Laundry Details

micahd

For the wash & press services and the “fill the bag” services that are common can you specify how the items are laundered?

I have many wool and nylon items that need to washed on cold cycles and low-heat or air dried. If everything is just thrown in to a hot wash cycle and dried at full heat/speed I’d be losing some expensive clothing.

The alternatives I see are dry cleaning services or hand washing in the sink.

Any tips or advice from the experts?

During an All Access tour that stopped at the laundry facilities the local supervisor cautioned us not to remove tags from our clothing since that allows them to see the care instructions.

Having said that I'm note sure I'd put items I can't afford to part with into the fill-a-bag laundry bag.  T-shirts, shorts, bathing suits, underwear and socks - no problems.  Other items you care about?  They may not be a good fit for the cram-a-bag laundry service.

Great, now all I can think about when needing laundry done on a ship is @twangster's patent pending Cram a Bag laundry service.  Now improved by the use of bots!

But seriously if you have items that could be ruined by improper handling, I highly recommend doing them in your sink.  The commercial grade washers and dryers onboard a ship might not be too careful with your easily ruined items.  You can also opt for dry cleaning as well if something could be ruined by washing or drying at the wrong speed.  So like delicate cold wash only (is the only thing I can think of that would have both speed and temp restrictions) I'd really do in your sink or have it dry cleaned.  

This is one thing DCL did right, having several launderettes on several decks. On our last sailing they had the machines synced with the DCL cruise app and it would notify you when your washer or dryer was finished. I couldn't see this on an Oasis class ship, but anything at 4500 or less guests is doable IMHO.  

Thanks for the help everyone.

And I agree with @Baked Alaska if I could access a laundry facility on board it would be a game changer. I could easily do 7 days in a carry-on if I could do my own laundry.

Disney seems nice but we are not “Disney People” and based on what I’ve seen we would be rolling our eyes the entire time.

I find I can get extra duty from many clothes.  I often live in shorts during the day.  In the evening I'll throw on some long pants for a couple of hours then go back to shorts.  Since I'm only wearing my long pants for a few hours I can get several day's use from them before laundering.  It's not like I stay in my long pants all day long.  

The patent pending cram-a-bag is great for underwear, socks, t-shirts, shorts etc. so those are items that need it more are dealt with. 

1 hour ago, micahd said:

Thanks for the help everyone.

And I agree with @Baked Alaska if I could access a laundry facility on board it would be a game changer. I could easily do 7 days in a carry-on if I could do my own laundry.

Disney seems nice but we are not “Disney People” and based on what I’ve seen we would be rolling our eyes the entire time.

Princess also has laundries.  Elites get free pick up/return laundry service, but the actual washer/dryer/ironing laundry is really popular.  I think the tokens were $3.50 per load for wash or dry.  That's one of the features I prefer about Princess.  But 3 hours of free limited menu drinking on Royal is pretty nice, too.  

Disney may be OK for families but I don't fit in there.  Asking one of the character handlers if Sleazy, Drunky and Bubba the dwarves only come out in the evening would either result in a stern talking to by Officer Stick®  the security guard  or a trip to the Disney Brig (The second happiest place on Earth® ).  

13 minutes ago, 4ensic said:

Disney may be OK for families but I don't fit in there.  Asking one of the character handlers if Sleazy, Drunky and Bubba the dwarves only come out in the evening would either result in a stern talking to by Officer Stick®  the security guard  or a trip to the Disney Brig (The second happiest place on Earth® ).  

I don't fit in on Disney either.  Did them when my kids were young but now I like to take pictures and single old guy taking pictures with children around looks really bad.  

3 hours ago, twangster said:

I find I can get extra duty from many clothes.  I often live in shorts during the day.  In the evening I'll throw on some long pants for a couple of hours then go back to shorts.  Since I'm only wearing my long pants for a few hours I can get several day's use from them before laundering.  It's not like I stay in my long pants all day long.  

The patent pending cram-a-bag is great for underwear, socks, t-shirts, shorts etc. so those are items that need it more are dealt with. 

Yeh, Caribbean is much easier to pack. On a Caribbean 7 nighter,  we each take our train/carry on luggage, i.e., thinner fabrics, less bulky shoes. I'm thinking of our Alaska Southbound this summer: will fly Springfield, MO to Denver to Anchorage with my hiking boots on, my Columbia bugaboo jacket (ball it up for a pillow on the flight), jeans, flannel shirt worn as a jacket with t-shirt underneath. . . and all 9 pairs of undies! ?

We recently took a 12 night cruise with extra days and travel we were gone 17 days. I had the same dilemma as you. I found out the laundry was really geared to PJs, underwear, socks, etc.  Even though they sometime run a special to fill the bag, and we have a diamond discount coupon, I thought it was expensive and not particularly geared to our needs. Jeans, shirts, blouses would probably be handled best by dry cleaning. 

I ended up hand washing shirts, socks and even jeans and hanging to dry. I took a small bottle of liquid laundry detergent and a spray bottle of Downy Wrinkle Release. It was cheaper than the laundry service or the baggage fee.

Hope this helps.

19 hours ago, twangster said:

Same here - 1 pair of slacks, couple pairs of shorts. My kids drive me crazy when they wear something for a couple hours and  throw it in the hamper.