San Juan and boarding

Lwlawlor

My husband and I are cruising April 9th on adventure of the seas. We are arriving a day early. We want to take time and explore San juan. When reading the posts, everyone talks about arriving early to beat the crowds. How crowded is it for us to arrive mid to late afternoon? Should we check in early and leave the ship?

While I haven't boarded at San Juan(I will be on April 23 for Adventure as well), I always recommend getting on board as early as possible which is usually around 11am. Usually smaller crowds then. You are paying for that first day(meals, drinks etc) plus its a great chance to get familiar with the boat before the crowds get on as well.

I am not sure about getting on the boat to check in and then get back off to explore and then get back on before it leaves. I have never done that in any previous trips. Not sure if that's possible or not..someone here with more experience maybe able to confirm that option.

But arriving the day early is the way to do that. Take that day to explore and maybe the morning of the cruise as well.

When I sailed out of San Juan, we arrived early but we had also flown in the day before and spent much of that day exploring.

Lines are greatest for embarkation in the afternoon just because that is when most people get there.  Will it be unbearable? Probably not but lines are shortest in the morning.  I think that's really the difference we are talking about.

We sailed out of SJ last January and we got up and took a taxi to OSJ and went to the fort and walked around some the morning of the cruise.  We then took a taxi back to the hotel to get the bags and then went to the ship.  The lines were minimal.  Because of the fact that the boarding time is SJ is so long with the late sailing, and the fact that people arrive throughout the day, I don't know if the lines are ever that bad.  They may actually be worse early because of the people who go in the day before all getting there early.  We arrived at the terminal around 12:00 as I recall and we zipped right on.

We sailed out of SJU at least six, maybe seven times (I don't remember what port we sailed from on Empress).  Lines are generally longest around 1:00-3:30pm due to people coming in on same-day flights from the mainland.  

My first sailing from SJU was on a Carnival ship; we were literally the last couple to board as our flight landed at 6:45pm or so and sailing was at 8pm.  There were no lines then, LOL. 

I'd either get there early, check in and dump the luggage and head out (or stay on board), or haul your stuff around and check in later after exploring.  We've learned to avoid the mid afternoon crunch time, you have to stand outside during part of the checkin process and the heat can be unbearable if you just flew in from the frigid north.

I sailed out of San Juan in January and loved the old city. Didn't do any exploring beforehand but did so after. Royal had an excursion that picked us up after the sailing. They took us and our luggage to the forts and let us walk around the old city, then brought us to the airport. For us it was perfect, and only about 30 dollars a person.

Suggest you focus on enjoying Old San Juan! If that means boarding nearer departure time no problem - just don't be late of course. Since everybody attempts & recommends "beating the crowd" by boarding early, boarding early is most likely more crowded. Enjoy your Port of Embarkation city and board when you want and go with the flow as you will with any boarding time. You will be on the ship all week and have plenty of time to explore the ship. I've never heard of a cruise line running out of food, so getting to the 1st day buffet zoo is not all that essential. If you are a traveler immersing in the local culture will be much more rewarding than rushing to your week long digs - the ship is not where you are going, but rather how you will get there! Don't forget to stop by Barrachina, 104 Calle Fortaleza, for the best Pina Colada in town, they discovered it!

We sailed out of San Juan last May on the AOS and got there a day early to explore Old San Juan.  It was about a  45min taxi ride from hotel to the port and arrived about noon.  The lines seemed long but RC has always done a good job of moving people along.  We tried a Grand Suite this time and we are diamond members so we had no wait time for checking in.  I don't know for sure but I doubt they will let you get on the ship then get off to explore.  There didn't seem much to see around the port area so if you want to go to Old San Juan it will be a taxi ride 45min one way.  If you are a first time cruiser make sure you have your correct paperwork and DON'T BE LATE.   Have fun....Mike