for her.

Oh well, now you know. I'm sure there's some piece of art iv never noticed that your a fan of. Although I must say, she looks pretty hard to miss :)